Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

Default They're calling this "Hell on Earth"

My deepest sympathy goes out to these people

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...27830612.htmll

Eighty-four people are confirmed dead in Victoria's bushfires, surpassing the state's toll in the 1983 Ash Wednesday blazes.

The number of dead may rise even further as blazes continue to ravage the state with more than 200,000 hectares affected as 3000 firefighters struggle to contain seven major firefronts. At least 640 homes have been destroyed.

The largest firefront is in the Kinglake area, where more than 120,000 hectares have been burnt and at least 12 people have been killed. More than 80,000 hectares have been burnt in Gippsland.

Stories from victims recount the horror of the blazes as they ravaged towns surrounding Melbourne and other parts of Victoria.

Friends and family of victims of the Kinglake fire broke down sobbing outside the Whittlesea community activity centre upon learning of the fate of 12 residents who perished in the blaze where six people were killed in one car.

Marie Jones from Canberra, who was visiting a friend at Kinglake yesterday, said a badly-burnt man had arrived at the property where she was staying with his infant daughter, and told her his wife and other child had been killed.

Authorities began the grim search for bodies this morning following Saturday's devastating bushfires. Police expect the death toll to surpass 40.

The CFA expects hundreds of homes have been destroyed. Among the properties destroyed were the Marysville and Kinglake police stations.

Both Marysville and Kinglake townships have been nearly wiped out by the fires, with Marysville residents evacuated in a convoy this morning from the area.

CFA spokesman Paul Swan said firefighters still battling nearby blazes.

The Marysville fire is part of the Murrindindi blaze, which has now merged with the Kilmore fires. About 100,000 hectares is now burning in that area.

Police said they did not know if the age of those killed in the fires but expect some children are among the dead.

Police suspect some fires were deliberately lit yesterday despite warnings that it was the worst day in Victoria's history for fire conditions.

A police spokeswoman said investigators would not be able to establish how many of the fires were arson-related until they could survey the scenes and establish the origin of the blazes.

18 people were treated for severe burns in the Alfred Hospital, eight of them in intensive care, ABC radio reports.

An emotional John Brumby has warned Victorians not to underestimate the danger of fires continuing to burn throughout Victoria, saying that despite cooler temperatures it will be days before the crisis is over.

The Premier twice had to choke back tears as he described the impact of yesterday's "devastating" fires that have so far claimed at least 25 lives.

"We pray there's no more loss of life over the next few days," Mr Brumby said at a press conference at the CFA station in Kilmore, north of Melbourne.

"The Kilmore fire is now impacting on the Glenburn area, in particular Glenburn and settlements to the North and North East along the Melba Highway and Yea River Valley towards Murrindindi,'' the CFA said.

"There is now active fire around the Glenburn area and residents can expect thick smoke and ember attack. All residents in these areas are advised to activate their fire plans immediately and to remain on high alert.''

"Residents cannot rely on fire-fighting resources being able to get to their property. It is very dangerous to leave late with a

The fire is burning in a south easterly direction and is estimated to be more than 20,000 hectares in size.

"The communities of Bruarong, Glen Creek, Dederang, Running Creek, Myrtleford, Ovens, Barwidgee Creek are no longer under direct threat from this fire, but still need to remain alert due to a high level of fire activity still in the area,'' the CFA said.

"These communities may come under new attack tomorrow as weather conditions worsen.''

Stanley, Mudgeegonga, Rosewhite, Kancoona and Kancoona South remain under threat with CFA strike-teams continuing to work on asset protection.

A recent wind change had begun pushing a fire at Bunyip Ridge, north of Drouin, in a north-easterly direction towards the towns of Labertouche, Tarago, Jindivick West, Jindivick North, Neerim South, Neerim East, Neerim North, Whites Corner, Noogee, Tonimbuk and Robin Hood.

Firefighers have managed to control a fire in Coleraine that burnt nearly 1000 hectares.

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Junior Poster

over 100 people confirmed dead now, not far from where i use to live in Melbourne. In the last week they had about 3 days around the 40deg celsius mark and the place became a tinderbox afterwards. In one incident a family of 6 were consumed in the fire after they were trapped by the fire and just huddled together in the fire...waiting, not for help, but rather eternity.

Apparently many homes could have been saved: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/02/1...ut-trees-down/

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

This has now reached 181 people dead and probably many more. It has also claimed the life of a character actor that has appeared in such films as Mad Max.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

What makes me puke is that quite a few fires were started intentionally. I hope that when the police catch the bastard arsonists they set fire to the feckers, see how they like it

Fork 'andles

Terrible.

"That's what i thought you said."

Rookie Poster

Watching Australia Unites last night and all the money they raised makes me proud to be an Aussie. Even the poor are chipping in at least some money, it might not be much but its the thought that counts.

5 Star Poster

you wouldnt catch me liveing in the bush for quids

live with honour