Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: Hillary Clinton: I Used to Love Her

I far as the thread topic goes, I first respected Hillary for her personal involvement with the attempt to establish a national healthcare system during her husband’s presidency, although I was in my teens then and not paying a whole lot of attention. It seemed to me at the time that the country was wildly polarized over the Clinton presidency: there were accusations of murder, endless investigations and finally a silly impeachment over a blow-job. (Whitewater turned out to be nonsense and a huge waste of money by the vindictive prosecutor Ken Star who couldn't bare to see a Democrat in the White House and a First Lady with real intelligence and spunk. Impeaching the leader of the Free World over a blow-job astounded the whole world and had them laughing at our American prudishness. Of course it wasn’t really about the blow-job, nor about lying about a blow-job. It was an attempted coup d’etat).

I voted for Obama in the 2008 primary in part because I remembered how polarizing Hillary was eight years prior (through no fault of her own). I thought it that would make it difficult for her to get anything done. Boy was I wrong. I should’ve known a Black man in the White House was a hell of a lot more polarizing than any Clinton could be.

My current respect for Hillary mostly derives from the way she handled herself as Secretary of State. (Yeah, yeah...I know... Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi. Please give nonsense a rest) She held the office during particularly difficult times, as we all know from watch the world seethe in turmoil on the nightly news. She reformed the State Department, established the The Global Hunger and Food Security Initiative, increased the number women ambassadors, played integral roles in designing, implementing or smoothing the way for a plethora of treaties and agreements between nations (e.g. The Turkish-Armenian Accord) and was quick to offer aid and comfort to nations hit by tragic events (e.g. The Peshawar Bombing of 2009).

Because of her service as Secretary of State, her credentials for the Office of the Presidency are impeccable. Better than anybody else’s. I think she is far less polarizing than she once was...largely because she has demonstrated her competence and authority and because the old fogies who are still mad that Bill took the White House two times in a row last century (indeed stole it from one term president G.H. Bush) are slowly fading away.

Will I vote for Hillary in the primary? Depends, on whether she's running and who she’s running against. Did I mention I really like Elizabeth Warren?

Last edited by trish; 12-20-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Big Backers of Clinton Foundation Found in Leaked Swiss Bank Files: Report:

http://www.commondreams.org/news/201...k-files-report

The unelected dictatorship of money...

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

A Radical Agenda for Hillary Clinton:

http://www.commondreams.org/views/20...illary-clinton

A recipe for endless war...

8 Things You Need to Know About Hillary Clinton and Climate Change:

http://www.commondreams.org/views/20...climate-change

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I am surprised there has not been much of a reaction here to the official announcement that Mrs Clinton is running for the White House. Perhaps people are busy. Although I think it is time for a woman to become President, I don't think Mrs Clinton is the one, to my mind she is more aggressive than Obama, particularly on foreign policy, and from what I have read has a short temper which may make her management of the Oval Office a torrid affair for those she chooses. Apart from the problem of being American royalty, a problem for Jeb Bush if he also runs, is that the vitriolic abuse Mrs Clinton is likely to suffer from the Republicans may swing voters her way for non-political reasons, and may also be generated by poor competitors resorting to grubby tactics. I don't know much about the Republicans other than their names and that Rand Paul is seen as more moderate than Marc Rubio. I wonder if there is a sound Democrat -male- who will surprise the Clinton campaign? It is early stages, but I think the next six months will be interesting for an outsider to watch. For what its worth I read an article a month or so ago about the collapsing infrastructure in the US, bridges that can barely stand up, highways in poor condition, etc -perhaps re-building America should take precedence over military engagements overseas....?

Hillary Clinton Officially Begins Her $2.5 Billion Presidential Campaign:

http://gothamist.com/2015/04/12/hills_hills_hills.php

Hillary Clinton Cannot Be Less(er) Evil Than Anyone:

http://warisacrime.org/hillary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0000002.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	833228

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I am surprised there has not been much of a reaction here to the official announcement that Mrs Clinton is running for the White House. Perhaps people are busy. Although I think it is time for a woman to become President, I don't think Mrs Clinton is the one, to my mind she is more aggressive than Obama, particularly on foreign policy, and from what I have read has a short temper which may make her management of the Oval Office a torrid affair for those she chooses. Apart from the problem of being American royalty, a problem for Jeb Bush if he also runs, is that the vitriolic abuse Mrs Clinton is likely to suffer from the Republicans may swing voters her way for non-political reasons, and may also be generated by poor competitors resorting to grubby tactics. I don't know much about the Republicans other than their names and that Rand Paul is seen as more moderate than Marc Rubio. I wonder if there is a sound Democrat -male- who will surprise the Clinton campaign? It is early stages, but I think the next six months will be interesting for an outsider to watch. For what its worth I read an article a month or so ago about the collapsing infrastructure in the US, bridges that can barely stand up, highways in poor condition, etc -perhaps re-building America should take precedence over military engagements overseas....?
    There are always going to be 'firsts' in an election just as there are 'firsts' in the Oscars. There will be a first hispanic, asian, Jew, gay,etc...plus all the opposite gender 'firsts' to go along with it...perhaps a transsexual, hindu, buddhist...whatever. we have a tendency to celebrate 'firsts' forever... fuck all that, i don't believe firsts are that big a deal anymore; I think anyone can now get elected in the USA given the right circumstance...within reason.
    So I don't think it's "time" for any particular gender or ethnic persuasion. A woman will get elected either now or at some point. I don't believe that's a barrier anymore. But right now we don't even know what other Democrat will run until they announce. The republican party is still pretty fractured at this point so that even if no other democrat ran, Mrs.Clinton would still have a very decent shot at beating them...but maybe not the best chance.
    I believe she lost to President Obama in the primary because he was a fresh face who at least seemed to stand for certain ideals...and he was young and cool; not a bad thing when young people came out in droves to vote for change. She seemed like the typical machine politician, and she proved it when she used that "phone call' commercial against him.
    I usually vote republican in most elections. I didn't vote for Obama...but I can honestly say I'm not dissappointed he won. Both times. I actually think when you remove all the nuance...he pretty much stood by his real (non political) convictions in the long run. I think what hurts him most is that he doesn't understand the importance of perception when it comes to foreign policy. I think he's tone deaf on that issue, but hey, most presidents stumble after trhis long a time in office...but Hillary....i honestly don't think she stands for anything. She could be good or bad...it all depends on which way the wind blows.