Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Wayne

26 27.08%
  • Clint Eastwood

70 72.92%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Default Re: John Wayne vs Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood is cool, but I'd hate to see what this country would be like without John Wayne. I mean the guy fought in almost all of America's wars.

Just because I'm telling you this story doesn't mean that I'm alive at the end of it.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Well of course Clint Eastwood is gonna win on a damn HOMO SITE!!!!!Clint Eastwood could not have existed in the 1930s, he most certainly could not have carried a film. You had Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, and Errol Flynn. Now you've got Brad Pitt, Will Smith and Johnny Depp! Who's the better actress, Bette Davis or Julia Roberts? In the Depression, movies were more important. They didn't have cable TV back then. No special effects. Walt Disney.

Of course, I really liked Clint in Eiger Sanction, and Where Eagles Dare.

World Class Asshole

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Django is the best-known I think of this list, although I haven't seen any -clearly Dino your knowledge of film is in some genres greater than most! I looked up The Great Silence to find Klaus Kinski character is called Loco!

Years ago I knew someone who was obsessed with martial arts films and rated The Fate of Lee Khan as one of the greatest ever made, although I don't believe it is available in any form (not in the UK anyway).
    Stavros, please see The Great Silence so we can discuss it. I have an interesting story about the film's premiere too.

Senior Member Junior Poster ValerieNelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    Richard Harris was a great bullshit artist. Morgan Freeman was also excellent again playing Eastwood's friend. Wonder what they talked about while the camera wasn't rolling.
    Hrmmm maybe about which was their favorite John Wayne movie was?

XoXo
    Valerie

John Wayne for westerns and Clint Eastwood for other parts, although great in westerns you cannot beat the Duke

6'8" 180 lb oral top

Actually, depending upon one's personal definition of a "Western"...they are not always just American. Watch the Australian film "The Proposition"...it's a good "western".

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I saw The Proposition and loathed it. As for it being a western -no. Again, I think most westerns are about private property, greed, and issues of power -lawman -vs-outlaw, but in essence they are all about the growth of capitalism and free markets in the US, which is why the issues of slavery and the treatment of your first nations are fundamental to a good western -including those set in the Civil War. The Dollars films work for me because the motivation is greed, but also because the men whose greed seems limitless partly enjoy hunting other men, but also because they seem incapable or unwilling to settle down, get married, have a family, a homestead. I think John Wayne is often either a husband or a widower or someone whose relationships have failed, whereas Eastwood seems to be the free spirit, more anarchic--?

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

I saw The Proposition and loathed it. As for it being a western -no. Again, I think most westerns are about private property, greed, and issues of power -lawman -vs-outlaw, but in essence they are all about the growth of capitalism and free markets in the US, which is why the issues of slavery and the treatment of your first nations are fundamental to a good western.
    I loved "The Proposition", thought it had a definite western feel and theme to it.

And while we're on about Australian westerns, i think "Quigley Down Under", deserves a mention.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

I saw The Proposition and loathed it. As for it being a western -no. Again, I think most westerns are about private property, greed, and issues of power -lawman -vs-outlaw, but in essence they are all about the growth of capitalism and free markets in the US, which is why the issues of slavery and the treatment of your first nations are fundamental to a good western -including those set in the Civil War. The Dollars films work for me because the motivation is greed, but also because the men whose greed seems limitless partly enjoy hunting other men, but also because they seem incapable or unwilling to settle down, get married, have a family, a homestead. I think John Wayne is often either a husband or a widower or someone whose relationships have failed, whereas Eastwood seems to be the free spirit, more anarchic--?
    What did you think of Peckinpah's Major Dundee, Stavros? Flawed, as all his films are, but it handled the issues of race etc particularly well, I thought.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Junior Poster ValerieNelson's Avatar

I also liked this HBO movie called, "El Diablo."

XoXo
    Valerie