Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by scroller
    This is pretty sick. I'm surprised by how many people are ok with random cops being empowered to jab people on the street with needles.
    I doubt this. Just for liability alone, a nurse/emt would be present if not required to draw the blood themselves. I don't see this taking off much outside of the western states, where it may be very far from a hospital.

"The officer phlebotomists are generally trained under the same program as their state's hospital or clinical phlebotomists, but they do it under a highly compressed schedule, and for some the curriculum is cut.

That's because officers don't need to know how to draw blood from a foot or other difficult sites, or from an infant or medically fragile patient, said Nicole Watson, the College of Western Idaho phlebotomy instructor teaching the Idaho officers."

This part scares me, how is this officer going to know for sure if someone is medically fragile or not?

We should have a Surge into Brazil and Thailand for their supply of Tgirls

Veteran Poster

just ask for a warrant lol or you could deny it completely

ThaTiger23..

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Thatiger23

Apparently the Idado Supreme Court has ruled you do not need a warrant to draw blood.

We should have a Surge into Brazil and Thailand for their supply of Tgirls

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TommyFoxtrot

Apparently the Idado Supreme Court has ruled you do not need a warrant to draw blood.
    well if thats the case just deny the test..

ThaTiger23..

Rookie Poster

well, the way I understood that article, is that the cops don't need a warrant or your permission. They can physically restrain you and take the blood sample by force.

Also, I really doubt a cop is going to give up getting a blood sample because someone is old, fragile, or whatever else... just gouge away till that vial fills...

I think somebody'd have to be pretty stupid, or ignorant, or both to let a cop draw blood.

A breathalyzer is one thing. Everybody has to exhale anyway, & there are laws in states to compel compliance. But blood circulates in a closed system. Needles are totally invasive. Even hospitals aren't allowed to draw blood & run tox screens unless you give permission or you're unconscious. If you think about it, how is this different from kicking in somebody's door?

If a cop wants to draw my blood, he better have a medical licence & a warrent. Even then, I'd probably balk, & I'd definitely be demanding a lawyer first. This isn't about public safety. It's a search for evidence of criminal wrongdoing. As far as I know, self incrimination still can't be compelled.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Professional Poster

From the AP article: "The nation's highest court ruled in 1966 that police could have blood tests forcibly done on a drunk driving suspect without a warrant... Once they're back on patrol, they will draw blood of any suspected drunk driver who refuses a breath test. They'll use force if they need to, such as getting help from another officer to pin down a suspect and potentially strap them down, Watson said."

Quote Originally Posted by TommyFoxtrot
    Quote Originally Posted by scroller
    This is pretty sick. I'm surprised by how many people are ok with random cops being empowered to jab people on the street with needles.
    I doubt this. Just for liability alone, a nurse/emt would be present if not required to draw the blood themselves. I don't see this taking off much outside of the western states, where it may be very far from a hospital.

"The officer phlebotomists are generally trained under the same program as their state's hospital or clinical phlebotomists, but they do it under a highly compressed schedule, and for some the curriculum is cut.

That's because officers don't need to know how to draw blood from a foot or other difficult sites, or from an infant or medically fragile patient, said Nicole Watson, the College of Western Idaho phlebotomy instructor teaching the Idaho officers."

This part scares me, how is this officer going to know for sure if someone is medically fragile or not?
    1- They won't know, because they're not medical professionals, whether or not someone is medically frail
    2- If a driver knows they need blood taken from a difficult & unusual location, what's to say the cop will believe them or listen to them?

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

You don't have a choice, if you'd read the article you'd see that the courts have allowed the cops to use physical force to acquire the blood if you don't comply.

Meaning they jump on you, detain you, and then forcefully thrust the needle into your arm (ever have blood drawn as a kid while your muscles were taunt? Ever had a nurse use too much force? This would be worse...) if you don't cooperate.

Also, in most states if you refuse to prove your sober when challenged, it invalidates your driver's license so saying "no, I don't want you to fucking pierce my arm" will mean you'll no longer be allowed to drive...

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried
    I think somebody'd have to be pretty stupid, or ignorant, or both to let a cop draw blood.
    If a cop wants to draw my blood, he better have a medical licence & a warrent. Even then, I'd probably balk, & I'd definitely be demanding a lawyer first. This isn't about public safety. It's a search for evidence of criminal wrongdoing. As far as I know, self incrimination still can't be compelled.
    lol you must be white