Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Street Food

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Default Re: Street Food

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    And there are scores of enforcement personnel checking up on these guys, issuing thousands of violation fines every day.
    That really doesn't fill me with confidence!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

I'm a little slow on the bandwagon and gotta get hip to the food trucks out here. Not your daddy's Roach Coach anymore.

Junior Poster

Those NYC hot dogs used to taste real good because of the mixture of food handling, money handling and personal grooming simultaneously. Now with all these FDA regulations they don't taste as good.

They now have the chicken and or lamb rice combo or gyro trucks usurping all other trucks in Gotham. I don't know what the hell they are putting in those meals but damn it's good. Perhaps more of the same of the old school methods above mentioned. Lol.

I try to eat healthier now and stay away from the truck, fast food and other type restaurants and cook my own versions of these delectables from recipes from YouTube - with some success!

There is in some remote places (like the wall street area where I used to work) that you may still be able to find the Trinidad roti truck. Awesome food!

Always buy the franks that are grilled to stave off most bacteria of an outdoor kitchen, but know none are safe. Avoid the boiled hot dog stands! I never seen one vendor use a restroom in hot dog stands during my stint in working in manhattan....hence, my conclusion that the reason of NYC hot dog goodness was a dirty little secret that the vendors used some type of tubing to pee in the hot dog water rather than lose a sale. Totally unfounded conclusion of course, but they were puttin something in that damn water that was addictive!

I like Andre Zimmermans treks to street food vendors from around the world, and hope to make a hajj of my own upon some of his recommendations and those of renowned traveler Anthony Bourdain. Their respective food shows: Bizzare Foods (Zimmerman) and No Reservations (Bourdain).

Food vending is an culinary entrepeneuer's road to wealth! Bon appetit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    That really doesn't fill me with confidence!
    the violations are mostly non food related. things like expired permit fees and parking fines

Senior Member Junior Poster Amy Gray's Avatar

Up in northern Maryland we have Amish street food. They make the best god damn pretzels I've ever had!

Quote Originally Posted by starkem View Post
    They now have the chicken and or lamb rice combo or gyro trucks usurping all other trucks in Gotham. I don't know what the hell they are putting in those meals but damn it's good. Perhaps more of the same of the old school methods above mentioned. Lol.
    Yeah...I love some of those...there'sone on Queens Blvd.I go to quite often.

I also like the Mexican Taco trucks on Roosevelt ave...but the leering drunks that insist on eating their food right there are quite annoying (also...some of the cooks are really Equadorian...not Mexican....so I've been told. Whatever).

Junior Poster

Thumbs up Re: Street Food

I must get down there for some molting ...when those crabs shed their shells = soft shell crab. I can eat them until I am sick. So much for my vegetarianism...

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    Yeah...I love some of those...there'sone on Queens Blvd.I go to quite often.

I also like the Mexican Taco trucks on Roosevelt ave...but the leering drunks that insist on eating their food right there are quite annoying (also...some of the cooks are really Equadorian...not Mexican....so I've been told. Whatever).

You can't tell if that's white sauce on their mouth or foam! LOL They have one of these trucks in Brooklyn too, but I am circumspect of food trucks in the outer boroughs...not enough food inspectors to go around. I do love the food street fairs in manhattan in the summer where vendors from all around come to show off their talent. The Italian vendors have some of the best presentations, but I am averse to the pork. Shame! It looks and smells awesome!

Street food from Seoul in South Korea.

Deep fried silkworms.

Unforgettable.

But not in a good way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silkworm001.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	588206  

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Street food from Seoul in South Korea.

Deep fried silkworms.

Unforgettable.

But not in a good way.
    Dammit!..no,no,no ,no,no,no,no,no,nooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

...on the other hand, I can probably get my brother to eat those. He's one of those guys.....lol