Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Thumbs up F1 Anyone A Fan?

Great race in Belgium today!

Senior Member Professional Poster

Default Re: F1 Anyone A Fan?

I am a fan,…. truly honestly.. I also love the GP… I series link the lot and watch practise and the race back to back

was Hamilton deliberately smashed by Rosburg!!! I think YES! xx

Lightbulb Re: F1 Anyone A Fan?

I'm definitely a Lewis fan!
    That being said, I think Ricciardo has been a "wake-up" call for Nico...

Junior Poster

Hi there i know very little about formula 1, just one question that always intrigued me. Do all the teams have to design and build their own cars from scratch independently of the others? Or could a team, hire racing cars and assemble a group of drivers, technicians etc to compete? If you have to build your own car, how would a small or new team compete with the likes of Ford, Ferrari, Mercedes etc who are of course well established and dont just do formula 1, with greater resources at their disposal?

Gold Poster

Some of the smaller teams use engines from the bigger teams

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    Hi there i know very little about formula 1, just one question that always intrigued me. Do all the teams have to design and build their own cars from scratch independently of the others? Or could a team, hire racing cars and assemble a group of drivers, technicians etc to compete? If you have to build your own car, how would a small or new team compete with the likes of Ford, Ferrari, Mercedes etc who are of course well established and dont just do formula 1, with greater resources at their disposal?

Almost every engine is bought but they have to build a car from scratch and around the rules. You couldn't "hire" a racing car. Everything would need to be assembled.
    Teams without the financial backing find it more difficult but there are still teams like Williams who aren't backed by a large car company and competing better than Ferrari this year. Nevertheless, new teams can find it difficult although Red Bull only started in 2005 and have 4 constructor championships and 4 driver championships, smaller teams are more often competing with the other smaller teams for finishing position and hoping to grab a point.

Arrow Re: F1 Anyone A Fan?

To add on to what others have stated.
    The main difference between F1 and US style racing is that the Constructor's Championship is arguably more important than the Driver's Champion ship because that is a large part of earnings are received.

With rules getting more and more restrictive each years, the innovation of F1 IMHO is rapidly disappearing. If the ruling parties don't watch it with the rules, it could turn into just another spec (Indy/NASCAR) series.

Can't wait for Austin and to see where Lewis ends up.

Lightbulb Re: F1 Anyone A Fan?

-Great to see Lewis get his 2nd Championship! (Though arguably, it should be his 3rd).

-Looks like SeBas ran away from his competition to McLaren (where Button shouldn't be a threat to his psyche)

"I am, a SIGMA Male...