Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Re: Immigration Reform - exclusive Order

Quote Originally Posted by martin48 View Post
    Remind me... did the Emancipation Proclamation apply to the federal territories? Or states still in the union? Or parts of southern states under union control?

Nope! It applied only to those states in rebellion.

Did you forget that Lincoln didn't think he had the authority to simply free slaves in all of the several states... so pushed for what became the 13th amendment?

Shame you don't quite have your facts straight with regards to what happened then or now.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

You're saying a few temporary measures to ease the suffering of tax paying undocumented workers and their children (until Congress finally gets it together to pass a bill) is way more radical than the Emancipation Proclamation? If it weren't for boehner's foot-dragging insistance on instituting the Hastard Rule this'd be done already.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

The Hastert Rule is of course, the informal declaration that nothing in Congress shall be brought to a vote unless there are enough Republican votes to pass it without any help from the Democrats. The rule essentially declares that the Democrats shall have no votes in Congress, that the Repuplican Party shall Go It Alone. It's ironic now to hear the Republicans complaining that "the President's going it alone."

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Shame on me! Sorry it's your fucked up country and not mine

Quote Originally Posted by bobvela View Post
    Remind me... did the Emancipation Proclamation apply to the federal territories? Or states still in the union? Or parts of southern states under union control?

Nope! It applied only to those states in rebellion.

Did you forget that Lincoln didn't think he had the authority to simply free slaves in all of the several states... so pushed for what became the 13th amendment?

Shame you don't quite have your facts straight with regards to what happened then or now.

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Quote Originally Posted by martin48 View Post
    Shame on me! Sorry it's your fucked up country and not mine
    Damn, didn't know it was his...Which fucked up country do you own?

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I might be wrong but I believe that Bobvela was hinting at the controversy over Lincoln's presidency which has been reviewed in these terms:

"The godfather of despotism": the charge has haunted Abraham Lincoln from the advent of the Civil War to the wake of his bicentennial. From partisans during the war to early twentieth century historians to post-World War II political scientists fearing an "imperial presidency" to the latest libertarian Lincoln-hater, Lincoln has been vilified as someone who destroyed the Constitution in order to save the Union. The bill of particulars is lengthy and grave: he suspended habeas corpus and jailed opponents, flouted a court order by the Chief Justice of the United States, ordered troops raised and materiel purchased, blockaded Southern ports, emancipated slaves after denying the power to do so-all without prior Congressional authorization. Professor Clinton Rossiter of Columbia put the case starkly in 1948: "dictatorship played a decisive role in the North's successful effort to maintain the Union by force of arms .... Lincoln's amazing disregard for the words of the Constitution was considered by nobody as legal”.

The full 16-page study of this controversy by Dennis Hutchinson (Chicago Law School) can be found here:
    http://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/c...urnal_articles

Member Rookie Poster

Well, it's not legal to enter another country without permission and then surreptitiously set up residency there.

So, if I was in charge the first thing I would do is reverse Obama's executive order. Then I would deport all illegal aliens. All 11 million or whatever it is. Then I would seal the border with orders to shoot on sight those trying to cross illegally. Then I would impeach Obama. Then I would have Obama arrested and thrown in jail for being a traitor.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yuengling View Post
    Well, it's not legal to enter another country without permission and then surreptitiously set up residency there.

So, if I was in charge the first thing I would do is reverse Obama's executive order. Then I would deport all illegal aliens. All 11 million or whatever it is. Then I would seal the border with orders to shoot on sight those trying to cross illegally. Then I would impeach Obama. Then I would have Obama arrested and thrown in jail for being a traitor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	native-cartoon.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	772160  

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Talking Re: Immigration Reform - exclusive Order

I got a few for you

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st-illegal-immigrants.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	772193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st_illegal_aliens_round_stickers-r021167ff8fc24e3b95a87f0a81cee6aa_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	772194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huge_columbus_americas_1st_illegal_immigrant_tshirt-rb54d1b7f4a484859b76eb335c937260c_804gs_324.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	772195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	immigration-policy.gif 
Views:	87 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	772196  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illegal-immigrants.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	772197  

Member Rookie Poster

Those are dumb cartoons! There weren't any immigration laws back then. No international laws, etc. People all over the world didn't know anything other than exploration at will. Unlike today when there ARE immigration laws that MUST be followed no matter what!

But I guess they make good cartoons.

1 out of 3 members liked this post.