Page 80 of 81 FirstFirst ... 307075767778798081 LastLast
    filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: US Elections 2020

There's some more discussion of recent polls here. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...trump-approval

While there's been a significant fall, around 2/3 to 3/4 of those identifying as Republicans still approve of Trump. A similar proportion of those approving say they strongly approve. So it looks like the majority of Republican voters are still pretty strong fans of Trump. Therein lies the problem for saner Republicans wanting to take back control of the party.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Today a man was arrested with a fake inauguration credential and all kinds of ammo and weapons. A few days ago we heard from Sidney111 that the insurrection at the capitol was a both sides issue. Unfortunately he did not want to discuss it but just to post articles without challenge.

It seems to me one person could de-radicalize millions by admitting that the election fraud claims are false and that Joe Biden won. That person is Donald Trump. By needing to lie to millions of his fervent supporters he feeds the hatred that led to violence at the capitol and could lead to violence at the inauguration.

If a person could listen to Trump's call to Brad Raffensperger and not think that was unacceptable behavior then they will be difficult to reach. Or if they think Trump's response after the capitol breach was okay, then there's nothing to discuss. I will not find common ground with people who have no use for objective reality or basic fairness and we're not in a position where that kind of bullshit has to be placated either.

In other news, Mr. Camp Auschwitz, Confederate flag guy, and neo-nazi Baked Alaska have been arrested so far. They will join zip-tie guy in the pen where they belong.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/virgi...ushpmg00000067

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Today a man was arrested with a fake inauguration credential and all kinds of ammo and weapons.

In other news, Mr. Camp Auschwitz, Confederate flag guy, and neo-nazi Baked Alaska have been arrested so far. They will join zip-tie guy in the pen where they belong.
    We should be thankful that these people so often bring themselves undone with their brazen stupidity. The Capitol occupiers plastered their faces all over the internet, and now we have these guys getting arrested while openly carrying guns (another one yesterday). It seems the same delusionism that motivates their actions also undermines their ability to succeed - given that competence in anything requires a capacity to make realistic assessments.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    We should be thankful that these people so often bring themselves undone with their brazen stupidity. The Capitol occupiers plastered their faces all over the internet, and now we have these guys getting arrested while openly carrying guns (another one yesterday). It seems the same delusionism that motivates their actions also undermines their ability to succeed - given that competence in anything requires a capacity to make realistic assessments.
    This one realtor lady who was screaming about revolution and broke a window personally requested a pardon from Trump. Her excuse was that he gave her permission which is an interesting one because if he accepts it that won't exactly help him. It also doesn't help her since I'm pretty sure our Constitution doesn't allow the President to deputize a Real estate agent to dissolve Congress. Mind you I haven't read the federalist papers so who knows.

I'm glad the senate trial of Trump is held in abeyance because it means Trump is less likely to pardon the seditionists. It's important they serve time imo.

You're right about the people so far who have tried to carry out these attacks. I think a lady today claimed she was in Trump's cabinet which maybe wasn't the best cover story. That's the latest one but it's not really news until it's organized and a slightly bigger threat.

But again, any other President in the last 50 years would have released a statement by now legitimizing Biden's win.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

This one realtor lady who was screaming about revolution and broke a window personally requested a pardon from Trump.
    It's almost unbelievable until you hear her say it.

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/sta...53097818329089

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/statu...83872920072195

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    The only thing she deserves is a one way trip to federal prison for participating in a domestic terrorist attack.

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

This one realtor lady who was screaming about revolution and broke a window personally requested a pardon from Trump. Her excuse was that he gave her permission which is an interesting one because if he accepts it that won't exactly help him. It also doesn't help her since I'm pretty sure our Constitution doesn't allow the President to deputize a Real estate agent to dissolve Congress. Mind you I haven't read the federalist papers so who knows.

I'm glad the senate trial of Trump is held in abeyance because it means Trump is less likely to pardon the seditionists. It's important they serve time imo.

You're right about the people so far who have tried to carry out these attacks. I think a lady today claimed she was in Trump's cabinet which maybe wasn't the best cover story. That's the latest one but it's not really news until it's organized and a slightly bigger threat.

But again, any other President in the last 50 years would have released a statement by now legitimizing Biden's win.
    Agree that any other president in the last 50 years would have released a statement by now legitimizing Biden's win. And in 3 more days Trump's term comes to end,and Biden's term begins.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post

Her mistake was to go public. She may fare better having a quiet word with Rudolph Giuliani Jr, "let Donald know I'm willing to negotiate, and cut him in on a tasty apartment block in Fort Worth...but I can't go over $1 million..."

filghy2 Silver Poster

It may turn out to be a good thing that the Senate trial has been postponed until after Biden's inauguration because it gives Trump an incentive to behave. Even he must know that inciting more violence or pardoning the rioters would induce more Republican senators to vote for his conviction.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Her mistake was to go public. She may fare better having a quiet word with Rudolph Giuliani Jr, "let Donald know I'm willing to negotiate, and cut him in on a tasty apartment block in Fort Worth...but I can't go over $1 million..."
    There are rumours that people are paying Trump for pardons. At this point I haven't read a reliable source for that but I wouldn't put it past him.