View Full Version : Alcohol!!!!!!

MrsKellyPierce
03-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Don't drink...but when I used to Tequilla

francisfkudrow
03-02-2007, 07:53 AM
If I'm drinking whatever I feel like: Vodka and cranberry juice.

If I feel the need to drink something "manly": Jack and coke.

Rory
03-02-2007, 08:00 AM
refreshing!!

norcalchillin
03-02-2007, 08:01 AM
i like me some rolling rock when it comes to beer. i have to say that patron is the liquor to drink. i could live off of that stuff.

03-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Budweiser or Vodka Martini, yes, I'm a Martini pervert.

Kriss
03-02-2007, 08:12 AM
What's your favourite drink??? Love Stella, but only on draught. The cans are too gassy, and I get pissed too qwuick...

Stella is a conspiracy by the belgians but mostly the bloody french of course. It is the top selling lager in Britain by far. They plan to gradually weaken our genetic code with the rapid brain cell reduction only facilitated by downing pints of stella artois, that and the extra late night violence will bring our numbers down, a cunning plan to kill and maim most of our toughest squaddies before they even leave for battle.

Isn't it a bitter irony that homeless people's drink of choice is called 'tennants'?

"bitter" irony? geddit?

muhmuh
03-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Stella is a conspiracy by the belgians but mostly the bloody french of course. It is the top selling lager in Britain by far. They plan to gradually weaken our genetic code with the rapid brain cell reduction only facilitated by downing pints of stella artois, that and the extra late night violence will bring our numbers down, a cunning plan to kill and maim most of our toughest squaddies before they even leave for battle.

rubbish! a single brit could defeat the whole french and belgian (do they even have one?) army... on a bad day... while hes terribly pissed to the degree that he cant stand upright... and after breaking both his arms after drunkenly falling into a ditch on his way to the battlefield

on the rare occasions i do intend to get pissed (like one a year or less) its usually wodka... and that other time once a year when i dont intend to get pissed its either beer or something fun but complicated to drink like tequila

Realgirls4me
03-02-2007, 08:46 AM
I was just introduced to a shot called a "Leg Spreader"(Where do they come up with these names?). I forgot what the ingredients were that were in it, but IT WAS GOOD. :)

www.idrink.com

Jericho
03-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Mmmmm, Full of malty goodness! :D

Somedude21
03-02-2007, 09:26 AM
I prefer a good glass of vodka and cranberry juice now and then. Otherwise, I just go with a Jack and Coke.

wombat33
03-02-2007, 09:33 AM
What's your favourite drink??? Love Stella, but only on draught. The cans are too gassy, and I get pissed too qwuick...

Diet Coke. I do not consume alcohol

apocarm
03-02-2007, 09:42 AM
My fav shot is a Yukon Jack Straight, maybe with a little lime.

My fav drink though is a strong bourbon, with water or cola.

Turkey and Coke.

qeuqheeg222
03-02-2007, 09:54 AM
beer-sam adams,guiness,sierra nevada pale ale,and good rum on the rocks-rhum barbacourt from haiti is the nectar of the gods!!!!

03-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Gentleman Jack with a water back

Or

Felicia Katt
03-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't drink but this is my favorite beverage :)

FK

03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't drink but this is my favorite beverage :)

FK

The you'll be happy to know that you can buy a 24 pack of that fine beverage at Costco for only 27.99. 16 ounces regular or light.

LG
03-02-2007, 12:21 PM
I like to start off with a nice cocktail- maybe a dry martini or a cuba libre, maybe a margarita or a mojito- then have some wine with my meal. I enjoy following that with a digestif- maybe a layered pousse cafe or a dessert wine. A strong Belgian ale makes a pretty good after dinner drink also.

Favourite beers at the moment (in no order): Leffe Blonde or Brun, Duvel, Erdinger Witbier, Hooegaarden, Kriek bier.

Favourite wines: Chateauneuf du Pape, Merlot, Red or Rose Rioja, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, California Chardonnay

Favourite spirits: Russian or Polish vodka, Tequila, Rum (preferably Cuban white rum), cachaca, amaretto, Grand Marnier, Kahlua, Bailey's, absinthe

Favourite cocktails: Dry martini (with gin), Vodkatini, Margarita, Caipirinha, Mojito, Seabreeze, Sex on the beach, Cuba Libre, Gin and Tonic, Vodka Tonic, Screwdriver, Mai Tai

Favourite other drinks: chocolate milk, fresh lemonade, vanilla milkshake, Fanta, Pepsi with lime, Cranberry juice drink, iced water, frappucino, earl grey tea, herbal tisanes, iced tea

03-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I just like Budweiser. Yeah

LG
03-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Why is American beer like making love in a canoe?
Ready?
Because it's fucking close to water!

The only Budweiser worth drinking is the real thing from the Czech Republic (known as Czechvar in the US). The American company just stole the name.
http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/ftppub/beermats/budvar.jpg

So glad I disagree with TFan again, even if it is about something as minor as beer. I was beginning to get worried there :)

03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah I like Budweiser

Quinn
03-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't drink too frequently, but when I do I prefer Moet & Chandon White Star. It's a decent Champagne that goes with everything or nothing at all. It does its job well, without producing any hangovers.

-Quinn

Coroner
03-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Beer..... my favourite one is Gambrinus from the Czech republic...... other beers I enjoys are Kozel from the Czech republic, Zwiec from Poland, Sarajevsko pivo from Bosnia and Herzegovina and Carlsberg from Sweden.

And sometimes whiskey, Jameson or Johnny Walker Red Label :)

Jennifer_English
03-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Apparantly someone has been spreading vicious rumours that I started drinking at a very early age....

This is simply NOT true......!

:)

xx

MonsieurValentine
03-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Effen Black Cherry Vodka.

yaheem
03-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Whooo! alcohol, I like most all types of alcohol, although lite beer is preferred over most other beers. Jack straight is tops, but something light I would take Smirnoff.

iodine8
03-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Whiskey, beer, Vodka, everything......doesn't matter to me. I don't drink for the taste, I don't chug either. I usually Drink Jack and Coke( I like the taste of whiskey and cola mixed). I'll tell you the truth that most of the drinks taste like crap. Foo foo drinks taste great....but they will give you major headaches so I would have a couple..... maybe all, can't help it.
My prefered list.

Jack and Coke(with a shot of Jack to start it off)-lol wtf

Mikes Hard Lemonade

Coors Light (I know it's watered down, it's alot more refreshing. That way your mouth doesn't dry up and taste like malty hops and whatever is on your toungue breath(gross gross gross get the hell away from me now))

Sparks

Bud Light

always keep yourself well hydrated(not by drinking more alcohol).

Mista Bone
03-02-2007, 08:41 PM
beer is disgusting and i generally like the faggy drinks, anything pink or fruity works for me...currently i find malibu baybreeze to be the yummiest...nothing make me happier to walk around a club with a fruity drink and a lil umbrell in it..yeah ur tough chuggin down ur jack daniels and other nasty drinks...so impressive...so macho...mmm lemon drops too do it for me;)

Malibu Rum or Malibu Mango rum and pineapple juice is good. Raspberry Absolut and 7-up is good too.

Crown Royal and 7-up is my poison.

cedricvincent
03-02-2007, 09:55 PM
As a frenchman, it's my duty to introduce "Ricard" to the rest of the world.
It's from south of France and is made from anise.
If you're lucky, you can find it abroad in Europe, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to find some in america. :wink:

Perverted Monk
03-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Bombay Saphirre Gin & Tonic

LG
03-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Good choice CedricVincent, but you must know that they say Ricard, Pernod, Arak, Ouzo and the other anise based drinks or pastis drinks are imitiations (a pastiche, so to speak) of the real thing, absinthe.

Now that, my friend, is a real drink. It is illegal in the US I think and also, I understand, in France. 60-80% ABV, containing small doses of hallucinogens, two shots and yor head is buzzing, three and the room is spinning. On the fourth, you begin to see whirling dervishes dressed in green, on the fifth you sweat uncontrollably. By the sixth you want to spew your guts out and on the seventh shot you want to die. After the eigth, I am told, you pass out. I never went beyond five. Van Gogh cut his ear off after drinking it; I sure as hell don't want to.

Chica
03-02-2007, 10:39 PM
i like magners cider, baileys, loads of different cocktails and southern comfort, and most wines, but i dont drink often... cant remember my last real drink

LoadedRevolver66
03-02-2007, 11:04 PM
My choice is a good scotch straight up. Preferably Chivas Regal, but anything top shelf or single malt is fine. Sam Adams, Heineken, Guinness are my picks for beers. And absinthe, when I can get some (which is very rarely).

cedricvincent, that Ricard looks really good...if only I could get some :(

LG
03-02-2007, 11:09 PM
LoadedRevolver66,

There's a few websites selling absinthe. Or ask a friend to get it for you when he next goes to Britain, Spain or the Czech Republic. It is easy to get in those countries.

Devon
03-03-2007, 12:54 AM
I love Sailor Jerry (think Capt. Morgan but better) and Coke, with a splash of lime.

I also enjoy a good glass of pinot noir or syrah

mikejones
03-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Glenfiddich with ice is my favorite, with Rodney Strong cabernet a close second.

I really enjoy experimenting with different wine and food combinations. There is such a huge variety of wine out there, and most all are delicious at the right time.

muhmuh
03-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Van Gogh cut his ear off after drinking it; I sure as hell don't want to.

i dont think the stuff you get nowerdays can match the slice-of-lemon-wraped-around-a-large-brick-of-goldness of absinth back then

scorpion
03-03-2007, 02:03 AM
Finnich summer soup.
Koskenkorva (vodka) on a flowered plate

LG
03-03-2007, 02:14 AM
muhmuh,

Apparently a couple of brands (neither of which I have tried) have the original high wormwood content that the real stuff had.

http://www.bullz-eye.com/vices/absinthe.htm

muhmuh
03-03-2007, 02:41 AM
nice... gotta love the czech... good thing im not too far from the border

scorpion
03-03-2007, 02:52 AM

Becherovka? slivovitz?

muhmuh
03-03-2007, 02:56 AM

Becherovka? slivovitz?

never tried either of these

francisfkudrow
03-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Good choice CedricVincent, but you must know that they say Ricard, Pernod, Arak, Ouzo and the other anise based drinks or pastis drinks are imitiations (a pastiche, so to speak) of the real thing, absinthe.

Now that, my friend, is a real drink. It is illegal in the US I think and also, I understand, in France. 60-80% ABV, containing small doses of hallucinogens, two shots and yor head is buzzing, three and the room is spinning. On the fourth, you begin to see whirling dervishes dressed in green, on the fifth you sweat uncontrollably. By the sixth you want to spew your guts out and on the seventh shot you want to die. After the eigth, I am told, you pass out. I never went beyond five. Van Gogh cut his ear off after drinking it; I sure as hell don't want to.

Now, that's what I call a party!

stillies77
03-03-2007, 08:06 AM
http://www.lab1663.net/images/jager.jpg

olite71
03-03-2007, 08:19 AM
I like to start off with a nice cocktail- maybe a dry martini or a cuba libre, maybe a margarita or a mojito- then have some wine with my meal. I enjoy following that with a digestif- maybe a layered pousse cafe or a dessert wine. A strong Belgian ale makes a pretty good after dinner drink also.

Favourite beers at the moment (in no order): Leffe Blonde or Brun, Duvel, Erdinger Witbier, Hooegaarden, Kriek bier.

Favourite wines: Chateauneuf du Pape, Merlot, Red or Rose Rioja, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, California Chardonnay

Favourite spirits: Russian or Polish vodka, Tequila, Rum (preferably Cuban white rum), cachaca, amaretto, Grand Marnier, Kahlua, Bailey's, absinthe

Favourite cocktails: Dry martini (with gin), Vodkatini, Margarita, Caipirinha, Mojito, Seabreeze, Sex on the beach, Cuba Libre, Gin and Tonic, Vodka Tonic, Screwdriver, Mai Tai

Favourite other drinks: chocolate milk, fresh lemonade, vanilla milkshake, Fanta, Pepsi with lime, Cranberry juice drink, iced water, frappucino, earl grey tea, herbal tisanes, iced tea

You sound like a person who understands what drinking is all about... The beauty of the variety of alcohols is that you can match them with the moment.

I like a stiff cocktail to being the evening: In order of excellence they are as follows:

1. Manhattan (2oz Makers Mark, 1/2 oz sweet vermouth, 5 dashes bitters, shaken on ice and poured into frozen cocktail glass with cherry).

2. Sidecar (1.5oz Dry Brandy (such as Napoleon or Korbel XO) 3/4oz cointreau, 3/4 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice, shaken on rocks and poured into frozen cocktail glass).

3. Between the Sheets--a wonderful summer drink: (3/4 oz Bombay Sapphire, 3/4 oz Light Rum, 3/4 oz Cointreau, 3/4 oz fresh squeeze lemon juice, shaken on rocks and poured into frozen cocktail glass).

4. Martini: (2.5oz bombay sapphire, .5 oz dry vermouth, shaken on rocks and poured into frozen cocktail glass with three olives).

Then wine with dinner. I'm also partial to the Cotes du Rhone you mentioned..but love Spanish Wines too (tinto pesquera, valbuena, vina alberdi, marques de riscal etc. etc.).

After dinner a digestif is always nice....DiSaronno or a nice strega or grappa.... or just some really good bourbon (woodford reserve) or scotch (Aberlour, Glenlivet, Laphroig.....).

In the summer afternoons a really good gin tonic is nice. 2oz Bombay sapphire, 1oz lime juice, shaken on rocks and poured in highball glass with ice and then tonic to top with twist of lime....

My motto is that life is way too short---way TOO SHORT to drink cheap booze.

muhmuh
03-03-2007, 08:34 AM
http://www.lab1663.net/images/jager.jpg

i think im gonna be sick
although ive been told jägerbull is actually enjoyable but i wouldnt dare to try it

stillies77
03-03-2007, 08:35 AM
hell yes...jager bombs for president haha

dirtydubled
03-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Love Amstel Light, Gin & Tonic and Whiskey.... but theres nothing like....

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f184/dirtydubled/hmmm.jpg

cedricvincent
03-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Ricard is not like absinthe.
I have to explain the way it has to be prepared cause it's not realy "natural" for alcohol.
It's 45% of alcohol, but you serve 1 part of ricard (or pastis, it's almost the same thing) and had 5 parts of fresh water and ice. Yes, water mixed with alcohol!!!
It's really refreshing. If you want to get drunk ,you can just add 3 part of water but you loose the good taste of ricard.
In the picture I've posted, the 4 bottles on the left are pure ricard (45% of alchol) and the bottle on the right is "ready to drink" ricard (~5% of alcohol).
Absinthe is forbidden in France because it destroys the brain

03-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Let's make it simple.

Bud Light.

Remi
03-03-2007, 04:47 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/stenna_b/fin.jpg
Carlsberg Special Brew. Danish Lager brewed in Northampton England. 9% proof by volume. £1:00 per can
Its the favourite tipple of chronic alcoholics from London to Glasgow. Do not ask why I know this to be true.

LG
03-03-2007, 06:09 PM
You sound like a person who understands what drinking is all about... The beauty of the variety of alcohols is that you can match them with the moment.

I like a stiff cocktail to being the evening: In order of excellence they are as follows:

1. Manhattan (2oz Makers Mark, 1/2 oz sweet vermouth, 5 dashes bitters, shaken on ice and poured into frozen cocktail glass with cherry).

2. Sidecar (1.5oz Dry Brandy (such as Napoleon or Korbel XO) 3/4oz cointreau, 3/4 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice, shaken on rocks and poured into frozen cocktail glass).

3. Between the Sheets--a wonderful summer drink: (3/4 oz Bombay Sapphire, 3/4 oz Light Rum, 3/4 oz Cointreau, 3/4 oz fresh squeeze lemon juice, shaken on rocks and poured into frozen cocktail glass).

4. Martini: (2.5oz bombay sapphire, .5 oz dry vermouth, shaken on rocks and poured into frozen cocktail glass with three olives).

Then wine with dinner. I'm also partial to the Cotes du Rhone you mentioned..but love Spanish Wines too (tinto pesquera, valbuena, vina alberdi, marques de riscal etc. etc.).

After dinner a digestif is always nice....DiSaronno or a nice strega or grappa.... or just some really good bourbon (woodford reserve) or scotch (Aberlour, Glenlivet, Laphroig.....).

In the summer afternoons a really good gin tonic is nice. 2oz Bombay sapphire, 1oz lime juice, shaken on rocks and poured in highball glass with ice and then tonic to top with twist of lime....

My motto is that life is way too short---way TOO SHORT to drink cheap booze.

I agree with that last quote, although I prefer my dry martinis to be very, very dry (ice cold gin, only a splash of vermouth and stirred rather than shaken). I also like some of the sweeter, rum-based cocktails.

With dinner, I mix and match. Usually I go with wine, but some more spicy foods match very well with good quality lagers and I enjoy having ale with some heavier dishes which have meat and gravy. I also find that if the food is very acidic (such as a salad with vinaigrette) then it may not go to well with wine. In that case, I might even opt for mineral water.

LG
03-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Ricard is not like absinthe.
I have to explain the way it has to be prepared cause it's not realy "natural" for alcohol.
It's 45% of alcohol, but you serve 1 part of ricard (or pastis, it's almost the same thing) and had 5 parts of fresh water and ice. Yes, water mixed with alcohol!!!
It's really refreshing. If you want to get drunk ,you can just add 3 part of water but you loose the good taste of ricard.
In the picture I've posted, the 4 bottles on the left are pure ricard (45% of alchol) and the bottle on the right is "ready to drink" ricard (~5% of alcohol).
Absinthe is forbidden in France because it destroys the brain

I know how Ricard is prepared to be ready to drink. It is the same with Pernod, Arak and the other types of pastis, although Ricard admittedly has a different, more interesting flavour than most. I would say that the alcohol level falls to perhaps 8%, rather than 5%, but the truth is that you tend to drink more of it.

One method of drinking absinthe also involved adding water, although often this was trickled through sugar because absinthe is quite a bitter drink.

Absinthe has a stronger, more herbal taste with less star anise than Ricard. However, the roots of Pastis may lie in absinthe. Pernod began to produce pastis as a result of the controversy surrounding absinthe. 200 years ago Pernod first started out as a producer of absinthe and now they have come full circle, since they recently brought out a product that they claim is true to their roots, but which I think is not available in France.

So even though pastis is different to absinthe, it came about as a result of absinthe. According to wikipedia:

Pastis is an anise-flavored liqueur and apéritif from France, typically containing 40–45% alcohol by volume, although there exist alcohol-free varieties.

When absinthe was banned in France in 1915, the major absinthe producers (then Pernod and Ricard, who have since merged as Pernod Ricard) reformulated their drink without the banned wormwood component, a heavier focus on the aniseed flavor using more star anise, sugar and a lower alcohol content creating pastis, which remains popular in France today. Pastis has changed considerably since its first creation based on market preference.

Pastis is normally diluted with water before drinking (generally five volumes of water for one volume of pastis). The resulting decrease in alcohol percentage causes some of the constituents to become insoluble, which changes the liqueur's appearance from dark transparent yellow to milky soft yellow. The drink is consumed cold, with ice, and is considered a refreshment for hot days. Ice cubes can be added after the water to avoid crystallization of the anethol in the pastis. However, many pastis drinkers refuse to add ice, preferring to drink the beverage with cool spring water.

Although it is consumed throughout France, especially in the summer, pastis is generally associated with southeastern France, especially with the city of Marseille, and with the clichés of the Provençal lifestyle, like pétanque.

As for destroying the brain, I doubt most modern versions of the product do anything like this. Many contain just tiny amounts of wormwood. But there is still a fear of absinthe in France because a century ago it was the cause of a major social problem.

sucka4chix
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM

Except for the bogus cuba libre!

CORVETTEDUDE
03-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Let's make it simple.

Bud Light.

I'm with "TFan", no brain damage here. "BUD LIGHT" :rock2

LG
03-04-2007, 06:02 PM
sucka4chix wrote:

Bogus? Why bogus? A Cuba Libre is basically a rum and coke with lime. I like to use Havana Club (not available in the US) and 1/4 Brazilian lime, which I squeeze onto the rim of a highball glass and in the drink itself. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba_Libre

LG
03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Now these are beers worth drinking:

http://www.spirits1888.com/shop/Duvel%20with%20Glass%20Big.jpg
http://www.sommelier.dn.ua/beer/images/leffe.gif
http://www.beartownbrewery.co.uk/art/specilist%20beers%20art/ERDINGER.jpg

ILuvGurls
03-05-2007, 12:52 AM
just recieved this email....

At a world brewing convention in the States, the CEOs of various brewing organizations retired to the bar at the end of each day's conference.

Bruce, CEO of Fosters, shouted to the Barman: "In 'Strylya, we make the best bladdy beer in the world, so pour me a bladdy Fosters, mate."

Bob, CEO of Budweiser, calls out next: "In the States, we brew the finest beers of the world, and I make the king of them all, gimme a Bud."

Hans steps up next: "In Germany ve invented das beer, ferdamt. Give me ein Becks, ya ist der real King of beers, danke."

Paddy, CEO of Guinness, steps forward: "Barman, would ya give me a diet coke with ice and lemon? Tanks."

The others stare at him in stunned silence, amazement written all over their faces.

Eventually Bruce asks: "Are you not going to have a Guinness, Pat?"

Paddy replies "Well, if you fookin' pansies aren't drinkin', then neither am I!

muhmuh
03-05-2007, 01:04 AM
Hans steps up next: "In Germany ve invented das beer, ferdamt. Give me ein Becks, ya ist der real King of beers, danke."

of all the beers you could have chosen...

newspimp
03-05-2007, 02:20 AM
Newcastle, Fuller's ESB on draft but it's hard to find here. Shiner Bock, Heinken are easily available at my favorite gentlemens club. Crown and Topo Chico and nothing beats a good Cabernet with a ribeye or new york strip! :D

03-05-2007, 04:34 AM
Let's make it simple.

Bud Light.

I'm with "TFan", no brain damage here. "BUD LIGHT" :rock2

You are wise, good sir. It seems that we are in the minority. Welcome to the good club!

sucka4chix
03-06-2007, 08:45 AM
sucka4chix wrote:

Bogus? Why bogus? A Cuba Libre is basically a rum and coke with lime. I like to use Havana Club (not available in the US) and 1/4 Brazilian lime, which I squeeze onto the rim of a highball glass and in the drink itself. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba_Libre

Because that's exactly what it is a rum and coke that someone prefers to call something else, to seem more knowledgeable or upscale.

danthepoetman
09-12-2012, 06:22 AM
I’m resurrecting this ancient thread because I was frustrated recently with the “Favourite beer” thread: I wasn’t able, since we were indeed talking about beer, to mention my favourite beverage, Scotch whisky. Now, believe me, if you don’t know scotch, there’s no such beverage anywhere in the world. Here’s something no one, not the Japanese and not the Chinese can possibly imitate. It’s unique. It’s what the Gods drink.
Before going further, I want to make an important distinction which is unknown to many. Most of what you find on the shelves of the stores are blended whiskies. If you want to find something with a specific character, like good wine, something which has the taste of a “terroir”, a particular place and culture, you have to go with a “Single Malt”. All of that is written on the label.
Here are a few of my favourites:

zdubya69
09-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Gin and Tonic. No Gin and juice goddammit!

zdubya69
09-12-2012, 07:32 AM
I like a good Bourbon.

lovesall
09-12-2012, 07:52 AM
A good glass of 12 year Jameson is my poison.

danthepoetman
09-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I enjoy a glass of Jameson too, from time to time. Or Canadian rye, namely the Crown Royal. But my preference goes by far to scotch. These people seem to me to have developed a craft that’s perfectly fitting the climatic and geographic conditions in which they live. It’s like for wine: scotch whisky taste like Scotland. And different regions tend to bring different tastes to the whisky. There’s something more “standard” about irish whiskey, to my taste. And most whiskies produced in Ireland are blends.
And I would pretty much say the same thing for Bourbon, zdubya. Very good! I enjoy a good glass of bourbon too, from time to time.

Dino Velvet
09-12-2012, 07:38 PM
I stick with Jack Daniels and Jameson for Whiskey trying not to develop a taste for the expensive stuff. When I drink, moderation is not in my vocabulary and I can run up gargantuan bar tabs and expensive BevMo runs.

danthepoetman
09-12-2012, 10:20 PM
You are absolutely right, Dino: if you can take some and you go out, you have to be a millionaire to drink what I suggested. This is stuff you buy a bottle of and quietly drink at home. In bars, these cost a fortune.

Wendy Summers
09-12-2012, 10:27 PM
You are absolutely right, Dino: if you can take some and you go out, you have to be a millionaire to drink what I suggested. This is stuff you buy a bottle of and quietly drink at home. In bars, these cost a fortune.

The sign of a true lush! :dancing:

Dino Velvet
09-12-2012, 10:27 PM

I drink like Cowboy Shitkicker White Trash and that's the only way I roll.

Hank Williams III - Whiskey, Weed, & Women - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VoU5kmqasY)

wubwub
09-12-2012, 11:23 PM
those are the most beautiful goddamnedest bottles I've ever seen pictures of - like well-made guitars

danthepoetman
09-12-2012, 11:35 PM
I drink like Cowboy Shitkicker White Trash and that's the only way I roll.

Hank Williams III - Whiskey, Weed, & Women - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VoU5kmqasY)
Yeah, so do I, which is another reason, at my age, to stay home, if you know what I mean… :)

those are the most beautiful goddamnedest bottles I've ever seen pictures of - like well-made guitars
Yep, Wubwub, and you should taste the content!
But I warn you, most of this stuff is for men. All the Cask Strengths are at close to 60% alcohol level; almost as hard as rubbing alcohol, but oh! so good! sooooo good!

Dino Velvet
09-12-2012, 11:36 PM
I hear 'ya. I had a few wrecks myself. Several.

danthepoetman
09-12-2012, 11:42 PM
The sign of a true lush! :dancing:
Yes, Wendy, I hold by own in the department of lush. But you know what, Scotch whisky has definitely helped me concentrated on the taste, and therefore made more of a moderate of me as a consumer (unless it was age, but I don't want to envision this one). Which I guess gives even more relevance to your comment... :) :dancing:

mistab
09-13-2012, 01:46 AM
For me...Tarantula Tequila...straight up!

robertlouis
09-13-2012, 04:47 AM
You are clearly quite the connoisseur, Dan. I know that I have at least one bottle of each of the malts in your collage in my very large collection. Like you, I'm drawn to the islands, with a strong preference for the dark, pungent, peaty smoke that characterises an old Islay malt.

I can bore to an inter-galactic level on single malts, so just let me share one lovely anecdote from my youth. When I was growing up, one of my late father's closest friends was our parish minister (Scots presbyterian). He and dad often shared a dram and an hour or two's craic together, and, indeed, they inculcated me into the lore, mystery and pure joy of good scotch; respect it and it will respect you back. A little and often and in moderation - it should be sipped, savoured and revered, also best drunk in a ratio of 5 to 1 with water - not mixed, but just to ensure that you don't dehydrate; a whisky hangover is to be feared and avoided.

Anyway, as Burns would have said, to our tale. I remember Robin Jack, the minister, holding up a glass of Macallan to the light, savouring the gentle fruit and fire, and turning to me he said, " There, laddie, a good scotch should go down your throat singing hymns. And this beauty is the Hallelujah Chorus."

Slainthe!

PS. Aside from a few drops of quality cold water, the only thing to be added to a single malt is more single malt. Anyone who adds ice destroys the flavour and the complexity and is quite simply wasting their money and their enjoyment. And anyone who persists will also be the subject of a Caledonian Fatwa issued personally by me.

runningdownthatdream
09-13-2012, 05:12 AM
I rarely drink anything without vodka.................Grey Goose, Belvedere, Chopin, Russian Standard, Youri Dolgoruki all chilled and 2:1 or 3:1 ration of vodka to water for the Belvedere and Chopin. If I`m mixing then Smirnoff Triple Distilled or Luksasowa with Ginger Ale or something light.

I need a drink.

robertlouis
09-13-2012, 05:32 AM
A few of my favourite malts.

Prospero
09-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Laphroaig gets my vote. My single favourite whisky though I confess I've not sampled those others but I will. Oh I enjoy a good aged Talisker too.

What about Irish Whiskey? Crested Ten is good I recall

Boomerang Man
09-13-2012, 12:01 PM
A good burgundy Corton-Charlemagne with cheese & crackers is one of life's pleasures. :)

Dino Velvet
09-13-2012, 07:51 PM
This is about as fancy as I get for Scotch.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0NhYEqw2Ahw/Rt9jZra8SQI/AAAAAAAAAjM/uUBS6uTkXMs/s400/99bottles.jpg

Prospero
09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Try the more upmarket stuff. Tastes real good Dino.

Dino Velvet
09-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Try the more upmarket stuff. Tastes real good Dino.

With those bottles still fit in the cupholder of my Chevy Truck?

http://image.truckinweb.com/f/EarthQuakeAV/6650806+w450+h338+cr0+re1+ar1/2002-chevrolet-avalanche-1.jpg

Prospero
09-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Just fill up a cup.... and don't add ice!

Not that I'm advocating drinking and diving....

Dino Velvet
09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Just fill up a cup.... and don't add ice!

I'll just guzzle it first so I don't spill it backing outta the driveway.

Prospero
09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Is that really your truck. Nice vehicle.

Dino Velvet
09-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Is that really your truck. Nice vehicle.

No. It's not. Truck envy.

danthepoetman
09-13-2012, 10:20 PM
What about Irish Whiskey? Crested Ten is good I recall

Most Irish wiskies are blended, most contains some grain alcohol. Besides, they are not peated at all. Several are distilled thrice. Which makes for very delicate alcohols, but in my opinion, Prospero, without the character and particularities of Scotch whiskies. I think there isn’t too many distilleries anymore in Ireland, only 4 or 5 huge factories that produces several whiskies each, if I’m not wrong. In Scotland, there is more than 100 smaller distilleries that each procuces a different, particular whisky that’s worth discovering. I’ve had single malt Scotch whiskies that were not great, of course, but every single product of a distillery in Scotland is worth tasting, in my opinion. It’s the great Scottish artisanship, like wine is to the French. It's well worth discovering.

Dino Velvet
09-13-2012, 10:25 PM
You guys are gonna talk me into spending some money.

http://www.weeklyvolcano.com/entertainment/spew-blog/2012/05/BevMO-to-open-July-14-in-Tacoma/uploads/blogs/31386-banner-bevmo.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/171/369690117_4a1135c960.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/5464135238_9d7240098a.jpg

http://www.lasnark.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/bevmo.jpg

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site205/2012/0831/20120831_052159_8-31-12%20BEVMO04webonly.jpg

danthepoetman
09-13-2012, 10:53 PM
This place looks like Paradise, Dino!

Dino Velvet
09-14-2012, 12:05 AM
This place looks like Paradise, Dino!

BevMo is a proper liquor store. Cigars and Caviar too. I just go for the Bourbon and Beer.

rockabilly
09-14-2012, 03:04 AM
Tuesday night I hit a bar with a friend and downed half a bottle of Red Stag , did 4 liquid cocaines , 2 tequila shots , 3 bottles of beer , 4 Yeager Bombs , 4 apple pie moonshine shots and played pool.

My how I've changed , made up for lost time.

Dino Velvet
09-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Tuesday night I hit a bar with a friend and downed half a bottle of Red Stag , did 4 liquid cocaines , 2 tequila shots , 3 bottles of beer , 4 Yeager Bombs , 4 apple pie moonshine shots and played pool.

My how I've changed , made up for lost time.

You use the Braille Driving Method of bouncing off the curbs all the way home from the bar? I've had to get a few wheel alignments in my day. One time the curb wasn't tall enough but a fella's desk was.

rockabilly
09-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Apparently I can handle booze , just went home and slept then took the Mrs. to hospital at 6am.

rockabilly
09-14-2012, 01:13 PM
No hangover period.

Jericho
09-14-2012, 01:42 PM
If you can remember what you drank...You didn't drink enough! :shrug

danthepoetman
05-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Started with this
http://scotchhobbyist.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/p1000411.jpg
Kept going with this
http://www.warejacob.com/afbeeldingen/Gedistilleerd/laphroaig-quarter-cask-2.jpg
and I intend to sleep with this one, tonight
http://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/macallan-18-year-sherry-oak.jpg

danthepoetman
06-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Started with this whisky which has a strange but wonderful mustard taste; dijon mustard, malt, carvi, cumin, very lovely on the finish on the back of the tongue. Pretty long, and a tiny bit astringent. Very special drink.
http://www.spirituosensuperbillig.com/shop/images/product_images/original_images/clynelish_14_jahre.jpg

Then I went for this whisky which is in many places the best price-quality relation. I find this one to have much of the typicity of Scotch whiskies. A lot of malt, quite a bit of oak (but well mixed and harmonious), a lot of heather honey and a good smoke puff with its iodine perfume. Love it! The 18 yrs old is divine. Higher quality Scotch, for anyone who wants to try! This one is really out of the bunch!
http://www.whisky.fr/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/8/m8508.jpg

Then I'm ending it all (hopefully) with a fruitier, 21 years old whisky, the Balblair. Much lighter. Very full of flowers and spring perfumes. Slightly herbal, strongly fruity! Very light, but the alcohol is strangely balancing the whole thing. I like it. Not as nice as the previous ones, but still very yummy!
http://img1.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/821/media/images/Balblair_Single_Malt_Scotch_1.jpg

Amy Gray
06-06-2013, 04:43 AM
I guess I'm weird, I can honestly say I've never had a drink in my life. I haven't even had a light beer or hard lemonade, I just don't drink. Hell, I don't even drink coffee or soda, I'm a tea person.

danthepoetman
06-06-2013, 05:58 AM
I guess I'm weird, I can honestly say I've never had a drink in my life. I haven't even had a light beer or hard lemonade, I just don't drink. Hell, I don't even drink coffee or soda, I'm a tea person.
But lovely Amy, you're so petite and delicate, sweetheart. I'm sure alcohol has a huge effect on you. I would server you tiny liquor cup of whisky, to give you a taste. That's what I do to my GF, who's pretty much your size. And yet, she gets drunk.
Frankly, I find that so lovely and feminine!
There is nothing weird about that: it's just adorable...

danthepoetman
06-06-2013, 06:02 AM
Btw, I'm still on the Balblair, things are nice and smoot. It's a fruity drink which could replace breakfast. Dry pizza has been waiting for me for a couple hours, but usually, after 2 or 3 malts, it's gone, the taste of the malt is so good and complex I can't eat anymore...
Amy... let me reitarate that you are adorable!

Gillian
06-06-2013, 06:45 AM
This. That is all ...

http://www.tanners-wines.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/l/wl008c.jpg

Amy Gray
06-06-2013, 06:49 AM
But lovely Amy, you're so petite and delicate, sweetheart. I'm sure alcohol has a huge effect on you. I would server you tiny liquor cup of whisky, to give you a taste. That's what I do to my GF, who's pretty much your size. And yet, she gets drunk.
Frankly, I find that so lovely and feminine!
There is nothing weird about that: it's just adorable...

Fans self My you all lay it on thick as honey here! I even think my ears are blushing. Thank you sweetie, that put a smile on my face.

I have no doubt that I could probably get tanked off a thimble full but I'll be the first to admit that I don't need booze to act like an idiot. I do just fine on my own.

danthepoetman
06-06-2013, 06:58 AM
This. That is all ...
What is this, Shelf? At 39% alcohol, it's obviously not beer! then what? Give us more details, friend!

Fans self My you all lay it on thick as honey here! I even think my ears are blushing. Thank you sweetie, that put a smile on my face.
I have no doubt that I could probably get tanked off a thimble full but I'll be the first to admit that I don't need booze to act like an idiot. I do just fine on my own.
Am I acting like an idiot? I'm sorry if I am, lovely Amy! You're just arriving on HA and you have to bear a guy like me! I appologize, sweetie! It's true that I can be a bit heavy sometimes... I'm sorry!

Amy Gray
06-06-2013, 07:25 AM
What is this, Shelf? At 39% alcohol, it's obviously not beer! then what? Give us more details, friend!

Am I acting like an idiot? I'm sorry if I am, lovely Amy! You're just arriving on HA and you have to bear a guy like me! I appologize, sweetie! It's true that I can be a bit heavy sometimes... I'm sorry!

Oh no, trust me, you're fine. I was doing some pretty heavy math and I needed something to smile over.

danthepoetman
06-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks for science, lovely Amy! and thanks for biology, considering how poetic yours is...

I am now drinking Aberfeldy 14 yrs old, 50% alcohol. from the Old Malt Cask series. Very fruity, quite dry, with accents of cinamon and huge apples on the finish.
http://www.whiskymarketplace.jp/image/2/180/270/2/images/shops/www.masterofmalt.com/aberfeldy-14-year-old-old-malt-cask-whisky.jpg

Stavros
06-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Like your taste in Malts, Dan. I have this 14-yr old Oban which has depth without being overpowering. It doesn't have the character of an old Lagavulin or Caol Ila, but it goes down well after a meal in the evening.

http://www.oban.org.uk/images/listing_images/obandistillery2.jpg/bmi_orig_img/obandistillery2.jpg

luvs2lick1385
06-06-2013, 05:03 PM
i like me some rolling rock when it comes to beer. i have to say that patron is the liquor to drink. i could live off of that stuff.

Patron is paint thinner as far as tequila goes. Maybe I'd use it to make margaritas. As for a fine sipping tequila, try a measure of Don Julio reposada. You'd never drink Patron again

stan.smith
06-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Whiskey all the way!!

Gillian
06-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Like it says on the bottle (;)), it's Kummel. My golf club accounts for 30% of all UK consumption ... :D

danthepoetman
06-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Finished a few days ago a bottle of this, Bowmore darkest, my favourite whisky I've tasted from the distillerie. Very deep, very winey, with strong sea flavours and smoke! Very nice! To my knowledge, they don't produce it anymore and I find that unfortunate.
http://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/whiskyshop/images/uploads/Bowmore/july10-bowmore-darkest-1.jpg

danthepoetman
06-14-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm having a nice, quiet glass of this as I'm baking myself late pizza, Longmorn 16 years old, very winey, very fruity, heather honey, caramel candies and a tiny touch of lime in the back. Not as long as you would hope, considering the name, imo. They kept it at 48% alcohol, which is quite nice on the contrary. Oranges on the back of the tongue for a minute after swallowing.
http://www.livraison-boissons.fr/WebRoot/StoreLFR/Shops/62042515/4830/73D9/ED15/D791/E1FA/7F00/0001/8F93/LONGMORN_0020_16_0020_ANS.jpg

bluesoul
06-14-2013, 08:47 AM
i'm partaking as well. i got a good brew doing justice to the brain right now and julianne moore (in boogie nights) on television. when it's over, i might put on some nina hartley, but who knows. if things degenerate faster i won't care. i never do.

right now- i'm in the zone

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm8eodKuug1qhdmyr.jpg

danthepoetman
06-14-2013, 08:51 AM
What is it, Bluesoul? What is the beer? Anything special?

I loved Boogie Nights, btw...

bluesoul
06-14-2013, 08:56 AM
What is it, Bluesoul? What is the beer? Anything special?

I loved Boogie Nights, btw...

a hefeweizen pyramid mr poetman. i wouldn't call it special but it does what is required of it.

i love boogie nights as well. it has overwhelming exciting music and a great pace.

thanks for asking

bat1
06-14-2013, 09:33 AM
pot smoker here...booze does nothing for me but make me fat

robertlouis
06-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Draught or bottled English bitter, German or Czech pilsner, red wine, Armagnac and single malt. That covers it.

Though not in the same glass, obviously.

danthepoetman
06-14-2013, 10:02 AM
pot smoker here...booze does nothing for me but make me fat
I was a good consumer a long time ago. Well, expecially hash, as pot was not as potent back then. But around 35, maybe, it started to really freak me out. So much so that it stopped being fun alltoghether, Bat (you know, I suspect I did too much acid; it just ruined being stone for me). But I have fabulous memories of the old pot of the 60's, 70's, how good and social it was. I loved it! So I know where you're comming from.

Draught or bottled English bitter, German or Czech pilsner, red wine, Armagnac and single malt. That covers it.
Though not in the same glass, obviously.
Yes, carefulness in mixing!! The worst to me, is sugar after booze. I'm never, ever sick drinking. That's a particularity of my metabolism, I guess. :) But if I have sugar after, I get so bloated I could float in the ocean...

robertlouis
06-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Yes, carefulness in mixing!! The worst to me, is sugar after booze. I'm never, ever sick drinking. That's a particularity of my metabolism, I guess. :) But if I have sugar after, I get so bloated I could float in the ocean...

Never mix grape and grain, so whisky after beer, Armagnac after wine.

Prospero
06-14-2013, 11:43 AM
No wee heavy and a half pint for you then?

robertlouis
06-14-2013, 11:48 AM
No wee heavy and a half pint for you then?

For the uninitiated - and I strongly advise you to stay that way - a "wee heavy" is an incredibly strong Scottish form of barley wine.

When I was at uni, the self-destructive libation of choice was called a Cobalt Bomb, which comprised a Fowler's Wee Heavy, a Carlsberg Special, then topped to a pint with sweet cider.

The record was four, but it was rumoured to be posthumous.

Prospero
06-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Help... as a Sassenach (and proud of it - though Ediburgh is my second favourite british city) I always thought a wee heavy was whisky.

robertlouis
06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Help... as a Sassenach (and proud of it - though Ediburgh is my second favourite british city) I always thought a wee heavy was whisky.

No, a hauf an' hauf is the afternoon choice of many a pubman; it's a half of heavy or export and a single measure of scotch, which in Scotland is traditionally a quarter gill, unlike the damp glass you get in most English pubs.

Fortunately, the chap who owns my local is a fellow malt drinker, so we tend to sit with a bottle and ignore any notion of measuring the stuff out!

And Embra is your second favourite city, is it?? I hope for your sake that the favourite is Glasgow. Jimmy.

Prospero
06-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Now Glasgow is number 4,300...just after Little Pidley in the fen...lol Actually I hardly know the place well enough to make an informed judgement, old buddy

dderek123
06-14-2013, 12:35 PM
My current brew of choice. It's great to be back home.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShyMtvIECu2IQRsYOUQIPS9lBsAhQPt D8Prm_IQt2GARlCzf21-Q

Prospero
06-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Bill Barclay - 12 Days of Christmas - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2dCMDNqE5Y)

robertlouis
06-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Now Glasgow is number 4,300...just after Little Pidley in the fen...lol Actually I hardly know the place well enough to make an informed judgement, old buddy

Hardly surprising for you to hear that my favourite English city is York - and to maintain context, it has three pubs inside the old walls that brew their own beer - closely followed by York, Bristol, Brighton, Liverpool and Newcastle.

And maybe a visit to Glesca would be a good idea. I could show you the sights, then after that ten minutes is over we could go for a hauf 'n hauf lol.

Which reminds me, I wonder how Sindey is getting on up there?

Stavros
06-14-2013, 02:13 PM
There is a popular saying:
Beer before whisky always risky. Whisky before beer, never fear.

I was once in the company of four Belgians (very long story) and after a day and a night of the most insane drinking I have ever witnessed, went down the next morning to the bar of the hotel in Lille where we were staying to see them there with: an express, a shot of pastis, a cognac, and a glass of beer -and this was before we were setting off for a drive to Paris.
No idea how we survived. I can drink, and probably more now than when young without the same effects, but for me, a good meal with a fine wine can only be rounded off with either a malt or cognac. So my version is:

Wine and whisky makes you fine; whisky with beer makes you queer.

robertlouis
06-14-2013, 02:17 PM

I was once in the company of four Belgians (very long story) and after a day and a night of the most insane drinking I have ever witnessed, went down the next morning to the bar of the hotel in Lille where we were staying to see them there with: an express, a shot of pastis, a cognac, and a glass of beer -and this was before we were setting off for a drive to Paris.
No idea how we survived. I can drink, and probably more now than when young without the same effects, but for me, a good meal with a fine wine can only be rounded off with either a malt or cognac. So my version is:

Thereby adding credence to the long-held view in certain distillery dominated parts of Scotland that whisky is what men drink, and that beer is an effete southern affectation mostly favoured by homosexuals.

Prospero
06-14-2013, 02:19 PM
On a more sober note, I've always been somewhat restrained in my consumption of alcohol I admit.... for I saw, in my early career as a print journalist, too many badly damaged men and women. One who was kept on by a kindly editor would be in a cold sweat within a few minutes of arriving at work and boasted of how the Czarina of Russia had spent the evening with him and other such DT fantasies. He was sent to rehab at the paper's expensive but died shortly afterwards.

robertlouis
06-14-2013, 02:36 PM

The most prodigious drinkers in my experience are the Finns, possibly because alcohol is so expensive in their homeland that they tend to go mad in any place where it's cheaper.

All I will say from personal observation is that if your only option is to fly with Finnair, swim the Gulf of Bothnia instead..... :hide-1:

danthepoetman
06-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Having Dalmore 12 yrs. Nice! Lots of brown sugar, a bit sweet, some spices and a bit of fruit. Smooth. Not very long.
http://csimg.webmarchand.com/srv/FR/29051830dalmo12/T/340x340/C/FFFFFF/url/whisky-dalmore-12-ans-100cl.jpg

danthepoetman
06-27-2013, 06:09 AM
I had to finish a couple bottle, lately, before they became insipid, as they were in my bar a good while.
First a Glenkinchie 1992, double matured. Usually, I'm not that hot about the Glenkinchie, which makes for a very light, simple dram. But this one was different. To the characteristic apple tones came some ginger, some spices and impressive nuttyness. Quite long on the finish. Very nice! I shed a tear when it was over.
http://www.scotch-tasting-bums.com/Our_Tastings/Entries/2009/11/5_Sixteenth_Tasting_-_Littlemill,_Auchentoshan,_Glenkinchie_files/glenkinchie19922.jpg

Then, two bottles of grassy whiskies. First, a Glenlossie 16 years, embotled by Douglas and Laing in the Old Malt Casks series, 50% alcohol. As light in colour as white wine. Very fresh, flowery, with tones of exotic wood, cedar or sandalwood, hugely herbal, minty with a wonderful perfume of anise on the finish! Quite dry but leaving a delightful sensation in the mouth. I enjoyed this one a lot as an aperitive.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5mVcszystFI/TTaxCzuUK9I/AAAAAAAAA0s/KJJw7bmCa6I/s1600/SP-Glenlossie-16-OMC.JPG

Also finished a much humbler but still very nice, minty Benromach traditional. Very herbal.
http://www.lfw.co.uk/acatalog/BenromachTrad-LARGE.jpg

danthepoetman
06-28-2013, 06:38 AM
Also finished two bottles of my beloved Macalan, a 12 years old and an 18 years... :cry
Heather honey, walnuts, bee's wax, lots of sherry, lots of body, very round and full. An everlasting finish which comes back to get you even days after you've had your last glass. And the 18's flavors are much, much more binded and harmonious. A supreme delight!
If I had to exile myself on a desert island, I'd take 1000 bottles of Macalan and a 1000 more of Lagavulin 16, and I'd be happy forever...

danthepoetman
06-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Stavros
06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Surprised that you rave over a 12 year old Macallan, I like it but it doesn't have the depth of character of older malts. I have an unopened Lagavulin 16-yr old, and these days try to make a bottle last as long as possible.
Dan, do you ever nibble anything with a malt, or smoke a cigar -or is it heresy to mix up the tastes? I also like to drink malt when watching a film.

danthepoetman
06-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Surprised that you rave over a 12 year old Macallan, I like it but it doesn't have the depth of character of older malts. I have an unopened Lagavulin 16-yr old, and these days try to make a bottle last as long as possible.
Dan, do you ever nibble anything with a malt, or smoke a cigar -or is it heresy to mix up the tastes? I also like to drink malt when watching a film.
Rarely, as indeed, I just don't want to spoil the taste! :) But it happens. Sea food with the peated Islay Whiskies (almost a tautology) is divine. I cook a lot with Scotch (which is another sacrilege) and sometimes, I drink the same whisky I put in the food -sea food pasta sauce with Lagavulin or Laphraoig, such a delight! I find the taste of cigar too strong for the delicate taste of malt, despite Dalmore's effort to provide with a cigar malt. But the strangest thing I have with whisky sometimes is with the same whisky: I found a a chili piment chocolate by Lindt; with the spices of the Dalmore, it makes the most unusual but delightful tasting experience! I never did, but I suppose it would be interresting to try some with some fine cheese.
As far as I'm concerned, I have to be careful: I know that after the 3rd glass, it's over, I don't even want to eat anymore, even when I drank some whisky as an aperitive. I'm too caught up with the taste and I refuse to spoil it with whatever meal presented to me -even in fact, when I'm the one who's cooking... :)
As to the Macalan, it's the only whisky completely matured in sherry casks from the begining to the embottling. To me, it makes a wonderful difference. Of course you're right, the 12 is a little young. But it's more affordable on a regular basis. The 18 years old is just paradise, as far as I'm concerned.

Stavros
06-28-2013, 10:25 PM
I drink the same whisky I put in the food -sea food pasta sauce with Lagavulin or Laphraoig, such a delight!

You cannot be serious, man...I am not even going to try that.

danthepoetman
06-28-2013, 11:10 PM
I drink the same whisky I put in the food -sea food pasta sauce with Lagavulin or Laphraoig, such a delight!

You cannot be serious, man...I am not even going to try that.
You should give it at least one shot, Stavros! Consult "Whisky Magazine", if you want: French lady and editor Martine Nouet gives fabulous recipes to make with and to eat while drinking whisky! My friend, when taste and the senses are involved, you have to be open to new things! Whisky shouldn't be relegated to clubs with old guys like us drinking while bickering... :) Scotch has so much character you can diversify the use and the consumption circumstances.