Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I play my computer. Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more people around the boards who sample or compose electronica.

Yeah, I'll agree that homebrew electronica has a really bad reputation. Most of the people who "compose" simply download overused and low quality techno loops off the net and arrange them in Fruity Loops. Hell, even mentioning Fruity Loops gets me laughed at in most circles.

Well, I don't use loops and I rarely use wav samples. I compose note-for-note, and I think I have a fairly interesting thing going.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=723367

Check out some of my stuff if you have a minute. I like feedback, even if it is negative.

So, to answer the question directly, I guess I play keyboards, even though I can't read music. lol.

Junior Poster

does "guitar Hero" count?...

God save me from stupid people...

Quote Originally Posted by Caleigh
    I play guitar, bass, keys and banjo as far as traditional
    instruments go. I studied electroacoustic composition
    for 2 years right after H.S. in the vein of Varese, Schaeffer,
    Boulez and Stockhausen so since they've been around
    I've always been into sampling in it's less "musical"
    usages even though I also like to compose stuff with
    a beat. Some samples of sketches.

www.soundclick.com/something_human

David, you have a beautiful voice, what's your range?
    I thought I'd be brave enough to offer a little constructive criticism. It's not my goal to insult, but I usually do have a problem with being way too blunt. I'm sure you could listen to my works and point out a few problems too, so try to keep an open mind here, please. If you want to return the favor with my stuff, please do. I hardly ever get input on it.

Anyway, I took a listen to Nopi@k, neon, and matina and noticed a few things. Many of the samples you used could be considered rather brazen on their own, and even well into each track, your samples didn't mix very well. Now, I know there could be good reason for it. You could be one of those "impressionistic experimental electronica" types. If that's the case, I guess I'm flat out baffled and biased against the genre, so just blow all this off.

The only other thing I notice is that your tracks seem to become a little repetitive. Now, I can't talk too much shit here, because some of my tracks go on and on for 2 minutes before I introduce anything new, and perhaps again, I may be biased here. If you listen to a few of my titles, you'll notice I'd rather opt for a 20 second song than drag things out. I guess it's just matter of preference. I got into the beat the first quarter of the way through all three of your tracks. I mean, I was really digging them at first, but half way through, I felt like I'd heard the whole thing; fast forwarded a bit, then moved on.

Anyway, I hope you don't think any of that was too harsh. I just hope you don't take the "I'm FUCKING EDUCATED, SO SHUT UP!" approach. Please?

Quote Originally Posted by the commander
    http://www.myspace.com/davidnicholas23

I'm a vocalist and lyricist. DC area. I'm looking for other musicians in the area. If you're interested, pm me.

I anyone likes my music, let me know. It's always nice to know when someone appreciates my songs.

The Commander
    DIA
    Wow... I like. Very impressive, actually. Your style reminds me of a old-time deep south gospel sound mixed with folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikka

awwww thanks

people can check out my band in myspace:

www.myspace.com/edonisedonis
    Your stuff reminds me of a cross between mid-1990's chick-band alternative/grunge and Japanese pop-rock. That "Thanx Honey" was cute. Like... cute thrown into overdrive. Seriously, I wanted to go on a cheek-pinching binge. lol. Good stuff, though.

Bizzump, dizzamn it!

Professional Poster

Drums 10 years
    Piano 20 years
    Trumpet 3
    Bass (basic blues)

Piano really is the fundamental to learning music...if you know piano you learn rhythm, scales, chords and train you ear. The rest just fell into place. I also built my own recording studio where my band plays our own stuff and Grunge covers.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

i taught myself piano...so i'm pretty bad. i bang out blues and jazz chords with my left hand and stumble over melodies with my right while yodeling. i use charts from Sher's New Real Book series. i play only for my cats who prefer to listen from a further room.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    i taught myself piano...so i'm pretty bad. i bang out blues and jazz chords with my left hand and stumble over melodies with my right while yodeling. i use charts from Sher's New Real Book series. i play only for my cats who prefer to listen from a further room.
    I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. lol.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

no...not sarcastic...just telling it like it is. okay...i don't really yodel...the neighbors only misrepresent it that way.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.