Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: The Concept Of Being "God Fearing"

I saw ...

a potato chip shaped exactly like Prophet Muhammad once. No mistake about it. And just an hour before the most illustrious assassinations yesterday of twelve cartoonists ...

I saw ...

all thirteen of Muhammad's wives on the burnt surface of a piece of Texas toast.

Don't shoot me. They were just there. I just saw 'em, I didn't draw 'em.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

As it is blasphemous to have any visual image of Muhammad, shouldn't all chips and toast be destroyed?

What's "Texas Toast"? Is it larger than normal toast or is it toasted using burning crosses?

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I saw ...

a potato chip shaped exactly like Prophet Muhammad once. No mistake about it. And just an hour before the most illustrious assassinations yesterday of twelve cartoonists ...

I saw ...

all thirteen of Muhammad's wives on the burnt surface of a piece of Texas toast.

Don't shoot me. They were just there. I just saw 'em, I didn't draw 'em.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muhammed-toast.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	790964  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

This was my toast (non-Texan) this morning - honest! I know what I'm going to worship in future. It's a sign.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71jZjTzXfYL._SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	790965  

Just for safety's sake, best to add a disclaimer:
    Ce ne est pas les organes génitaux du prophète.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Just for safety's sake, best to add a disclaimer:
    Ce ne est pas les organes génitaux du prophète.
    You'd need a bigger piece of toast;

Member Rookie Poster

Time for a thread necro...

Quote Originally Posted by timmartin View Post
    Gays and blacks are real and they have feelings.
    So you've acquired empirical evidence that no god exists? This is what I find absolutely ridiculous about atheism, it's just like any religion being based on faith. The universe is a big place and an even bigger place is the apparent multiverse beyond it which is supposedly infinite and yet you atheists decree that there is absolutely no god just because you don't see a bearded man walking on this Earth and jumping from cloud to cloud. I find it hilarious.

Worst yet is the explanation from atheists about how the universe came here: "it's just here because" apparently unaware that a theist can use that same very argument then to argue that a god just exists "just because" and arose the same very way that apparently a godless universe could.

Just adding my two cents, I'm not religious myself so I can understand the criticisms against religions but I think atheism is absolute arrogance.

I don't know what god is like or if he even cares but it makes more sense believing than not. If conciousness can arise by itself then I see no reason why it can't do so outside of the universe or in another dimension.

It is hard, if not impossible, to show that something does not exist, if you accept (agreed a matter of faith) Occam's Razor

The principle states that among competing hypotheses that predict equally well, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove to provide better predictions, but—in the absence of differences in predictive ability—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better.

Then the argument is do we need a deity (in the christian juristic tradition) to explain what we can observe. If not, then god is an invention - useful for many. Being useful, does not make it correct.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

You cannot observe neutrinos, but science believes that they exist. Discuss.

Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded in 1995 to Clyde Cowan and Frederick Reines for experimental observation of the effects of neutrino fluxes. Want more?

In fact neutrinos are a powerful example of the scientific method from Pauli's and Fermi's prediction that such a particle was necessary to explain observed phenomena then numerous observations have confirmed its existence.

In the late 1920’s early 1930’s it was discovered that a proton (another particle we can’t see) could become electrically neutral by absorbing an electron, thereby becoming a neutron. In the reverse process, a neutron can be stimulated to eject an electron becoming a proton. The latter process is called beta-decay (beta-particles had earlier been identified as electrons and both names remained in use). There was some difficulty in keeping track of all the energy and momentum in these processes; i.e. momentum of the neutron prior to beta decay is greater than (by a small amount) the recoil momentum of the proton plus the momentum of the ejected electron. This contradicts a principle known as conservation of momentum. Conservation of momentum had been established since Newton, elaborated upon and tested over and over again in many different contexts. Nevertheless, Niels Bohr suggested that on subatomic scales the conservation of momentum may need to be amended. Perhaps its a statistical principle with a small range of allowable fluctuation. Wolfang Pauli, however, proposed that during beta-decay a neutron not only ejects an electron but it also ejects another particle with just the right amount of momentum to save the law of momentum conservation. The proposed particle would have to be very small, very light weight, very speedy and electrically neutral, hence the name neutrino.

So the existence of neutrinos was first hypothesized as a possible explanation of how energy and momenta should be accounted for in beta-decay.

Since then other types of particle decay were shown to be consistent with the conservation of energy and momentum provided certain particles were involved that had exactly the physical characteristics (charge, spin etc.) as Pauli’s neutrino. Other subatomic interactions revealed other types of neutrinos (antineutrino, muon neutrinos and tau neutrinos).

Still, no one really understood why beta-decay happens in the first place. Glashow, Weinberg and Salaam addressed this question in their Nobel prize winning work (I believe in the 1970’s). Later the Standard Model of particle physics (a set of assumptions that propose the dynamical equations that describe the behavior of quarks and leptons must display certain kinds of symmetry) was shown to entail the existence of neutrinos.

The proton is another particle we can’t literally see. But because it is positively charged it will ionize ordinary matter if it has a high enough energy to pass through it. Think cosmic rays. For that matter, the only things we do literally see are photons with frequencies in the range of visible light. I don’t literally see the lip of a cup as I sip my morning coffee, I see light reflected off the lip. We “see” things by their effects upon our biologically evolved detection systems. In 1950 neutrinos ejected by a nuclear reactor were detected. It was predicted if a large body of water into which cadmium chloride was dissolved were placed near the reaction, the flux of antineutrinos through the water would interact with protons in the solution and produce positrons (which in turn would quickly annihilate with the electrons in the water producing a quantifiable, signature amount of energy) and neutrons (which were absorbed by the cadmium ions in the water produce a quantifiable, signature number of detectable gamma rays). The prediction was born out. Since then neutrinos of various types from various sources have been detected in various ways.

Does science believe that neutrinos exist? Well, science isn’t really the sort of thing that believes, is it? When asked, most scientists will assent to the probable existence of neutrinos. Most of them (who are in fields other than particle theory), instead of employing first hand evidence, will be relying upon the intellectual integrity of their colleagues. Those who do have deep familiarity with the theories, equations, experiments and measurements will say they believe that neutrinos almost surely exist. Although, like Niels Bohr who was willing to give up the well tested principle of momentum conservation, they will have a reservation buried in that “almost surely” and they, if necessary, would be willing to give it up for a more encompassing, testable explanation of all the phenomena which are currently quantitively explained by the neutrino hypothesis.

Last edited by trish; 09-22-2015 at 04:35 PM.