Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: Billionaire Koch Brothers Have Given More Than $100 Million to right wing causes.

I do disagree with you on your last point. The two parties seem to me to be very different in important ways. I don't think, for example, that Gore would have invaded Iraq.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Default Re: Billionaire Koch Brothers Have Given More Than $100 Million to right wing causes.

May I ask you dreamon how many of your opinions I downthumbed? I'm just trying to have a discussion. It'd be more helpful if you tell us what it is about a particular post that you object to and why, rather than downthumbing the whole post.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I do disagree with you on your last point. The two parties seem to me to be very different in important ways. I don't think, for example, that Gore would have invaded Iraq.
    I completely agree. Both parties have been involved in Middle Eastern affairs, but it was an exceedingly bizarre move to attack Iraq to remove Hussein from power. Even when Iraq committed aggression against a neighboring state and gassed a hundred thousand Kurds we did not attempt a regime change. The cost of that decision has been extraordinary. I don't even understand the view that the parties are the same, when frankly they take different positions on so many issues.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    John Kerry, Joe Biden, Joe Lieberman, Dianne Feinstein, Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, John Edwards, Tom Daschle, Maria Cantwell, Jay Rockwell.

All of these Democrats voted yes to the illegal war in Iraq.

The only prominent Dems to vote no were Ted Kennedy and racist Robert Byrd.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamon View Post
    John Kerry, Joe Biden, Joe Lieberman, Dianne Feinstein, Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, John Edwards, Tom Daschle, Maria Cantwell, Jay Rockwell.

All of these Democrats voted yes to the illegal war in Iraq.

The only prominent Dems to vote no were Ted Kennedy and racist Robert Byrd.
    There are more Congressmen than prominent ones and the Republicans do own the War in Iraq. It would never even had occurred to Gore to invade Iraq. It took Bush/Cheney wreck the budget with an additional war in the MiddleEast, never mind the people it killed.

In post #41 that I mentioned the War in Iraq was just one issue where the parties large differ. Another is the Affordable Care Act. I’m guessing you don’t like the ACA, but certainly it stands as a significant difference between the parties. Had McCain and Palin won in 2008 we would not have the ACA.

A minor issue of contention between the parties, but one’s that in the news now is the KeyStone Pipeline.

The parties disagree what to do with the immigrant children arriving at our border from Central America. Up until now they largely disagreed on just about every aspect of Immigration.

And the list goes on. But on another topic...

I noticed you downthumbed my post #40 but haven’t yet said why. It was an answer to your question in post #39 and I thought you would’ve agreed with it. It would surprise me if you thought we should fault the Koch brothers and Mr. Steyer for spending their money the way they see fit. So am I right in thinking you downthumbed the post for suggesting we pass stricter campaign finance laws and for finding fault with Citizens United. Then on the other hand, that can’t be it, ‘cause you didn’t downthumb anyone else who suggest the latter. Hmmm I’m puzzled. Oh, I know, you’re just trigger happy. Guess I’m lucky you’re not allowed to carry firearms on the web.

By your response to post #42 I assume you don’t think it would be helpful to share with us what is is about a particular post you find objectionable and why. Am I right about that. If not why?

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

In response to your post dreamon, there is a difference between conceiving an idea and supporting it once that idea has been presented. It was the Bush administration who were hellbent on attacking Iraq and manufactured a case in support of it.

Bush and his cronies argued that Iraq had WMD, that it was trying to obtain uranium in Niger, and that there was a connection between Iraq and 9/11. I have a lot of trouble believing that any Democratic presidential candidate in 2000 would have as commander in chief decided to invade Iraq on such a weak pretext. That includes those who supported the invasion once the administration put together a package of falsified evidence.

What about the respective parties' stances on gay marriage? Or health care? Or taxation? Or spending? Or women's rights, including both abortion and contraception?

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    What about the respective parties' stances on gay marriage?
    Neither actively support it, one side says they do, one side says they don't, neither does anything about it.

Or health care?
    The Republicans invented the system the Democrats took national.

Or taxation?
    They both support higher taxes.

On spending?
    They both support spending more money.

Or women's rights, including both abortion and contraception?
    Abortion may be one issue where they differ. Congratulations on finding one minor social issue where they differ.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Gay marriage-Many Republicans support amendments to state constitutions to ban gay marriage. I can't think of any Democrats who have been active in trying to achieve that (maybe you'll be able to find one if you look hard). There are also a ton of interest groups that donate to the Republican party that actively lobby for some of these state initiatives to alter their state constitutions.
    Health care- Some Republicans may have helped develop the health care system but when it came time to implement it, there was complete division. Republican presidential candidates even said they would do everything they could to repeal PPACA if elected. Republican activist groups helped to argue the personal mandate was unconstitutional.
    Taxes-The parties have historically disagreed on the estate tax, which Republicans call the death tax and want to eliminate. They historically disagree on capital gains tax, which Republicans want to eliminate. Republicans have called for eliminating the dividend tax, calling it a double tax. They also are reluctant to increase the tax rate for the highest tax bracket.
    Spending-Republicans have recently called for a balanced budget, despite the fact that Bush helped to increase the national debt significantly. They want to reduce so-called entitlements. They opposed parts of the stimulus package by Obama as well. Democrats would prefer to balance the budget by increasing taxes rather than significantly cutting programs.

When you analyze politics like a five year old, of course everything seems the same.

Last edited by broncofan; 01-31-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dreamon View Post
    Congratulations on finding one minor social issue where they differ.
    I bet most women don't think abortion is a minor social issue.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I bet most women don't think abortion is a minor social issue.
    It's not, but it really is overplayed by the parties.
    Since this is something that the parties do "more obviously" differ on it is still brought up at elections...but I really think it's practically a red herring at this point. Every one in politics pretty much understands that during a primary election, people in both parties have to cater somewhat to their extreme ends. With the Republicans that would be with the religious right who view ALL abortions as murder...with the Democrats it's the shrill left who think it's NEVER murder ...even when the kid is practically adult sized already. In those type of cases, in IMHO...it really isn't a women's right issue anymore....and I think most moderates line up somewhere in the middle on this.
    But there are tons of Republicans, that during a primary will tote the party line even when you know they don't really mean it...and we know this by things they've said in the past......it's why most politicians have a bit of a waffle in their history.
    ...and abortions are not going to become illegal again regardless who wins.

...and just for the record, I don't have a problem with abortions...I think they should probably be carried out more often, but I also think at some point in time you are actually killing a human being, but it is sometimes a necessary evil.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.