Page 344 of 458 FirstFirst ... 244294334339340341342343344345346347348349354394444 ... LastLast
Results 3,431 to 3,440 of 4579
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

True Detective (2014)
    Although this is a tv series, I bought the box set and watched it as two movies spread over two days.
    I did not know much the show before watching it, and at least one can say that these days so much money is spent making these programmes/films that they recruit fine actors (down to the smaller roles), have high production values, and take on challenging themes.
    However, by the time we got to the last three or four episodes I was weary of the main storyline which I felt was not thought through. There is an attempt to depict Rusty Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) as a thinker, and Marty Hart (Woody Harelson) as a man of action, not very original, and the use of interviews and flashbacks to events that happened 12 years previously creates some interest and tension. It should also be said that the theme of underage sex is very much part of contemporary issues, particularly in the UK where senior politicians, dead or alive (Cyril Smith, Viscount Tonypandy, and Lord Jenner) have been accused of exploiting their positions of power to abuse children in care.
    Here, the problem arises that the key suspect practises a Louisiana version of Voodoo or more properly, Voudon, and that the abduction and sexual abuse of minors is not only integrated into Voudon rituals, but that the Detectives appear to be uncovering a paedophile ring that includes Louisiana politicians and Church leaders. It falls down for me because the key suspect is one of those rural Louisiana yokels whose way of life is so alien to most Americans they may as well be aliens. We have seen this inbred, semi-literate brood in films before, from Deliverance to MUD, and their homes which are crammed from floor to ceiling with 'stuff', their yards scattered with broken down pieces of machinery and other unidentifiable objects, who have ferocious dogs, and seem to greet every stranger by pointing a double-barrelled shotgun at them. They usually live in the middle of a forest miles from a road. The women are obese, sexually uncontrollable and evidently incapable of baking a cherry pie or a loaf of bread. How these sort of people can be associated with leading politicians is beyond me, I never saw the connection, not least because Voudon if it has a connection it is with the Catholic Church whereas the Christians in this film seem to be tent-based revivalists or fundamentalists who would not want to associate with either Voudon or Catholics.
    So, incoherent, and a series or film which seems to me to be liberal America depicting that 'other America' as not just weird, but very dangerous, even though most sexual abuse takes place in the home, and by men (for the most part) who look normal and have normal jobs. This box set is on its way to the charity shop, and I won't bother with Series Two.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Stavros; 07-24-2014 at 10:24 PM.

I quite enjoyed it myself.

A woman is just a woman but a shemale is a good smoke!

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

You got further than I did Stavros.

I saw "Dr No" a few days ago - nearly 50 years old but I have never seen it before. It established all the cliches which were played out through every subsequent Bond film.

Senior Member Junior Poster Toadily's Avatar

Just finish watching True Romance.

You can watch it online for free
    http://popcornered.com/films?films=332

A baseball flick called: Sugar. It's quite good. A touching story, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00586959-370137_500.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	735776  

Silver Poster

i can't believe how many versions of la femme nikita luc besson has managed to get away, but it's now basically a case of can he make a film that isn't similar to that one..

well, this one ISN'T it. it's basically la femme nikita all over again, except this time she's using (wait for it.....) 100% of her brain. yes, that's right folks. la femme nikita is the einstein of killing. but she needs guns, just like the other versions of herself (huh?) unfortunately, luc besson isn't the einstein of screenwriting, which presents a flaw in his protagonist- who btw does a better job gallivanting around the scottish highland putting random dudes in black sludge to get eaten up and attempting to understand humanity whilst avoiding her alien chaperone

not this

Last edited by bluesoul; 07-25-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Under the Skin featuring more Scarlett Johannson, hmm..I would say this movie is for late at night with a bit of herb, Scarlett plays an alien seducing guys in Scotland. I don't want to give away any more....?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	under-the-skin-UTS_Still_2_hi-res_rgb.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	736107  

World Class Asshole

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Red Dawn (The Remake).
    Like the original, a bit shite really...But enjoyable shite!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

She RoXXX! Professional Poster LilyRox's Avatar

It's Pat

Pat is a transgender man or woman that through out the entire movie it asks the question "What is Pat?". Pat lives with Chris who is also transgender and meant to be a question mark gender. I consider myself pretty easy going on rating movies. This movie got horrible reviews by other people, but I actually liked it to some degree.

The movie is repetitive and if you're thinking the movie is going to go anywhere else than making fun of Pat's unknown gender you're wrong. I pretty much knew this from the start though and I enjoyed the continuing jokes. A couple things I really liked about this movie is that Pat's gender is never revealed. This is a good thing because if you were to find out Pat's gender Pat wouldn't be Pat. I also liked that this movie is fairly short. The movie is about a hour and a half. Most movies over a hour and a half I get very bored.

Favorite movie quote:

Chris: You know Pat maybe you should find a job.
    Pat: I'm exhausted! I had 23 jobs this year, how many did YOU have?
    Chris: Just one.

6/10

The Fault In Our Stars

Dying from terminal cancer, Hazel Grace finds true love that sees her for herself and not her disease. This was a good movie about life and death. Not going to go much into this movie as the plot wasn't super dynamic and I didn't feel I really learned anything new philosophically (or at least not as much as I expected to), but it was a good movie. I still highly recommend it, especially if you haven't cried in a while.

Favorite movie quote:

"There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."

8/10

"Nanking"
    Nanking (2007) - IMDb

...watched this on Netflicks.
    A retelling of this brutal period during the war, in part, using readings from well known actors to represent the viewpoints of the expatriates that were there at the time, and present day interviews of Chinese survivors and Japanese soldiers.
    warning...a bit graphic at times, but necessarily so ( 200,000 people massacred and tens of thousands of young girls and women raped )

It's one of the truly awful times in human history - the atrocities committed by the Japanese soldiers in Nanking were truly heinous...but this film also shows, how many were saved by the heroic acts of individuals who showed remarkable strength of spirit in the face of evil.
    Very much recommended.