Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Silver Poster

Default Re: Nobel Peace Prize

In life some great victories don't come from parading out your strengths, they come from struggling to find your greatest weaknesses and correcting them. I think this was DEFINITELY the reasoning in Obama's case and I think it was even a little embarrassing for him that he got the prize for NOT being George W Bush. ha ha ha ha ha
    The Nobel Peace prize has all kinds of categories for health, science, etc, my Grandfather sold Dynamite at DuPont, he made a lot of cash but died young.
    Since the Nobel prize doesn't come from taxes or anything like that, hey, they can give their award to anybody they want. Those are the rules.

I'm waiting for the World Class Asshole category to open up, I'm thinkin' I'm a shoe in. I have a couple brass dog sculptures on my mantle from my Grandad's 1930s dynamite dough, a Nobel prize would look good beside them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7732029_orig.gif 
Views:	70 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	759665  

World Class Asshole

The Nobel Foundation is constrained by Alfred Nobel's will - they can not change the classes of award - so no chance for you to get one for The World's Greatest Living Arsehole. Pity!

Perhaps your grandfather should have read a premature copy of his obituary as Nobel did.

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    In life some great victories don't come from parading out your strengths, they come from struggling to find your greatest weaknesses and correcting them. I think this was DEFINITELY the reasoning in Obama's case and I think it was even a little embarrassing for him that he got the prize for NOT being George W Bush. ha ha ha ha ha
    The Nobel Peace prize has all kinds of categories for health, science, etc, my Grandfather sold Dynamite at DuPont, he made a lot of cash but died young.
    Since the Nobel prize doesn't come from taxes or anything like that, hey, they can give their award to anybody they want. Those are the rules.

I'm waiting for the World Class Asshole category to open up, I'm thinkin' I'm a shoe in. I have a couple brass dog sculptures on my mantle from my Grandad's 1930s dynamite dough, a Nobel prize would look good beside them.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Quote Originally Posted by martin48 View Post
    The Nobel Foundation is constrained by Alfred Nobel's will - they can not change the classes of award - so no chance for you to get one for The World's Greatest Living Arsehole. Pity!

Perhaps your grandfather should have read a premature copy of his obituary as Nobel did.
    That is unless a bank (or perhaps a rich asshole) is willing to also donate to the cause ...as was done with the prize for economic science...with some clever wording so that the category can somehow be voted upon using the same criteria as the other prizes.

...doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possibility.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

An example of an outstanding person who did something for humanity came in this last week when the Czech government gave Sir Nicholas Winton a prize of some sort. Winton organised the Czech Kindertransport which brought 669 children to the UK where they were fostered with willing families (not all of them Jewish), and included the (much under-rated) film director Karel Reisz. The prize doesn't matter, the man's achievement is deeply humbling, not least because after the War he didn't have anything to say about it and it was only in 1988 that his wife discovered a scrapbook with details of the Kindertransport. He is still alive at 105, another achievement! Maybe they should have a prize for inspiration.

Nicholas Winton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia