PDA

View Full Version : The GOP Debate: A Neanderthal Competition?

chefmike
05-04-2007, 06:11 PM
GOP Debate: A Competition to See Who Could Be the Biggest Neanderthal
Arianna Huffington

Last night on Anderson Cooper 360°, Anderson Cooper asked David Gergen, the Weekly Standard's Stephen Hayes, and me to pick our headline for the GOP debate. "A Competition to See Who Could Be the Biggest Neanderthal" was mine. The Republican Ten seemed to be competing over:

Who would stay in Iraq the longest? Who would cut taxes the deepest? Who would be alright with firing gay Americans from their jobs? Who would jump the highest if Roe v. Wade was reversed? Who would build the biggest fence around America? Who would put an end to stem cell research the fastest? Who would reject evolution most passionately?

Stephen Hayes countered that it was a good night for Republicans if they were called Neanderthals by Arianna Huffington. But the problem for the Republican Party as it presented itself to the nation last night is not that it was at odds with my views, but that it is at odds with the views of the American people. By significant majorities, the American people believe in the science of evolution, don't want Roe overturned, don't want to turn back the clock job discrimination laws, and do want to bring our troops home from Iraq.

Flashing back to the Reagan era is one thing; flashing back to the Dark Ages is quite another.

Felicia Katt
05-04-2007, 06:38 PM
I saw a headline that read GOP Face off, but I thought it was about a Cheney hunting trip.

My bad,it was about the debate LOL

meow

FK

Realgirls4me
05-04-2007, 07:59 PM
I saw a headline that read GOP Face off, but I thought it was about a Cheney hunting trip.

My bad,it was about the debate LOL

meow

FK

LOL !!! Now that was funny, Felicia.

I almost fell off my chair when Mitt Romney said he would strengthen Defense ... Again? I guess one has to play to the house assembled. Reagan increased defense spending on a credit card, gave us our debt, and all while putting hundreds of thousands of Americans in the streets not seen since the Great Depression. Nice, huh?

This will blow you away, and I'm not talking ice cream:

http://www.benjerry.com/americanpie/bens_bb.cfm

:(

Realgirls4me
05-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Scary, huh?

trish
05-04-2007, 08:42 PM
even though i was home i taped it instead of watching it. couldn't bring myself to watch those clowns tell me how they're going to ruin the country and erode our democracy further. this weekend i'm going to fix myself a good stiff drink, sit down and force myself to watch it.

Quinn
05-04-2007, 10:48 PM
I wanted to see it, but given the choice between staying home and watching that or going to see a Fishbone show with a group of friends, I opted for Fishbone. Setting my DVR was too much work before I left, so I still have no idea what in the hell actually happened.

-Quinn

chefmike
05-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Are you talking about the same Fishbone that appeared in Eddie Murphy's '48 Hours'...if so, it must've been a fun show.

And was Eddie there?

And if he was, was he with a TS?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

spooker609
05-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Of course the Democrat debate was so full of truth and sincerity, I realy love John Edwards line about how Americans would have to learn to sacrifice if we were going to save the earth from global warming, go google "John Edwards Home" Nice little 28,200 sq foot sacrafice for the earth(probably clear cut a few acres of rain forest for this) with 2 garages (I wonder how many hybrids and biodiesels he has) a 10,800 sq ft main house and a recreation building that contains a basketball court, a squash court, two stages, a bedroom, kitchen, bathrooms, swimming pool, a four-story tower, and a room designated “John’s Lounge.”

Most politicians lie most of the time, all politicians lie some of the time. It doesn't matter what issue is your issue, when you pick the side that represents that issue, they will screw you on something else. I think they all get together and divide all the issues so that there realy isn't a good side to vote for. Oh well I could go on and on .... since our states primary is so late it just comes down to the lesser of evils for me anyway. They make the rules and take big piles of money, some put in Switzerland some in their freezer.

http://carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=3848

Quinn
05-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Are you talking about the same Fishbone that appeared in Eddie Murphy's '48 Hours'...if so, it must've been a fun show.

I honestly don't know if they were in "48 Hours" or not. They've been around since 79 though, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Their shows have a reputation for being really crazy, but this one was – by far – the craziest I've ever been to. The fact that it was held on a large tour boat with absolutely no security might have had something to do with it. Great crowd. Great band.

-Quinn

chefmike
05-05-2007, 02:33 AM
I just looked it up Quinn, and it was The Busboys that I was thinking of...my bad...

spooker609
05-05-2007, 04:04 AM
anyone but her

Quinn
05-05-2007, 04:25 AM
anyone but her

I can't stand her either. I wouldn't say absolutley anyone other than her, but I would say pretty damn near anyone other than her.

-Quinn

guyone
05-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Have you given her a fair chance?

qeuqheeg222
05-05-2007, 07:55 AM
none of those guys in the front of the pack can win the hearts and mind of duped bible thumpers from the south...and the ones that might get this vote wont get anybody form anywhere else or the big business constituents...anyone see the docudrama on msnnbc abut gwb..first run for office done by pelosi's daughter..it is just like that tom robbins movie..really scary........

chefmike
05-05-2007, 03:32 PM
none of those guys in the front of the pack can win the hearts and mind of duped bible thumpers from the south...and the ones that might get this vote wont get anybody form anywhere else or the big business constituents...anyone see the docudrama on msnnbc abut gwb..first run for office done by pelosi's daughter..it is just like that tom robbins movie..really scary........

Yup....and what was the name of that Robbins flick...was it 'Bob Roberts'?

I've also seen the documentary done by Pelosi's daughter...

Quinn
05-05-2007, 05:05 PM
none of those guys in the front of the pack can win the hearts and mind of duped bible thumpers from the south...and the ones that might get this vote wont get anybody form anywhere else or the big business constituents

This is a good point. The gamble that's being taken – and it's a very risky one – is that they can attract enough independents to compensate. They are also gambling that come election time, the Christian extremist wing will turn out to vote rather than see a Democrat get in office. Frankly, I think the viability of this approach all depends upon which candidate the Democrats eventually run and how that candidate is perceived by independents.

-Quinn