Page 80 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3070757677787980818283848590 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Professional Poster beaufont's Avatar

Default Re: Bloody Football!

Liverpool win tomorrow & the title has to be theirs for me, even if Chelsea manage to beat them next week. Sunderland have pulled a couple of great results out of the bag this week which help their fight against relegation & helps Liverpool's cause.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Terrific game to watch. Both sides should have had a penalty. However, Henderson will be a loss, probably for three games. He's been a revelation in the more forward role this season. Sturridge's injury is just as worrying. There's simply no-one to replace him. The thinness of the squad could still see them lose it.

But come on, Liverpool. Win it for the 96.
    Don't go overboard yet fellas. Remember that there's no Henderson and no Sturridge. Start with Coutinho, or put him in the hole behind Suarez, but it won't be easy, as Norwich will simply park the bus. 1 - 0 on an iffy penalty will do nicely.

Meanwhile, let's see if Man C are actually imploding by watching what happens when they play West Brom on Monday. Stumbles by the other contenders could still be enough to bring the title back to its spiritual home.

Fingers crossed.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Stumbles by the other contenders could still be enough to bring the title back to its spiritual home.
    Fingers crossed.
    Football has a 'spiritual home'?? I have read some pious rubbish online over the years, and that is equal to much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I have read some pious rubbish online over the years, and that is equal to much of it.
    Come on Stavvy, let us enjoy it, now we're back.

Well it's looking good at the top,i'd say if we beat Chelsea next week,it's as good as ours.

See our blue cousins from across the park wiped Mr Moyes eye this afternoon,love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1544541_569985896402828_1621042570_n.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	712588  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Football has a 'spiritual home'?? I have read some pious rubbish online over the years, and that is equal to much of it.
    Take that pompous finger out of your arse just the once, Stavros, and enjoy the ride.

There's a romance about Liverpool's race for the title and you'd have to be pretty stony to be wholly impervious to it.

Romance there may be, but to call Anfield football's 'spiritual home' is something you ought to think about. Football does not have a 'spiritual home'. When I was growing up Liverpool were an average team and there was nothing special about them or their ground. If Liverpool win the title, and this is not guaranteed, then we can hand out congratulations.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

News reports today say Moyes will be gone within 24Hrs.
    We''ll see on that one,probably end up at somewhere like Torquay,and that will only be if he's lucky.Moyes moved because he wrongly thought he was guaranteed success.
    Sorry mate you've got to work for it.
    But thanks for doing such a shit job.

The reports were true, and he is gone. I wonder if they could not wait for the end of the season in order to send a message to the 'financial community'?
    The Telegraph has covered this quite well, pointing out that Moyes cleared out Ferguson's back-room staff losing the dressing room in the process, coupled with his lack of charisma as a manager; that he made a mess of the summer transfer options, and tactically got it wrong:
    A group of players accustomed to sharp sessions with the ball under Ferguson were now being asked to improve their fitness in much more physically demanding training routines, where lengthy, and often tedious, sessions practising shape and defensive drills replaced the possession work favoured by Ferguson.
    Yet rather than produce a fitter team, one which mirrored the one Moyes produced at Everton, United appeared lethargic and increasingly incapable of passing the ball, as borne out by their abject performance at Goodison Park on Sunday.
    Tactically, Moyes also left players bewildered.
    Midfielders were told not to get ahead of the ball, a move which reduced their goal output and left the forwards isolated and starved of possession up front.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Ferguson.html

As an aside Arsene Wenger has been criticised for training techniques that set intense fitness and 'hard work' as soon as the players return from their summer holidays -this has been alleged to be the cause of injuries early on in the season (Walcott, Ramsay and Wilshere being obvious casualties), and tiredness. I think I read somewhere Brendan Rodgers takes a difference approach which is more relaxed and maintains a regular regime throughout the season.

I don't know if Giggs or anyone else can turn United around in the next year, Ferguson left an ageing squad and one in need of a creative midfielder, and so on. Ferguson's links with the Moyes family go back to the 'legendary' Drumchapel Amateur Football Club, and I think that Scottish connection and Ferguson's loyalty to the Moyes family might have played a strong part in his decision, plus the absence of other managers willing to take on the job, though how far United went in offering the job to other people is not clear.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-The-Drum.html

United may break its connections to Scotland now -even though it has provided the club with its most successful managers; but let's not go there right now...

Ferguson's links with the Moyes family go back to the 'legendary' Drumchapel Amateur Football Club[/URL]
    Not quite sure why you chose to put quotes around "legendary", Stavros.

Drumchapel is notoriously one of the most deprived parts of the city, yet another misbegotten attempt by Glasgow to provide a better environment for its citizens following the slum clearance programmes of the 50s and 60s. Essentially a wasteland of flats without services and amenities, it duly fell prey to the usual problems of violence, crime and drugs.

What the club provided was an escape, with discipline and fun. I should know. Although I came from an altogether more prosperous part of the city, I was proud to be chosen to play for them in my youth for a couple of seasons until I ultimately chose rugby instead. And the impressive roll call of players for the big two in the city, for major clubs south of the border and of course for Scotland was, and remains, very impressive.

Just for once the term "legendary" is not hyperbole.

Oh, and, useless fact, Moyes and I went to the same school, as did Katherine Grainger the Olympic rower and Alex Kapranos, leader of the band Franz Ferdinand.

I never know how far to trust the Mail, and I wasn't sure how well known the place might be, so I accept your criticism. You have had an interesting life and passed through some nodal points of modern Scottish life, perhaps that is one reason you have become a troubador. It also seems to confirm a belief that Scots often achieve more for themselves when they leave the country of their birth, just as I wonder if the long-established connection between Scotland and Manchester United -indeed, English football has now come to an end.