Still Here 5 Star Poster

Default Interview with Octavia Saint-Laurent Manolo-Blahnik

Taken from the Oct. 21, 2005 issue of Next Magazine. Some typos (blame the scanning software).

Strong Medicine
    The Heavenly Angel Octavia Saint-Laurent Manolo-Blahnik hosts ADD-TV’s Pill Awards. Fourteen years after Paris Is Burning, her fire is still burning as bright- and as hot – as ever.

By Gregory T. Angelo

“Pre-op means someone who’s preparing to change their sex and I don’t want to be no woman- that the last thing I’d want to be!” The Heaven Angel Octavia Saint-Laurent Manolo-Blahnik blasts over the telephone before our interview even begins. She stops shorts and giggles, adding: “Just Beautiful, honey – that’s all I want to be.”
    Saint-Laurent prefer the term “eunuch” (“she-male” and “third gender” are also acceptable), thought she’d probably be happy if people forewent labeling her at all. But because imagining a label-less world is hopelessly optimistic, Saint-Laurent instead spends the preponderance of her time educating collegiates at sexual identity lectures throughout the country and working as a facilitator in Connecticut at a home for gay, lesbian and various other-sexual youth ostracized by category-happy society at large- she’s like a third gender Mary Poppins (only fiercer than Julie Andrews ever was).

It’s not a far cry from her life in 1990 New York. Ten, Saint Laurent was fixture of the city’s ball scene, part of the network of Houses immortalized in the following year in seminal documentary Paris is Burning.

In other ways, however, a great deal has changed for Saint-Laurent. Most all of the original personalities profiled in Paris is Burning have since passed away, victims of the HIV and AIDS epidemic – a scourge of which St-Laurent herself almost became a statistic. But instead of succumbing to the disease, St-Laurent fought it – and continues to do so. And on Tuesday, October 25, the grand dame will make her return to Gotham as hostess of Pill Awards, George Lyter’s madcap celebration of avant-garde audiovisualists who still know the meaning of the rare trait known as “genuine creativity”.

She’s still as opinionated as ever-as was made abundantly clear when she picked up the phone. Saint-Laurent deals in tought love, but she always tempers it with a touch of sweetness. Just like Mary Poppins, Octavia Saint-Laurent knows that medicine always goes down easier with a spoonful of sugar.

Sooo…I’m guessing you don’t think you’ve been treated well by the media. I’d expect ignorance in mainstream media, but have you experience it in gay media as well?
    The gay media is the worst! It’s like they’re all too busy trying to identify what we’re doing in bed. First of all, I’m asexual – I’ve been celibate for almost 10 years, so if you’re trying to categorize me like that, then you can’t. The gay media seems concerned with separating gay people from transsexuals. It’s funny, because most of the gay people that I’ve been around are on the feminine side, and it’s always been a battle between the transgendered and the so-called “butch queens”. I just want the press to be accurate, because I get very offended otherwise. I’m not trying to be anything but what god made me.

You’ve been living in Connecticut for the pasty year after calling New York your home your whole life. Why move?
    I was a recovering drug addict and I needed to wipe myself clean of the people that were in my life in order to spiritually, emotionally and physically survive. I’ve been more focused since I’ve come to [Connecticut] and gotten more involved with good people. It’s been a great change.

I know you’ve been doing a lot of interviews now that Paris is Burning has been re-released on DVD. Have you found people have always viewed you in conjunction with the film?
    To be honest, I don’t think the new generation is in-tune with Paris is Burning. Paris is Burning was huge for me and I loved it, but the second generation hasn’t been too aware of it. This [DVD release] is like a second chance for us to start all over again – and this time to do it right.

Do you think you could ever recapture the ball scene as it was then?
    Oh, the ball scene is absolutely disgusting now! I just went to a ball a couple of weeks ago and I was chopped! That had never happened to me before! I practically created the ballroom scene and I was overwhelmed by the level of disrespect there today. It’s become a joke; the artistry of the ball scene is gone, the competitive aspect is non-existent. The ballroom scene is a laugh; there’s nothing positive about it today. I don’t want to be a part of it anymore.

In your view, what happened?
    As with everything, things evolve and the new generation tries to add their view to things; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t – unfortunately, I’m sad to say that as far as balls go, it didn’t work.

To get back to my question, are you saying it’s impossible to recapture the feeling of the Paris is Burning era?
    In light of the scene today, most definitely. Today, you go to balls and they’re a waste of time. Back when I started, Houses were really like a family who stuck by you thought thick and thin. Today it’s become very competitive outside the ball as opposed to inside the ball. It’s not about family anymore; it has nothing to do with having the security of having you House members stand by you. Now it’s gotten to a point where people go to a ball expecting to be disappointed – it’s not even a question anymore. And the people who think they’re above everyone else need to be shut down. I have the power to start it all again, but right now I’m not in a position to do so. It’s important that these kids be able to get together and release some stress instead of fighting. But I have to gain good followers before I can do anything, and I don’t know how long that will take.

Was your diagnosis as HIV-positive responsible for your current outlook on life?
    Actually, when the doctors told me I was going to die, I was like “Thank God! No more pain, no more prejudice, no more hatred, no more loneliness.” I was ready to go! And the next morning when I woke up and realized I was still alive I was like, “Shit! It’s not over yet!” I was disappointed when they told me I was a miracle case with some rare gene because of my unique gender condition that worked like and antibiotic and healed me. Now, everyday is a struggle for me, but I’m really focusing on the positive aspects of my life and trying to help others like myself to promote that type of an existence.

So what brought about your involvement hosting the Pill Awards?
    I didn’t want to cut out New York entirely! I love George [Lyter], and I also need to be out there – to be seen and heard; I need people to hear my music, which will be playing at the Awards. Some very important people are going to be there and I need to capture some eyes. I want to show people that I can sing-sing – I’m not some drag queen lip-synching at a club. I want to show people that I haven’t gotten older – I’ve only gotten better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	octavia0001_164.jpg 
Views:	1279 
Size:	377.3 KB 
ID:	31495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	octavia0002_170.jpg 
Views:	1237 
Size:	385.6 KB 
ID:	31496  

Junior Poster

Shes a miza miza rahi (Mizrahi) now!

As writer and critic 'Rod Online' announces on his blog today, the October issue of Out Magazine features a story on the aftermath of the documentary 'Paris Is Burning' on its director Jennifer Livingston and former stars Octavia Mizrahi (formely Octavia St. Laurent) and Willi Ninja.

MORE ON STORY HERE[/url]

*AMANDA LEPORE*

*KIELY MARIE - THE SWEETEST YOU'LL EVER KNOW!*

Still Here 5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Kiely_Marie
    Shes a miza miza rahi (Mizrahi) now!
    I think you're correct Kiely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	miza_291.jpeg 
Views:	1146 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	31501