PDA

View Full Version : Bad Week For Hollywood: RIP Peter Boyle and Joe Barbera

BeardedOne
12-19-2006, 04:07 AM
First went Peter Boyle, best known for his roles as the Monster in Young Frankenstein and as the grumpy dad in Everybody Loves Raymond. Then went Joe Barbera, of the Hanna-Barbera team that brought us Tom and Jerry, Flintstones, Jetsons, and Yogi Bear.

We're losing a lot of entertainment legends. :(

Realgirls4me
12-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Don't forget this guy also,whose death was made known yesterday. His creation appealed more to adults than the kids it was intended for. It still is my all time favorite cartoon series.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061218/ap_en_tv/obit_hayward_3

My favorite show -- along with any "Fractured Fairy Tale" -- was one where Boris Badonov reached into the camera and tore the script up from the narrator of the show, the late William Conrad (TV detective Frank Cannon). After a commercial break, Boris is frantically seen sitting on a rock trying to piece together the script he tore to pieces so the show could continue. This was an animated series like never seen before. Great GREAT stuff. Satire, wit, and parody galore. Those guys were geniuses. :)

peggygee
12-19-2006, 07:14 AM
I first became a fan of Peter Boyle as the star of 'Crazy Joe'. The true story of the rise and fall of a Mafia gangster, based on the life of murdered New York gangster "Crazy" Joey Gallo.

"Crazy" Joey Gallo (April 7, 1929 – April 7, 1972) was a New York gangster who was a gunman and racketeer as a member of the Profaci crime family (later known as the Colombo crime family). He was also a friend of the late actor Jerry Orbach

The Gallo brothers did some work for Carlo Gambino (whose family would later bear his name), and are credited by most sources to be the assassins of Murder, Inc. leader and gangster Albert Anastasia in 1957.

Gallo was one of the first mafiosi to predict a shift of power in the New York streets from the Italian mafia to black gangs, and he started becoming friends with members of the black gangs.

Gallo was allied with Carlo Gambino against Colombo. Joe Colombo was shot in June 1971 by a black gunman named Jerome Johnson. Johnson, who was immediately shot dead by Colombo's bodyguards, was believed to be an associate of Gallo and therefore Gallo was widely suspected by both the police and other mobsters as being the one behind Colombo's shooting.

Tagline: No killer of the streets ever gave it or got it like Crazy Joe!

HornieHubbieinCT
12-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Actually, it's been a cold, cold month...not just this week. Consider this:

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid40300.asp

Probably a little more on topic for this crowd. Van Smith, along with Pat Moran and Vincent Peranio, was one third of John Water's semi permanent crew. I think all three of them started with him making "art house" films like Multiple Manics and Eat Your Own Makeup. Van was totally responsible for Divine's makeup design, which he should be either piloried or gloried for, depending how you feel.

HH

Coroner
12-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Iīm a all-time fan of Tom & Jerry and this is a really sad thing. There will never be such cartoons again. Joseph Barbera and William Hanna are the greatest cartoon duo ever. Man, when you watch Tom & Jerry you mostly donīt recognize the real messages hiding in every scene. It was the first political incorrect cartoon. Their later works The Flintstones or The Jetsons are not funny and genius like Tom & Jerry but it didnīt have to, because Barbera and Hanna established their cult status much before.

R. I. P

Peter Boyle is more unknown to me since Iīve seen him only in Taxi Driver and that serie Everybody loves Raymond. Rest in peace, amigo.

Does anybody remember the Tom & Jerry episode where Tom and Jerry became friends and live in a beautiful house while thereīs a homeless cat outside searching for food in garbage cans? The special about it is that the play the melody "Somewhere over the Rainbow" from the film The Wizard of Oz when they show the homelass cat. :lol: that is really cynical and real. Thereīs so much to understand....

Caleigh
12-19-2006, 05:17 PM
My favourite role of Peter Boyle's was on the show X-Files where he played an insurance salesman who could fortell peoples deaths. It was an amazingly touching episode.

BeardedOne
12-19-2006, 10:06 PM
My favourite role of Peter Boyle's was on the show X-Files where he played an insurance salesman who could fortell peoples deaths. It was an amazingly touching episode.

That was an excellent role for him, as he was able to deliver the dark humor with such a deadpan expression.

Mulder: "Can you tell me how I'm going to die?"

Boyle: "Yes, but I won't".........."But I can think of a lot better ways to go than by autoerotic asphyxiation!"

Priceless. :lol:

BigJoe
12-19-2006, 11:00 PM

That was an excellent role for him, as he was able to deliver the dark humor with such a deadpan expression.

Mulder: "Can you tell me how I'm going to die?"

Boyle: "Yes, but I won't".........."But I can think of a lot better ways to go than by autoerotic asphyxiation!"

Priceless. :lol:

I've got to agree with both Caleigh and Bearded, you nailed it, I was never much of a fan until I saw him in that X-Files episode, he was excellent. Then quite good in Everybody Loves Raymond.