Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: GLASTONBURY 2013! Praying for sunshine

I think that, for a long time, the Stones have been going through the motions. I actually think they put a lot more gusto into this show than they've done for a long time. True it was a parade of hits. No surprises in the part the BBC was allowed to show. Reportedly a new song called "Glastonbury Girl" was performed in the earlier half of the show. They are a sort of ironic post-modernist comment on their former selves these days. Hence jagger's comment about "finally being invited to play" when we all know Michael Eavis has tried for a decade to persuade them to come. Yes jagger's voice isn't up to his heyday and Keef looks like the lovechild of a scarecrow and a baboon, but they still managed - for me - to seem on the money. How much this judgement was clouded by red wine and the good cheer of the earlier evening and by nostalgia I can't judge.

And incidentally the Bootleg Beatles, playing nearby in the same slot, gathered less than 50 spectators.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Bootleg Beatles??? As if the original wasn't bad enough? We can at least be grateful Sandie Shaw has retired. But I believe Bruce Forsyth is appearing too this year?

Well you see Stavros, that remark about The Beatles demonstrates your deep and controversial prejudice against one of the most popular music groups of the past sixty years. I suspect few on this forum would dismiss them so scathingly. I know you also hold two other seminal and popular artists, Elvis Presley and David Bowie in such similar contempt. It surprises me that might ever have considered the Rolling Stones worthy of your attention. Of course we are all entitled to our own opinions and tastes.

Alcohol , a big fire , and mud. Sounds like the perfect party for an Appalachian Mud Squid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squidbillies7.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	596195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squidbillys early-cuyler-hats-squidbillies-14.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	596196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squidbillies6.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	596197  

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Well you see Stavros, that remark about The Beatles demonstrates your deep and controversial prejudice against one of the most popular music groups of the past sixty years. I suspect few on this forum would dismiss them so scathingly. I know you also hold two other seminal and popular artists, Elvis Presley and David Bowie in such similar contempt. It surprises me that might ever have considered the Rolling Stones worthy of your attention. Of course we are all entitled to our own opinions and tastes.
    Well I listened to it all at the time, but could never take it seriously as pop music over time becomes irrelevant except as nostalgia for those who want to remember being a teenager. I do understand the historical context and the impact that those seminal performers like Elvis and the Beatles had on popular music, but that doesn't elevate it beyond what popular music is, something contemporary that thrives 'in the moment' and then dies. We know that JS Bach did not expect his music to survive his own lifetime, and anyway I am prejudiced in my tastes, but I don't see the durability in pop music, and seeing it still being played by men in their 70s seems to underline the point. However, the little I have seen on tv of Glastonbury (and other festivals) does at least confirm that the Stones could write and perform songs, whereas these days pop music seems to consist of young people in caps making erratic gestures with their hands while shouting something unintelligible into a microphone, with no attempt to be musical; on which basis perhaps the trip down memory lane was indeed the high point of the festival.

Well I do know and understand your attitude. There is indeed music which i think we'd both agree is elevating - to the mind and that indefinable thing labelled as the spirit. In your case i perceive Wagner's work as being a pinnacle (though not exclusively his work). For me it is the great masses and oratorios by Mozart and Bach. But much more too.

That being said there is now a broadly separate category into which popular music fits. And again I don't, generally, think we have songwriters today who have the cleverness of a Cole porter or the Gershwins. But I do think, for instance, Bob Dylan is an artist of some very considerable stature who has continue to grow throughout his career. Regarding the Stones - yes for thee and me - it IS a trip down memory lane. (Though clearly hugely popular at the event across age groups - hence my initial comments) As for the other music at the festival - a lot is not for later generations that contemporary youth. But then i really haven't seen any of it.

And then there is jazz.

Bob Dylan to me is the finest song writer of his generation, but my impression is that he is not much of a performer -I never saw his 1966 gigs in the UK or any thereafter, but some other posters here have not had good words to say about them, and I think he does it solely for the money? I also don't think he has grown in his career, like a lot of writers and performers, his reputation is based on the years of his youth not his maturity. Jazz is dead. I know that has been said many times, but after Miles and Coltrane it went into an impasse of free expression that had no direction, and most of the players since the 70s have been repeating what was done before. I recently bought Miles in the Sky, which I hadn't heard for something like 30 years, and though good, it is tepid compared to other music I listen to. Just doesn't excite me as it once did.

Last edited by Stavros; 06-30-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Senior Member Professional Poster

'WELL' Having been to Glastonbury many times. I last went 8 years ago and prior to that I attended every year since the age of 13 (Not admitting how many that would be! please continue to believe that Bella is in her 20's, young pert and beautiful lol) I have never seen as many people swarm to watch one acts performance as I witnessed with the Stones!

Usually when a head line act is on, there is someone, somewhere else that manbe 5/6 thousand people want to see more.. as an example Robbie Williams one year was headlining at the same time that Fat Boy slim was doing a set! Although Robbie was packed, the streets (We call them streets) where lined thick with people trying to get a look, fat Boys tent was busting at the seems!

Where as the Stones, every ticket holder and their monkey were there fighting their way through the crowds, even traders closed up to get in on it!

I agree that their years were evident however THEY WERE AMAZING! The atmosphere was unbelievable! They performed many songs, only a few were shown on the TV, I have just watched catch up to refresh my brain for this review, you only heard 4 songs! they performed many more!
    I agree that they are old but I strongly disagree that they should give up and shy away with shame! It was an extremely emotional experience for me!
    I really enjoyed them, there, living the performance Mick's struggles were non existent!
    Blimey they are pensioners now! someone please take your hat off to them that they have put on this tour which will more than likely be their last!

What I loved was when Mick said 'If this is your first time ever seeing a band before, please come again won't you!'.... He is old school, still relies on fax and post! Doesn't have a mobile phone, hates the new and powerful internet download system! If he could bring back vinyl he would!

8 years ago I was in a bar in Richmond, a live act was on... I had NO interest, wasn't my thing!.
    Mick came in on his own, went to the bar, ordered a drink, made his way to the front, shook the singers hand, took off his coat and stood and watched!
    I almost stopped breathing! half an hour later he was invited to the stage, he went and was introduced as the singers brother! he sung a song! Life! I was foaming at the mouth at this stage!... Trust me... MICK JAGGER still has it!

Re the Bootleg Beatles, they are very good, saw them at Hatch End theatre maybe 10 years ago..

Re Mr Dylan, another great!
    I have an old head on my shoulders when it comes to music... I love Mowntown, Frank Zapper, The Beatles, Bowie, Rolling Stones, Queen, Led Zepplin, so many but also have an appreciation for modern music such as Cold Play, hey I even love House and Garage!

My verdict of the Stones was AMAZING!!

81k.... I bet you sell wellies and poncho's! and if you are then may I take the opportinity of calling you a thieving bugger! lol (joke!)

Senior Member Professional Poster

PS.. The Burning Man is meant to be a wonderful festival, it is in Nevada in the Black Rock desert... attracts a very mature crowd...
    http://www.burningman.com/

another is the Secret garden Party... beautiful, friendly people
    http://www.secretgardenparty.com/#!/...on/theme-2013/

x

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mick-Jagger-yurt-2008503.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	596465

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Bob Dylan to me is the finest song writer of his generation, but my impression is that he is not much of a performer -I never saw his 1966 gigs in the UK or any thereafter, but some other posters here have not had good words to say about them, and I think he does it solely for the money? I also don't think he has grown in his career, like a lot of writers and performers, his reputation is based on the years of his youth not his maturity. Jazz is dead. I know that has been said many times, but after Miles and Coltrane it went into an impasse of free expression that had no direction, and most of the players since the 70s have been repeating what was done before. I recently bought Miles in the Sky, which I hadn't heard for something like 30 years, and though good, it is tepid compared to other music I listen to. Just doesn't excite me as it once did.
    For sure, Stavros. Not much of anything compares in pop music to the innovative genius of Miles Davis. From Be-bop to cool, from cool to a whole new type of standard (in the mid 50's), from these exceptional quintets with Coltrane to modal jazz, from modal jazz to the very invention of Jazz fusion, from that to some kind of abstract jazz: nothing like Miles Davis I can think of; but you're choosing the greatest, here, maybe.
    But Dylan has also evolved. It's just that it's so old! WE are old, I guess, my friend... But remember, Stavros, how he went from a country rock type of style, and even before that, a type of Woody Guthrie sloppy guitar music, to later on some good, more arranged music, and engaged, like for instance the song (and record that went with it -failing memory) on Hurriacan Carter. Then back to country style but with a very lyrical streak, like this record (OK, real bad memory) that made the soundtrack of the Peckinpaw film, Pat Garret and Billy the Kid. Then this christian phase with choruses. But all of this extends on years and years and years. I don't know: maybe I'm mentally making it nicer or richer than it was...

0 out of 1 members liked this post.