Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by youcancallmeclaire
    I still use a 25mhz Apple Powerbook 520c with 20mb of ram for instant messaging and occasional web browsing. It has problems with javascripts, but it sort of re-enforces the point that 1gb for an OS is a little ridiculous.
    agreed. i have a powerbook duo 230 c with similar specifications, must be 15 ys old by now, still use it a lot for stuff like writing, e-mail, that wonderful claris data bank . sure, cant watch movies on it but what dont need that. and, its still the lightest laptop i ever owned.

i

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

Thanks for the recommendation, kukm4. Of course I should note that I run Linux on two servers, WinXP Pro on my laptop, and OS X on my mac in addition to this new workstation running Vista Ultimate.

lol this is "drop the pants, geek, show ur silicone"

ok, i got

a commodore amiga
    an apple powerbook duo 230c
    a 486 pc for running old adventure games
    a pentium 100 running an older linux distibution
    another pentium 100 running win 98
    a pentium 400 running windows 2000
    a silicon graphics indigo2 running irix
    an ibm/lenovo thinkpad dual core running xp

yes, i am a friggin geek

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

Quote Originally Posted by mbf

ok, i got

a commodore amiga
    an apple powerbook duo 230c
    a 486 pc for running old adventure games
    a pentium 100 running an older linux distibution
    another pentium 100 running win 98
    a pentium 400 running windows 2000
    a silicon graphics indigo2 running irix
    an ibm/lenovo thinkpad dual core running xp

yes, i am a friggin geek
    The old Commodores were really great machines, for their day, and very reliable.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Professional Poster

Yaaaaayyyyy omg.

I have.

1. Mac Classic 25mhz os 6
    2. Mac Powerbook 520c 25mhz/4mb ram os 7
    3. Mac Powerbook 520c 25mhz/20mb ram os8.1
    4. Mac Performa 6400/200 ...no hd.
    5. Powermac 7800 ...no hd.
    6. Powermac G3 beige 266mhz/320mb ram os 10.2
    7. iMac G3 indigo 500mhz... (needs a cd drive. It is not being used and it's lonely. Poor iMac kitty.)
    8. Powermac G4 MDD / FW800 Dual 1.42ghz/2gb ram os 10.4 *
    9. Dell Dimension XPS T450 640mb ram/PIII 450... soon to be Celeron 1.3ghz yay! Dual booting XP SP2 lite / Ubuntu
    10. 486 running Win3.1... don't remember the specs. I think it's like 40mhz.

I are geek. waffle.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn

The old Commodores were really great machines, for their day, and very reliable.

-Quinn
    I want one!!

Junior Poster

some of you people seem way to nice to billy and his company...i mean, really.

after 26 years of ms-os on pc-systems - is it really too much to expect this company come out with something not so overfraught with troubles as vista???

where there are no drivers available for a ONE YEAR OLD PRINTER from Epson????? how long have they been working on it ???? oh, wait till the service packs come out...yeah sure. let the users (or rather "the beeing used" ) play the beta testers just once again.

but what mostly enrages me bout vista clearly is how resource-hungry it is. c mon, 2-3 gigs of friggin RAM just to run an OS???

there they again are so behind the trend. instead of tailoring an os that works well with laptops (= light on resources) they do just the opposite and go bloat-as-bloat-can.

and from an engineers point of view: a technology that needs way more ressources than its predecessor, yet does the job as well or only slightly better is indeed a BAD BAD case of engineering. ( cars or software, no difference)
    I agree 100%. How do you let the laptop be a max 2GB RAM with 2 USB's? This means for me to use the neat USB RAM function I have to give up one slot.

Born of a broken man, but not a broken man
    Born of a broken man, never a broken man

Latrodectus mactans

Rookie Poster

I run a dual boot system on my pc of Windows XP Pro 32bit and Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit. Both run fine and I have not had one instance where I find bugs ect. Vista is new and needs the 3rd party developers to fully move over to the way it runs. There are alot of changes with Vista especialy with how sound playback works ect. There is no reason right now to upgrade to Vista unless you are buying a new computer that has it preloaded. Will Vista run slower on your current PC yes, why? Because its hardware requirements have increased and your hardware has remained the same. If you have XP stick with it for another year or so and allow the market to learn how to work with Vista before you upgrade.

As for mac let me tell you after working now as a computer technician for several years I see mac's on my bench too. Keep in mind Apple only has about 5% of the market so I dont see them often but they come in. Recently more often due to of all things Viruses (by the way for all you safe mac users out there Norton Anti-Virus mac edition is on sale lol). If you look at the rate of problems between mac and pc it makes sense why pc's look less reliable.

-There is very little involvement from 3rd party software for Mac compared to Windows. Apples makes many of the core products that Mac users have and there is nearly no game support so there is no need to worry about stability in that sense.
    -If you were to make a virus would you want to hit 5% or 90% of the market? (the other 5% for linux users ect)
    -With the larger volume of users and the greater the number of tasks they are asking Windows of the higher the risk your going to find a bug or glitch.

Most code that is wrote today is very sloppy and many software makers have a policy to get it to market fast then patch it later. I think there is very little diffrence between Mac or Windows boxes now. Just look at it a Mac is PC hardware (Intel processors ect).

Junior Poster

Vista is very bad thing!!!!!!!!!

JOHN FROM
    - Europe/Greece/Athens - !