PDA

View Full Version : 'Puberty Blockers: Yay or Nay'

MrFanti
06-10-2023, 11:23 PM
https://www.insider.com/how-my-toddler-came-out-as-trans-to-our-family-2021-9

I saw the above article and the hot topic of puberty blockers came to mind.....

mildcigar_2001
06-11-2023, 05:17 AM
I think there is a lot of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy going on with the parents (especially the mothers) of "trans kids".

I think the "at least do no harm" approach is best until the trans person in question is at least 18.

Even then it is no guarantee.

I was reading today that a certain FTM hollywood star was hearing voices and self harming only a few weeks prior to her mastectomy surgery. If someone is having a psychotic break perhaps that is not the best time to make life altering decisions.

Just saying.

SanDiegoPervySage
06-11-2023, 05:22 AM
For minors, nay

Stavros
06-11-2023, 02:59 PM
Parental Rights! So scream the Republicans, until the parents want what they think is best for their trans child. When the froth is smeared away, whether it is De Santis or Trump, both want Politicians to make the decisions that previously they said should be made by Parents. I think the word to apply here is 'hypocrisy'.

Child + Parent + Health Care Professional -the trinity of rational decision making. But I do accept there may be young people in dysfunctional families where the services available do not exist, and they live in fear of social hostility and ridicule.

Robyna93
06-12-2023, 06:55 PM
with puberty blockers you may have certain issues if you decide to go full op later

MrFanti
06-13-2023, 01:36 AM
For minors, nay
As I understand them, they are very "permanent" in effects - correct?

holzz
06-13-2023, 06:02 PM
kids transitioning is iffy. they lack the capacity to handle the long-term ramifications of it. but then dyshporia can take a toll and it can be harsh to let them decide once they are near the age of majority.

Fitzcarraldo
06-15-2023, 03:47 AM
I don't see any reason to assert my uninformed opinions over parents, doctors, and the children involved. I wish legislators had the same awareness.

filghy2
06-15-2023, 05:11 AM
I think the "at least do no harm" approach is best until the trans person in question is at least 18.

You are assuming that there can be no possible harm from not allowing these treatments. I'm wondering what qualifications you have for making that judgement.

Allowing puberty blockers after 18 seems a moot point, given puberty has already passed by that age.

Surely the answer to the question is that there is no simple yes or no. It depends on individual circumstances, so why support a top-down solution? Would you advocate this for any other medical issue?

holzz
06-15-2023, 01:14 PM
I don't see any reason to assert my uninformed opinions over parents, doctors, and the children involved. I wish legislators had the same awareness.

they're guided in making laws by doctors.

Fitzcarraldo
06-15-2023, 02:30 PM

Doctors oppose the laws interfering with providing care to transgender youth. Legislators are guided by their political affiliations and their need for scapegoats.

Stavros
06-15-2023, 03:32 PM

What medical professional with experience of Gender cases, would agree with the language used by legislators in Oklahoma -not 'Gender Affirming Care', but 'surgical and chemical genital mutilation'; or 'gender disfigurement' in Mississippi?
Gender-affirming care: GOP lawmakers escalate fight with bills seeking to expand scope of bans | CNN Politics (https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/11/politics/gender-affirming-care-bans-transgender-rights/index.html)

filghy2
06-16-2023, 03:50 AM
Some participants in this debate seem to be assuming that a large percentage of people who commence their transition as minors turn out to regret this later. Occasional cases that get highlighted in sections of the media don't tell us anything about the real prevalence of a problem. In fact, the evidence from studies of this issue suggests that the rate of recidivism is a very small percentage of those who commence gender-affirming treatments as minors.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/06/15/donald-trump-transgender-children-fact-check/

filghy2
06-16-2023, 03:53 AM

In that case I'm sure you'd like to share with us the scientific studies that are guiding them.

MrFanti
06-16-2023, 03:25 PM
Interesting things coming out of Europe now...

Increasing Number Of European Nations Adopt A More Cautious Approach To Gender-Affirming Care Among Minors
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2023/06/06/increasing-number-of-european-nations-adopt-a-more-cautious-approach-to-gender-affirming-care-among-minors/?sh=62d128147efb

filghy2
06-17-2023, 02:46 AM
There's a big difference between a taking cautious approach, which allows these treatments under strict eligibility requirements, and the sledgehammer approach of banning it completely and criminalising doctors and parents. Maybe there's a medical case for re-examining the eligibility requirements, but Republicans don't seem interested in that.

Stavros
06-17-2023, 07:30 AM
There's a big difference between a taking cautious approach, which allows these treatments under strict eligibility requirements, and the sledgehammer approach of banning it completely and criminalising doctors and parents. Maybe there's a medical case for re-examining the eligibility requirements, but Republicans don't seem interested in that.

A useful summary, in the light of the decision in Indiana, where a Trump-appointed Judge has blocked the more extreme demands of the governing Party, on the basis that denying Gender Affirming Care to a minor would cause the person harm. No surgery is performed on minors in the State. Whether or not the definition of 'harm' can be restricted to an age-group is a potential legal problem, but it is not possible in 2023 to know if a decision made in June of that year has harmful consequences in 2033, but the principle appears to be sound, and is based on medical rather than political reasoning.

Federal judge blocks much of Indiana's ban on gender-affirming care for minors : NPR (https://www.npr.org/2023/06/16/1182931422/judge-blocks-indiana-ban-gender-affirming-care-minors#:~:text=INDIANAPOLIS%20%E2%80%94%20A%20fede ral%20judge%20issued,effect%20as%20scheduled%20Jul y%201.)