Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Junior Poster

Well you have to look at who she is replacing , she can't be more liberal then a member of the ACLU , it's a plus for the republicans to remove a ACLU judge !

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Souter was appointed by Bush I. Time has shown again and again that a conservative Supreme Court justice with an open mind and intelligence enough to learn from his experience on the bench will always abandon the ill-conceived conservatism of the party which appointed them. I suppose you can thank God Roberts’ mind is completely closed as well as Scalia’s, whereas Aletto and Thomas are just idiots.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by JelenaCD
    Well you have to look at who she is replacing , she can't be more liberal then a member of the ACLU , it's a plus for the republicans to remove a ACLU judge !
    Most lawyers are members of the ACLU. Dollars to donuts that Sotomayor is a member. Got something that shows who is or isn't a member on the SCOTUS? I think there might be a good chance that even Scalia carries a card, or did before his appointment. Is there a problem with that? Do you have a clue what the ACLU is?

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Most lawyers indeed are members of the ACLU, including prosecutors. It is an organization devoted to upholding the rights of individuals as granted by the U.S. Constitution. Even a libertarian can get behind that. The only people against the ACLU are those who are against the universal application of Constitutional protections and those who have been told to be against the ACLU.

I'm inclined to think that lawyers who rise to the bench will give up their membership, at least those judges who are likely to hear cases brought by the ACLU. But I have no data on this. I know Jalena claims Souter has a membership but I can find no reliably independent confirmation of this. I do know that Ginsberg was once an active member and that Scalia has participated in the discussions at the last membership conference.

I don't think of my own membership as having anything to do with my political inclinations, I simply think it's worthwhile supporting an organization that actively supports my rights and yours.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Oh. So you're a "card carrying member of the ACLU"?!?
    Ya pinko!

I don't see why anyone would drop their membership when appointed or elected to the bench. There's really no conflict. That'd be like saying they should drop membership in the bar association because the lawyers are down there making their arguments. The bar's a private lawyer's guild, who took licencing authority upon themselves, & nobody outside the law industry has ever challenged it.

If this is what the opposition has, Sonya Sotomayor just might get those 75 or 80 votes in the Senate.

Since the republicans really don't have anybody who can seriously challenge for the Presidency in 2012, I figure President Obama will probably make at least 2 more appointments after this one. Maybe 3 if Scalia can't stay away from the donuts. That would be the only conservative replacement. It might take another democratic President in 2016 to actually turn the court around a bit. By 2020 or 2024, Scalia & Thomas will probably both be gone. Republicans have controlled the court appointments since the '50s. This is only the 3rd appointment by a democrat since LBJ.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Someday someone is going to goad Thomas into formulating a question. The strain of the additional effort may cause his tiny brain to implode thereby sucking his puppet-master,Scalia, into the vacuum never to be seen again. I'm hoping it happens within the next two years.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried
    Since the republicans really don't have anybody who can seriously challenge for the Presidency in 2012, I figure President Obama will probably make at least 2 more appointments after this one.
    That is not exactly true. According to the recent Rasmussen poll, Romney would give Obama a run for his money. They were tied in the poll.