PDA

View Full Version : Photographers

NYTSJulie
04-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Ok I am in need of some new pictures, I am looking for someone good, anyone know of any Photographers in the NY/NJ/CT area?

Kisses

alwaysforyou
04-17-2007, 04:23 AM
is your avatar your actually you

NYTSJulie
04-17-2007, 04:24 AM
Yes thats me

jotapaisa
04-17-2007, 04:29 AM
you are gorgeus greetings from colombia

MrsKellyPierce
04-17-2007, 05:17 AM
What about James?

NadiaUSA
04-17-2007, 05:46 AM
Watch out for some photographers, they maintain the rights to the photos thay take unless it is implicitly stated in a release.

I get about 3 or 4 offers a week in my email from these guys. Sometime thay are pro or semi pro am, sometimes thay are scammer with a camera.

Anyway, they have the rights to the pics by default. I take my own.

alwaysforyou
04-17-2007, 05:57 AM
All I have to say is damn....you are beautiful.

AllanahStarrNYC
04-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Darling I HIGHLY recommend www.JameSmithImage.com

He has been doing all of my work for the past six months or so and he is DIVINE. Our latest shoot from Sat.

NYTSJulie
04-17-2007, 06:09 AM
Darling I HIGHLY recommend www.JameSmithImage.com (http://www.JameSmithImage.com)

He has been doing all of my work for the past six months or so and he is DIVINE. Our latest shoot from Sat.

Yes I was thinking of James Smith, I have talked to him before.

I get a lot of photographers on OMP that want to shoot me, but I want someone that I dont have to hide the T from cause I want implied nudes and it might be a little hard to hide the meat with implied nudes, LOL.

NYTSJulie
04-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Watch out for some photographers, they maintain the rights to the photos thay take unless it is implicitly stated in a release.

I get about 3 or 4 offers a week in my email from these guys. Sometime thay are pro or semi pro am, sometimes thay are scammer with a camera.

The only time I will get nude in front of a camera is when they are not able to use my pics, that's usually when I pay for a shoot. I have done pin up or portrait pics usually TFP (trade for pics), and have allowed some of my "cheese-cake" pictures to be sold as stock photos.

Ecstatic
04-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Julie, in NY I think you've already named the best, James Smith and Maya Guez. A TG friend of mine has worked with Maya and loves her work. Although I am a photographer, I know that I can't touch their studio work, not even close. Honestly, I wish I could shoot like they do. Now, if you ever want to do an outdoors, nature shoot--lakeside, mountains, woods--let me know, as that's where I shine. But for studio work, much as I would love to shoot your beautiful self, I think you should go to Smith or Guez.

AllanahStarrNYC
04-17-2007, 06:37 AM
Yes I have worked with Maya as well and her work is amazing too. They both have different techniques but the work is equally good. I recommend both.

NYTSJulie
04-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Yes I have worked with Maya as well and her work is amazing too. They both have different techniques but the work is equally good. I recommend both.

Thanks bitch

MacShreach
04-17-2007, 12:59 PM

They do. Copyright law is straightforward, the "author of the work," in this case the photographer, legally holds the copyright, not the commissioner of the work.

The situation is complicated in some jurisdictions eg the US because a "Right of Property in a likeness" has been established, which essentially means that, under certain circumstances, if a photog takes a pic of someone and then sells that pic for 4 sqazillion dollars, the someone is entitled to a cut. That is one of the reasons pros ask for Model Releases to be signed, though there are many others too.

Now Julie, you are on record as saying you like to keep control of images and you won't do anything that might come back to haunt you, which in my book makes you a Very Sensible Girl.

You or anyone in your position should NOT rely on a model release, because a model release is designed to protect the interests of the photographer against claims by the model, not the other way around.

Instead you need a proper contract of engagement which clearly states the terms under which you are hiring the photographer and includes a strict and binding copyright waiver that formally transfers the ownership of the copyright of the images to you, the commissioner. Remember that this has to be worded carefully because the law states the copyright is the photog's and you cannot enforce an illegal contract. I can't advise you on the specific terms because of detail differences in the law but you must make sure that the contract CLEARLY STATES that a payment is being made specifically for the transfer of the copyright. I'm sure there are model agencies or other professionals in your jurisdiction who can help you with a prepared contract.

Now what you have to be very careful of is that, as I have said before, any such contract can only be enforced through civil litigation and thus is a "stable door" defence-- the pics are out and the damage is done BEFORE you can sue.

Therfore IMO in order to protect your rights you should actually BUY all the media that the photog uses and ensure that no copies are made-- buy the film and process it yourself, or take the cards direct from the camera. You MUST make sure that this is written into your contract.

<Edit: Just to be sure we're clear, the contract should include BOTH the copyright waiver and the agreement to the purchase of the media, since without the waiver you can't legally use the images.>

Hope that helps

Nadia, if you take all your own pics, you're a very good photog indeed, I really like your stuff. Well done.

MacShreach
04-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Can I just say, as a photographer, and in the light of very recent events, and further given that I have been unpleasantly close to a similar event, that I would really, really, REALLY appreciate it if photographers stopped referring to what they do as "shooting" people.

A camera is not a gun, and it does not shoot anyone. If anything a camera is a feminine object, because it takes in that which is outside of itself and transforms it.

I have not "shot" anyone or anything for a long long time, but I have taken thousands of pictures.

Just my 0.2.

deke
04-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Nice dress, Nadia!

http://www.hungangels.com/board/files/nadia_1375_103.jpg

Ecstatic
04-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Can I just say, as a photographer, and in the light of very recent events, and further given that I have been unpleasantly close to a similar event, that I would really, really, REALLY appreciate it if photographers stopped referring to what they do as "shooting" people.

A camera is not a gun, and it does not shoot anyone. If anything a camera is a feminine object, because it takes in that which is outside of itself and transforms it.

I have not "shot" anyone or anything for a long long time, but I have taken thousands of pictures.

Just my 0.2.
Point taken, Mac, but the verb "shoot" meaning "to take a picture with a camera" has been an accepted part of the English lexicon for many decades, at the least. You'll find it as a standard definition in any dictionary: I checked Webster's Ninth New Collegiate, The American Heritage New College, Encarta, and my 1971 OED for example. So while preferring "take photographs" to "shoot" is a fine sentiment, it doesn't hold up in usage.

NadiaUSA
04-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the complement, Here is the other photo from the same day.

MacShreach
04-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Point taken, Mac, but the verb "shoot" meaning "to take a picture with a camera" has been an accepted part of the English lexicon for many decades, at the least.

It's still offensive.

MacShreach
04-18-2007, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the complement, Here is the other photo from the same day.

Thank you; simple but effective.

TsVanessa69
04-18-2007, 04:30 AM
how would I contact maya Guez, she used to have a magazine called "Simply Georgous" a while back, and I appeared as a contestant from that years Miss Continental Pageant, she e-mailed me about a shoot, the I lost contact and she doesn't do the magazine anymore. By the way Kelli, how was your shoot with the guy from Wisc?? I have another shoot with him Saturday

Ecstatic
04-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Point taken, Mac, but the verb "shoot" meaning "to take a picture with a camera" has been an accepted part of the English lexicon for many decades, at the least.

It's still offensive.
I don't think so. You take offense at it, but that doesn't make it offensive. The verb has multiple meanings and applications; yes, you shoot a gun, but water shoots from a firehose or geyser. I'm shooting my mouth off right now.

Ecstatic
04-18-2007, 06:33 AM
how would I contact maya Guez, she used to have a magazine called "Simply Georgous" a while back, and I appeared as a contestant from that years Miss Continental Pageant, she e-mailed me about a shoot, the I lost contact and she doesn't do the magazine anymore. By the way Kelli, how was your shoot with the guy from Wisc?? I have another shoot with him Saturday
Vanessa, start here:
http://www.mayaguezphoto.com/

Her site also appears on musecube:

http://www.musecube.com/mayaguezphoto/

MacShreach
04-18-2007, 10:44 AM

It's still offensive.
I don't think so. You take offense at it, but that doesn't make it offensive. The verb has multiple meanings and applications; yes, you shoot a gun, but water shoots from a firehose or geyser. I'm shooting my mouth off right now.

You may possibly be taking this too personally; I had actually been reading another thread where the term was being used before I looked in here, and it was not your usage that sparked me off. I just happened to be next to you.

However having said that, I beg to differ with you very firmly; if some people find a term offensive, then that term is offensive. Saying otherwise is a bit like saying that certain words of racial prejudice are not offensive because the people who use them don't find them offensive.

Now I don't think this is on the same level of offense, but I can assure you that anyone encountering me, while I am working as a photographer, who asks if "I am going on a shoot" is going to get the verbal equivalent of a swifty in the nads. No client has referred to a "shoot" for as long as I can remember and I actually don't remember the last time anyone referred to a picture as a "shot." Maybe I have a very PC clientele, I don't know. Possibly the Dunblane effect is more widespread than I give credit.

I'm not alone in this BTW, I know a lot of colleagues who don't like it, and the number has increased rapidly since Dunblane. But in the photographic community worldwide many people avoid this terminology these days and I frankly don't believe this is down to my efforts over the years.

Apart from its offensive connotations the word is an absurd term for the photographic process, which takes light in. A quick perusal of Chamber's shows that every other use of the word infers a sudden and forceful projection outwards.

IMO it's a usage that needs to be eradicated, so I repeat my request and ask people not to use it around me, because I find it offensive.

GroobySteven
04-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Are you serious? Your getting offended at photographers calling themselves shooters or shooting a model? That's rather pedantic.

A photographer shot is in general usage and not offensive in any way - what next - let's ban shooting pool? How about I shot my load yesterday? Let's have a go on the water chute!

Were you the guy who supported changing the name of a blackboard in a school to a chalkboard?

Your entitled to call yourself a photographer - but don't get all pissy when people use the shoot word, where will it stop?

seanchai

MacShreach
04-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Are you serious? Your getting offended at photographers calling themselves shooters or shooting a model? That's rather pedantic.

A photographer shot is in general usage and not offensive in any way - what next - let's ban shooting pool? How about I shot my load yesterday? Let's have a go on the water chute!

Were you the guy who supported changing the name of a blackboard in a school to a chalkboard?

Your entitled to call yourself a photographer - but don't get all pissy when people use the shoot word, where will it stop?

seanchai

Yes I am serious, I have no knowledge of anything about blackboards, I call a stopcock a stopcock, "chute" and "shoot" are two different words and yes, believe me, sunshine, I am entitled to call myself a photographer.

And it's still an offensive usage.

GroobySteven
04-18-2007, 12:18 PM
"Chute" and "shoot" are two different words ... no shit? They sound the same when pronounced?

About 10 years ago in the UK, a council passed a law to ban calling a blackboard, a blackboard. On the grounds it may offend black persons.

You really haven't explained though why you find it offensive? I think most people know a camera and a gun are different things. Many words in our language have multiple usage. It's certainly a case of pedantic or over sensitivity. Are you going to get offended in a pub when someone shoots pool or not? Come on son, get real.
seanchai

MacShreach
04-18-2007, 12:34 PM
"Chute" and "shoot" are two different words ... no shit? They sound the same when pronounced?

So what? You mean as in site & sight; you & yew; or are you just saying that board is the same as bored? Your point here is?

About 10 years ago in the UK, a council passed a law to ban calling a blackboard, a blackboard. On the grounds it may offend black persons.

Well I had nothing to do with it, I assure you.

You really haven't explained though why you find it offensive?

You really haven't read the thread, have you?

Are you going to get offended in a pub when someone shoots pool or not?

Certainly not--why would I?

Come on son, get real.
seanchai Your son? I don't think so.

And you know something? It's still offensive. You can use it if you like, because I can't stop you; but if you choose to, you are only revealing yourself.

wombat33
04-18-2007, 12:40 PM

It's still offensive.

I have been a photographer for 15 years now and I use shoot all the time. I think it's tota;;y fine and an industry term.

Plus sometimes we use the word in another way "Oh Shoot, I forgot my laundry"

GroobySteven
04-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Revealing myself as what?

Why are you offended at photography shooting yet not pool shooting?

I think it's you who needs to re-read your posts. Your correct you can't stop me from using it but by stating that it's an offensive word to use, without just reason and by stating that if I continue to use it, I'm "revealing" myself as something other than sensible and of sound mind - does offend me.

It's way over-sensitive and just immature to stop using words - or to encourage others to which are not offensive, are not slanderous and are simply, a word that is in common usage. As I stated, where does it stop?

I very much doubt the tragic Dunblane shootings had anything to do with the cease of usage of the word but I've seen no change in it's usage. Maybe it's with living in the US for the last few years and I'll notice the change in the UK.

Ok sunshine?
seanchai

MacShreach
04-18-2007, 12:55 PM
I have been a photographer for 15 years now and I use shoot all the time. I think it's tota;;y fine and an industry term.

Yeah, well, some of us have been here longer, not that it matters. Anyway in the light of recent events in your country, perhaps, speaking as a photographer and colleague, you might like to re-evaluate what you are saying when you say you are going off to "shoot some people." Now if you still feel that it's cool to say that, after thinking about that and what it means and what someone who had lost a loved one in this way might feel if they heard you say that, fine, that is your conscience.

All I am saying to you, as one photographer to another, is that having seen the results of a madman with a gun "shooting" people for myself, I find the term as applied to photography deeply offensive; I don't use it and I don't like it when other people do. That simple.

Plus sometimes we use the word in another way "Oh Shoot, I forgot my laundry"

LOL that's a euphemism for "shit"

MacShreach
04-18-2007, 12:56 PM
seanchai

I refer you to my previous answers, which you should actually read.

Son.

GroobySteven
04-18-2007, 01:55 PM
seanchai

Son.

I'll give it a shot, kid! They didn't make sense the first 4 times I read it, 5th time lucky? Unlikely...

MacShreach
04-18-2007, 02:00 PM
[quote=seanchai]
seanchai

Son.

Son.

GroobySteven
04-18-2007, 02:03 PM
[quote=seanchai]
seanchai

Son.

Son.

I'll give it a shot, kid! They didn't make sense the first 4 times I read it, 5th time lucky? Unlikely...

MacShreach
04-18-2007, 02:24 PM
LOL

GroobySteven
04-18-2007, 02:47 PM
LOL

:wink: