PDA

View Full Version : Jump the Shark

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
09-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Lucy Liu

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/HH/0005154/lucy.jpg

thought she was hot beyond belief, and the fact that she was a Queens girl was even hotter, but then she goes overboard and says she's never date Asian during an interview...................

just a bad choice of words from someone who probably had a HUGE Asian fanbase up until that point

Phat
09-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Wu-tang, jumped the shark sometime around 98 or 2000. I'd still hit up a concert if they came around, long as it isnt a promotional tour.

suckseed
09-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Sting. The Police were great. He's always been a pretentious guy, but that was part of him. Then, he lost it, after having more money than anyone would ever need. Pick your moment, but I heard he did a tune with a boy band, did a Jaguar ad purely because his latest 'adult contemporary' album was flopping (the video for Desert Rose was pure camp - passionate wailing middle east guy here, rad turntablist bent over his decks there - you know, the kids dig that rave shit now! Even though no part of the song has a guy beatmatching or scratching.) Andy Summers said he first became aware that 'Every Breath You Take' had been turned into a shitty Tupac tribute or whatever it was by seeing it on tv. Remove his guitar, and you've got a four-note ditty rhyming take, make, break, and fake. But Andy didn't get a dime from it, except for performance royalties. I'm in the business, and see it all the time. The singer writes a melody with four chords, in the studio, the musicians suggest some changes to alleviate the monotony, the singfer says, "Thanks, man!", and gets all the writer's royalties. This has gotten pretty damn long. Basically, I hate it when formerly great artists who can afford to take chances lose their edge and drag down the state of music.

thorn
09-13-2006, 10:19 PM
So true Suckseed. Keeping it in the music mode, Eric Clapton with "Lay Down Sally". With the Yardbirds, John Mayall and even Cream, every note he played was informed by some emotion. Then this 3 chord, twangy Statocaster, pseudo country crap., PLEASE. I guess that giving up heroin was good for the body, bad for the body of work. ( By the way, apologies to the younger people here who must consider this in the same category as a discussion of 15th cenury Italian politics.)

thorn
09-13-2006, 10:19 PM
So true Suckseed. Keeping it in the music mode, Eric Clapton with "Lay Down Sally". With the Yardbirds, John Mayall and even Cream, every note he played was informed by some emotion. Then this 3 chord, twangy Statocaster, pseudo country crap., PLEASE. I guess that giving up heroin was good for the body, bad for the body of work. ( By the way, apologies to the younger people here who must consider this in the same category as a discussion of 15th cenury Italian politics.)

DJ_Asia
09-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Name someone or something that was once at least acceptable to your tastes :) ...

...but somewhere along the way, they lost you. :shock: :? :roll:

I'll start w/ Mel Gibson. Some would say that he jumped the shark with the Jesus movie; some would say it was his shitfaced statements about the Jews; others, when he did the crossdressing movie.

Well, I thought he was just super fucking HOT in Mad Max, and also in "Road Warrior". Both were pretty entertaining too imho.

But "The Year of Living Dangerously"? That movie just DRAGS! And if he never made those other corny movies w/ Danny Glover, his career would have ended years ago.

Eventually, I would like to see Braveheart. But I'm in no hurry.

Actually you passed up his greatest movie.If you're only gonna see one Mel Gibson movie,"Braveheart" is the one...."Braveheart" is an absolute classic,and while Mel does takea few liberties with some historical facts along the way,it is still one of my all-time fav movies.

Back to the topic...Nic Cage in "National Treasure" comes to mind,and while he has probably jumped a few sharks prior,his performance in Leaving Las Vegas was stellar...so what happened Nic?!

DJ Asia

Phat
09-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Andy Summers said he first became aware that 'Every Breath You Take' had been turned into a shitty Tupac tribute or whatever it was by seeing it on tv.

it was a biggie tribute, and while biggie was definitely ill, that tribute was fucking terrible

Legend
09-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Isaac hayes until he join those religious nutcases of bizzaro world and just quit south park its just laughable that they have made fun of christains before and he didn't have a problem with that but one scientology episode and he goes crazy.

Quinn
09-13-2006, 11:28 PM
For me, it's Hollywood in general:

1. Too few good movies.
2. Too few good actors.
3. Too many pointless remakes.
4. Too much preachy bullshit across the spectrum.

-Quinn

Perverted Monk
09-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Definately Arnold Schwarznegger.

He once was in my group of childhood badasses (i.e. Bruce Lee, Sly Stallone, Mr.T). Now that he is the governor of my state, I can't stand the man. Most of the public feels the same.

Atleast Clint is still the man.

Perverted Monk
09-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Name someone or something that was once at least acceptable to your tastes :) ...

...but somewhere along the way, they lost you. :shock: :? :roll:

I'll start w/ Mel Gibson. Some would say that he jumped the shark with the Jesus movie; some would say it was his shitfaced statements about the Jews; others, when he did the crossdressing movie.

Well, I thought he was just super fucking HOT in Mad Max, and also in "Road Warrior". Both were pretty entertaining too imho.

But "The Year of Living Dangerously"? That movie just DRAGS! And if he never made those other corny movies w/ Danny Glover, his career would have ended years ago.

Eventually, I would like to see Braveheart. But I'm in no hurry.

I'm giving Mel another chance. Why? I seen trailers to his latest movie "Apocalypto", and it looks pretty serious. It basically about the decline of the Mayan civilization.

hondarobot
09-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Scooby Doo jumped the shark at least twice. First when the Celebrity Specials came out, like "The Gang Meets Laurel and Hardy!" and things went rapidly downhill from there.

The second major jump was when they introduced Scrappy Doo. That was the bullet in the head. From what I remember they started hauling out all sorts of Doo family members, but I try to wash those memories from my brain.

And in an interesting twist, there was an episode that featured a "sharkman" that, I'm sure, was literally jumped over at some point of the episodes inevitable chase scene climax.

And they would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids. . .

Trogdor
09-14-2006, 01:07 AM
When I was a teen, I liked Britney Spears alot, but since she went WT and hooked up with K-fed.....she's frickin' Lu-ann from the King of the Hill now. :P And as much as I never cared for Justin Timberlake, at least he'd probably be a better husband than that Sponge.

Another one: Julia Roberts. I never cared for her to begin with and I can't stand that giant mouth of hers, but she's really loosing whatever looks she had.

Another: Sharon Stone. Now she was fuckin' HOT in Total Recall and Basic Instinct but man she looks really tired these days. O_o;

and for the dudes: A guy I used to look up to: Burt Reynolds. He was once 'the hunk' of the 70's and he had looks, money and chicks....what guy would not want that? But man, he really fucked him self up with that terrible face lift.....he looks like an elderly Gomez Adams in a wind tunnel.....he must have went to the same plastic surgeon that Joan Rivers and Kenny Rodgers went to. And the hair......Burt....either accept being bald, or shave your head, or go out and get a good hair transplanet procedure....there are good doctoers who can do that for you, just avoid the ones Nick Cage and Elton John went to. And his career......30 years ago he was Smokey and the Bandit, a rather sucessful film.....but now he's Boss Hog in that god awful Dukes of Hazzard.

And don't get me started on Axel Rose. :lol:

How the mighty have fallen

Phat
09-14-2006, 01:18 AM
kevin smith

it's not so much that he fell off, as much as it's he's released the same dull bullshit for his entire career.

BrendaQG
09-14-2006, 03:16 AM
Now I am going to sound like a total geek.

Microsoft Windows. Windows for workgroups 3.1.1 was just right not so much flash and overcomplicated nonsense. Just click program manager then click your program. Simple. Windows 95 and latter have all been overcomplicated crap! Make that old windows more stable and give it updated device drivers and I would use it.

Macromedia Flash. On every G_d darn web page no matter how simple the topic could be. Just way too much of it.

music on webpages. I'm browsing the web just fine and then some stupid embarassing music comes out of my laptop.

School. I'm finding that advanced degress and the people that hold them are all overrated.

Quinn
09-14-2006, 03:22 AM
music on webpages. I'm browsing the web just fine and then some stupid embarassing music comes out of my laptop.

Cosign that. That's very, very fucking annoying. I don't care how good the content is or how important my reason for being there. Once I hear that music, I move on.

-Quinn

werwt22
09-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Music artists in general. First albums are unreal and always steadily decline from then on. They say you have your whole life to create your first album and only so much time before the next which obviously shows. Very few great talents left to me.

Phat
09-14-2006, 05:56 AM
Music artists in general. First albums are unreal and always steadily decline from then on. They say you have your whole life to create your first album and only so much time before the next which obviously shows. Very few great talents left to me.
this is true for the most part, not always just the first album, maybe they had a couple good ones, but everyone falls off at some point

Phat
09-14-2006, 06:33 AM
this is true for the most part, not always just the first album, maybe they had a couple good ones, but everyone falls off at some pointOn an episode of The Kids in the Hall, Dave Foley alledged that rock music jumped the shark with the first Bad Company album. I think he's got something there. 8)

true, but you cant rule out Free

Phat
09-14-2006, 06:38 AM
this is true for the most part, not always just the first album, maybe they had a couple good ones, but everyone falls off at some pointOn an episode of The Kids in the Hall, Dave Foley alledged that rock music jumped the shark with the first Bad Company album. I think he's got something there. 8)

true, but you cant rule out FreeThat was his point; that Free were great, and Bad Co was not. Free were great.

haha I really should have caught that

DJ_Asia
09-14-2006, 12:23 PM

A great example of a band "Jumping the Shark" and never returning was Queen when they came out with the disco infused "The Game" album...what a pile of horse manure!
If you listen to Queen 1,Queen 2,Sheer Heart Attack,Night at the Opera,Day at the Races,News of the World,and to a lesser extent Jazz,those are all BRILLIANT works...and then all hell broke loose when they decided to jump on the disco bandwagon....a little too late and fell flat on their ass afterwards,perhaps not in sales,but def in fan respect.

On the other hand a band who put out 25-35 albums and never tried to jump a shark,and except for a few dud albums that were merely contractual obligations then actually albums(see "Coda" by Led Zeppelin)were the Ramones. Those guys rocked the world for 25 years with 2 minute blasts of fun punk influenced rock,chainsaw guitars,no gimmicks,no BS and only 3 chords...they were awesome!

DJ Asia

Ironhead
09-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Great thread! If we had some sort of rep system here I'd have tagged you twice, Arianna; once for starting the thread and once for the Dave Foley reference :)

I'm gonna go a different direction with this since everyone has hit film and music. ESPN. Once upon a time, this was the best thing on TV for a sports fan but it's become such a corporate beast; building it's own stories to fill the huge amount of air time, making and breaking careers of people who should be "neutral news topics"and not the one sided story of the day they turn them into, trying to sell something in every televised second .....Grrr! you get the picture.

werwt22
09-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Did Billy Crystal jump the shark when...

a. Soap was cancelled
b. he hosted Comedy Relief
c. Mr Saturday Night
d. Analyze That

:?:

It was after City Slickers :wink:

dave dave diablito
09-14-2006, 07:04 PM
A couple of obvious ones:

1.) The Matrix Series - The original was incredible. The other two should never have seen the light of day.

2.) Star Wars - After Star Wars and Empire you end up with 2 and 1/2 hour toy commercials.

Not so obvious:

3.) Carlos Santana - Duets with Rob Thomas, Michelle Branch and now Steven Tyler. Quit trying to end up on TRL Carlos and go back to being an original voice.

peggygee
09-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Now I am going to sound like a total geek.

The many Myspace web pages that have too much
music, verbiage, and in general, 'shit' on them.

They look like a 42nd street hooker, with too much
makeup on, after a facial. :thumbsdown :roll:

A hot mess. :twisted:

peggygee
04-04-2007, 08:29 PM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/sharkfishing.jpg

BrendaQG
04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
:lol:

JenESPY
04-05-2007, 07:29 AM
oh, boy-please tell me the dukes of hazzard is still cool! (fingers and toes crossed)

ain't been a shark yet what has legs enuff to jump that show

Fox
04-05-2007, 09:01 AM
G4TV has definitely fallen off. I never got a chance to watch it when it was TechTV (which everyone says was much better). When I first started watching, it was catered towards geeks and gamers, and now they seem to be trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator (the "cool" stoner types, I guess).

Also, the reviews on X-Play used to be decent with funny jokes thrown in, these days they're semi-funny at best (wtih a few exceptions) parody skits with reviews thrown in. One of the co-hosts of Attack Of The Show (Olivia Munn) has admitted to not being much of a gamer (would you hire someone who's not really into sports to host a sports show?). I miss the live relationship calls Kevin Periera and Sarah Lane would take and give advice on. It was funny because they weren't the least bit qualified for it, and openly said so. And another thing...

Can someone tell me why a tech network needs a street car show (Street Fury)? Or a reality show that has nothing to do with anything techie (The Block)? Or coverage of a weed festival (forgot the name)?

Ah, that's right, ratings... :roll:

Mac_Hine
04-05-2007, 10:14 AM
You know what's funny. The rich nerd who started Jump the Shark now has fuck you money.