Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Led Zeppelin

49 81.67%
  • Allman Brothers Band

11 18.33%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Led Zeppelin is a great band (no doubt about that), but The Allmans were more original than the Zep. There's a cd called "Early blues roots of Led Zeppelin" which shows that Led Zep stole a whole bunch of their sound from other bands ...

Don't yuck somebody else's yum

Junior Poster

Led Zeppelin just took a lot of old blues songs and re-worked them.
    The lyrics remained the same, but the music was completely different in most cases.
    They did what a lot of old blues and folk and early rock artists did, only without giving proper credit.

Personally, I like them both quite a bit, with the suitability of each depending upon my mood.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Junior Poster

The only band that i consider in Led Zep league is Pink Floyd , both bands are outstanding ! Led Zep VS Pink Floyd, now that's a great matchup !

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
    Led Zeppelin just took a lot of old blues songs and re-worked them.
    The lyrics remained the same, but the music was completely different in most cases.
    They did what a lot of old blues and folk and early rock artists did, only without giving proper credit.
    Ding,ding,ding!!!! So did the Rolling Stones and Yardbirds.

Better than Led Zepplin? Do you want contemporaries. I'll even leave out the Beatles.

Hear ya go, remember these were my Teenage/early adult years,I saw and/or listened to all these bands in their primes.

Early on... The Who,The Kinks,The Pretty Things, The Jimi Hendrix Experience,King Crimson,Derek and The Dominoes,Traffic,Blue Oyster Cult,Yes,The MC5,Santana,Mahavishnu Orchestra,Ten Years After,Eric Burdon and War, The Rolling Stones,Robin Trower,The Allman Brothers,Booker T. and the MG's,The Mothers of Invention,Stevie Wonder,Lynyrd Skynyrd etc,etc....

Later......The Ramones,The Clash,Aerosmith,ZZ Top,The Dead Boys,(Stiv Bators ran Robert Plant out of gig yelling "Dinosaur,Dinosaur"),The Jam,the Outlaws,Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band,(sheesh I'm getting tired of typing!),The New York Dolls,Elvis Costello and the Attractions,The Patti Smith Group,Montrose,Parliment/Funkadelic.....

I've got more if you want 'em.

Zepplin was an overrated boogie/blues band. Period. They released a good debut album then coasted through ten years of dreck.

Ancient Pervert.

Platinum Poster

TJT, I caught Elvis Costello in San Diego on his first US tour. Mink Deville and Nick Lowe with Rockpile were also on the bill. What a fucking show!

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Professional Poster

I saw the same tour.

BTW,Willy DeVille and I have an ex-girlfriend in common.

Ancient Pervert.

Platinum Poster

Cool. We probably caught a lot of the same tours, as I've seen a lot of those bands that you mentioned. I notice that you mentioned BOC, also. I must have seen them six times, one time when they were billed as 'Pale White Underbelly'(or something like that) in the 80's. As for The Boss, the first show that I caught of his was the 'Darkness...' tour and it was incredible...it's probably also my favorite Springsteen album.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Rookie Poster

Well it's obviously Zeppelin, Although The Clash are better, just

Senior Member Junior Poster gummi baer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TFan
    Led Zepplin did drugs.

They did drugs. Drugs make you stupid and liberal.

Zepplin did drugs.

Allman brothers, because they are brothers and they are all men.
    Allman's never did drugs? Oh, well. They did do Cher.
    • btw: a little band called The Doors were doing some original stuff in the late sixties and early seventies.
    • Saw Zep in Berkeley (or maybe it was Oakland) in the Summer of '71 and they were NOT sloppy. Jim Morrison WAS sloppy in '68 in Asbury Park.

"But I said I don't like sour stuff."--Naota (FLCL)