• Pacquaio

33 49.25%
  • Mayweather

34 50.75%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Junior Poster

Default Re: Pacquaio vs Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by Plaything View Post
    Remember watching Sugar Ray v Hagler in 'Bar Italia' Soho: London. Big Screen...Peroni and espresso...adjudicated a draw. But Hagler had it for me. Just reminiscing.
    Was a great fight, a lesson in illusion from Sugar Ray who rightly or wrongly won on a split decision. Still one of my favourite boxers

Gold Poster

There's no general boxing thread. I'm not sure I want to start one, but anyone see the Kovalev-Pascal fight? Looking forward to Kovalev Stevenson down the line?

Any boxing fans out there?

Junior Member Rookie Poster

I'm surprised (and delighted!) to find a little core of boxing fandom here of all places

Very excited about Mayweather/Pacquiao, and am very unsure which way it'll go. They're both extraordinary, and so different that predicting how their styles will collide is impossible. I'm certain Mayweather has dodged Pacman until now, and is only fighting him because Showtime demand more for their money than they've been getting from him lately. Maidana twice? Really? Khan nearly ko'd him with a body punch in round 1 of their fight. Taking a stand on on steroid abuse? Don't fight Marquez then!

I reckon he avoids skilful fighters who could outwork him, look busier, and conceivably win on points - which explains why he chose to fight Maidana over Khan, who would have been at least as big a box office draw. But that's boxing, and he's earned the right to pick his fights. Mayweather has to be favourite but I'll be rooting for Pacquiao, and definitely think he has a chance. He may even embarrass him, who knows.

I reckon Kovalev has Stevenson's measure, broncofan, but yes - can't wait for that one either. Carl Frampton (who I'd love to see fight Leo Santa Cruz) and Anthony Joshua are pushing my buttons, UK-wise - both worldbeaters IMO.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

I like your analysis on Mayweather. Even if he ends up retiring undefeated, he was very cautious along the way in his choice of opponents. People will point to who he ended up beating in his career, but may forget that he could have fought many of these opponents when they were perceived as more dangerous. That includes Cotto, Mosley, and De La Hoya.

If Floyd beats Pacquiao, he would also have the option of fighting Gennady Golovkin, who has said he would be willing to make 154 pounds. That fight simply will not happen. So, this is the toughest fight we will ever see Floyd in.

BTW, I agree Khan would have presented stylistic problems for Floyd. Khan's big apparent weakness, punch resistance, is less an issue against the counter-punching Mayweather.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Yes, and Floyd's careful matchmaking is all the more frustrating for the fact that he's rarely been remotely troubled, and scarcely ever buzzed with a heavy shot, let alone knocked down. He could have taken apparently riskier options and still remained undefeated. But I think the paymasters have been complicit in this: his career has coincided with a pretty thin time for American boxing, at least compared with previous eras, making him far more of a cash cow than he would have been otherwise. Invulnerable boxers don't tend to rake in the box office like he does (see Andre Ward, Guillermo Rigondeaux.)

I'm expecting a frustrating, hard to score fight.

Khan's interesting. His questionable punch resistance leads everyone to think they have a chance against him, which should make matchmaking easier. On the other hand, those losses give an easy excuse for marquee names to avoid him, i.e. 'He's not in my league/ Look who beat him/Why would I bother?' His speed is scary, and I think his power is underestimated, cf. that Maidana gut punch. He could trouble Mayweather, but would almost certainly be knocked out by Brook (who is clearly very special indeed.)

Gold Poster

I was very excited about Khan when he first entered the pro ranks. His boxing ability is superb. It is a shame he isn't able to take a punch better but I really think it's beyond his control. If someone has trouble taking a shot it's not because they're not tough enough...the great Tommy Hearns could not have been tougher but had the same susceptibility. So it's a shame there. I have heard a lot about Kell Brook but I'll have to watch some of his fights. I don't follow as much as I did ten or fifteen years ago.

Khan can beat anyone on a given day...I agree with your theory that his knockout losses provide a better excuse to avoid him..I imagine top fighters know he's not as vulnerable as he looked in those fights (Prescott and Garcia) as there's no guarantee they get to him.

Even if Floyd took all of the fights when he should have, he still would have probably won them all. I don't think he necessarily thought he'd lose but was taking a path of lesser resistance (better value per risk as you say).

Pac provides an interesting style matchup for Floyd. Floyd fights southpaws pretty well. He has no problem getting his punches home as his straight right hand is a sharp punch. But from his fights against Judah, Mitchell, and Corley I get the sense he's more hittable; or to be more accurate less unhittable. His defense against right handers is unbelievable. The right hands slide off his shoulder, the left hooks sweep air. But maybe against a southpaw he's a bit more human. So I am looking forward to an interesting fight.

I like 'less unhittable'. That's exactly it.

Kell Brook has been excellent ever since a wake-up call against Carson Jones; he'd been a bit lax with his training and was (a bit) lucky to get the decision. Since then he's been a man on a mission, and I recommend watching Brook-Porter if you haven't already. His fight with Senchenko, who had only lost once previously (to Malignaggi on cuts) is worth a look too.

Less frustrating than Khan's chin, which he can obviously do nothing about, is his lack of control. He still loses focus and forgets the game plan too readily (and he must be the least sneaky holder/grabber in the business!) Listening to Virgil Hunter berate him between rounds is always entertaining though, and a Khan fight is never dull.

Gold Poster

I'll watch a couple of Kell Brook fights in the next few days and get back to you!

Professional Poster celticgrafix's Avatar

Should of happened years ago and yes Connor mcgregor would beat mayweathers ass