PDA

View Full Version : Smart Cars!

sucka4chix
05-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Anybody got any info on smart cars, pros and cons. Anybody seen them in person. I don't think they're available stateside yet, but I thought I saw one on the highway. I think it would be great since all I do is putt around town with no stuff to carry anyway. Been waiting for a micro car that actually has some features on it (like climate control, trip computer).Damn Mini Cooper seemed perfect---it's loaded but I test drove one and it felt awful and the sunroof was noisy and I read it's problematic. Lastly you have to run premium in it so the miles per dollar (which I always use because it's more significant than miles per gallon) isn't really that great. So now I'm curious about the Smart.

Jericho
05-11-2007, 09:18 PM
A mate of mine owns one.
He reckons they're the dogs bollox. [personally, i think they're vile].

US Smart Site:
http://www.smartusa.com/

sucka4chix
05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
A mate of mine owns one.
He reckons they're the dogs bollox. [personally, i think they're vile].

US Smart Site:
http://www.smartusa.com/
Vile when compared to other little, almost spartan vehicles that are popular across the pond or when compared to American-esque cars?

Jericho
05-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Vile when compared to other little, almost spartan vehicles that are popular across the pond or when compared to American-esque cars?

I don't know what it is, there's just something dreadfully 'toytown' about them that annoys the crap out of me [yeah, yeah, i know, very rational]. :shrug

jamesb121
05-14-2007, 02:31 AM
its a great little car, just remember its built to a price. and the gearbox may drive you mental, but as town car it is unbeatable, this is mine, tuned up by Brabus would cost $38,000 in the US but i wanted the best of the best, plus you get a paddle shift gearbox which fixes things a bit. Its also a Mercedes-Benz on the cheap! ill be happy 2 answer any questions about the smart coz i love them!

ftgw
05-14-2007, 03:49 AM
An independent dealer just opened in Hawaii. They have been parking them around town for advertising. The are around $25000 here.

NjTranceAddict
05-14-2007, 03:52 AM
I read everything on their website, and I don't care how safe they say that car is. I'd never drive something that small unless all the other vehicles on the road were the same size. I'll stick to my SUV, thanks.

EDIT- I also think they're hideous looking.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-14-2007, 04:26 AM
I read everything on their website, and I don't care how safe they say that car is. I'd never drive something that small unless all the other vehicles on the road were the same size. I'll stick to my SUV, thanks.

+cosign

sucka4chix
05-14-2007, 06:30 PM

Now that I'm older (and wiser?), I could give a fuck about a car. It's a money draining source of stress for me. I always said I wish I had a one-seater car, 'cause I'm the only one who's ever in it! I did the souped- up- ground fx- candy paint- booming system- shiny rims bullcrap and all it got me was alot of unwanted attention and police reports to fill out when shit got stolen. So, if I can get a car that gets me from A to B,cool... And if nobody else likes it, even better. I only wish I could find one that runs on water, 'cause I'm tired of playing this oil company game.

sucka4chix
05-14-2007, 06:40 PM
its a great little car, just remember its built to a price. and the gearbox may drive you mental, but as town car it is unbeatable, this is mine, tuned up by Brabus would cost $38,000 in the US but i wanted the best of the best, plus you get a paddle shift gearbox which fixes things a bit. Its also a Mercedes-Benz on the cheap! ill be happy 2 answer any questions about the smart coz i love them!
I got li'l info on the website... I guess things are still up in the air for the US.
I really wanted some specs like the type of engine, engine size, does A/C work, will car still drive with A/C on,LOL, and how much leg/headroom is there REALLY, since I'm 6'2" (1.9 m ?). What's up w/ gear box...too tight?

BlackAdder
05-14-2007, 06:45 PM
It looks ornamental...heh...

osna
05-14-2007, 08:42 PM
They sell quite well here in the UK, there's even a convertible model. And thereare two or four seat versions

scorpion
05-14-2007, 11:05 PM
I have seen a lot of them but never drive or been a passanger in some.
Sure they are practic in the city but in that case I should prefer a motorcycklel. 8)

sucka4chix
05-15-2007, 02:28 AM
I have seen a lot of them but never drive or been a passanger in some.
Sure they are practic in the city but in that case I should prefer a motorcycklel. 8)
Got one of those, but it sux in the rain and cold.

Balcanoid
05-15-2007, 05:42 PM

This car rules!!! Crash test passed with highest rank! Economy drive for real...

iloveshemales77
05-15-2007, 07:36 PM
A lot of people park them nose to the pavement in Europe. Not bad to drive. But don't accelerate to hard as they tend to topple over onto their rear, which is no problem actually 'cos you just get out and push'em back onto their wheels and motor on. I've even seen a motorhome with a garage at the back containing one of those puppies!

jamesb121
05-16-2007, 02:13 AM
heres the new smart you'll be getting in the US, slightly bigger now with a 3 cylinder 1-litre engine with a turbo giving 84bhp. It will take 2 people of any size as the seats are staggered so you dont rub shoulders. The gearbox has been sorted by Getrag now 5-speeds rather than 6 and a longer wheelbase so the ride is much better. Heres a pic.

BeardedOne
05-16-2007, 02:34 AM
I've been reading about these of late. The US models are being retailed out of Kirkwood, Missouri (Not far from St. Louis) so I was thinking of stopoing in to play with one on my trip out west later this summer.

Having had someone squeeze a Morris into the back of one of my ambulances back in the 70's, I thought it might be cool to have one of these in tow for local driving when I was on long trips (Such as my 7500 mile jaunt back in 2005). They're expensive as hell, but when putzing around the San Francisco hills at $3.30 a gallon, it about balances out.

I bought my SUV (A Saturn VUE) because of the height/comfort that I needed. For local getabout driving, the Smart would suffice as I wouldn't be in it that much.

As for safety concerns, they are more likely to get jammed than crushed, so I would feel safe in one.