View Poll Results: Do you believe aliens exist and visit our earth?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i believe aliens exist and visit earth. I believe UFOs and USOs exist.

19 73.08%
  • I don't even if astronauts, pilots and ex-NASA officials say they do.

7 26.92%
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Do you believe aliens exist and visit our planet Earth?

Let's face it, if you have been travelling through the universe in search of a great cup of tea with scones, jam and clotted cream, you too would put Devon in your galactic GPS.
    Long live the Independent Republic of Totnes!!

http://www.middevongazette.co.uk/29-...ail/story.html

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

I do believe that intelligent extraterrestrial life forms exist. I don't know if they visit (or ar capable of visiting) Earth or not though.

The Fermi Paradox . " So where is everybody ?"
    That is , given the overwhelming probability that advanced civilizations have evolved elsewhere in the universe as demonstrated by the mathematics of The Drake Equation , where are they?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    That is , given the overwhelming probability that advanced civilizations have evolved elsewhere in the universe as demonstrated by the mathematics of The Drake Equation , where are they?
    So which explanation for the paradox do you subscribe to? I am going for too far apart in space and time. Second place I'm thinking maybe it's a good idea not to send out signals so maybe a more prudent alien species has decided the same. If you have the technology to transmit signals but not the technology to travel between galaxies you are making yourselves known and open to colonization by a technologically superior species.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nitron View Post
    How about this one, what do you think , personally I do think this lagit.......
    Oh yeah, that was convincing. (read with skepticism and irony)

Who's going to come here when Trump's the leader of free world? I can hear him now, "The transgalacticans are nothing but illegal aliens. They're taking our jobs and giving us nothing but fake facts. Warnings about global warming - fake. Warnings about nuclear weapons - fake. Cures for poverty, disease and social inequality - fake, Fake, FAKE. We're gonna build a wall, people. A big wall. The biggest wall, between Earth and outer space. It's gonna be a beautiful wall."
    On the other hand, one might ask why we see no evidence of anybody else out there. Are we too early? Are we too late? Are they too distant? Too sparse? Are our detection techniques too crude? All of the above. More than the above?

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    So which explanation for the paradox do you subscribe to? I am going for too far apart in space and time. Second place I'm thinking maybe it's a good idea not to send out signals so maybe a more prudent alien species has decided the same. If you have the technology to transmit signals but not the technology to travel between galaxies you are making yourselves known and open to colonization by a technologically superior species.
    Kinda agree. Interactions between Earthly civilizations worked out so well, especially when one group was technologically more advanced than the other. (read with skepticism and irony)
    Also civilizations may just naturally go dark. When we first discovered broadcast technology our communications were blasted into space as well as around the Earth. But eventually we invented more directed technologies for communication and (I believe) we’re a lot darker now without actually trying to be. It may also be that conscious life forms are extremely rare and tend to be hazardous to themselves - going extinct is another way to go dark.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Maybe they can all be found dancing on the head of a pin...

...Oh wait, that's where the angels are right?...Goddammit, hardly ever post and still fuck up when I do.

Yes to the answer from broncofan that we are just too far apart in space and time and to trish`s answer that civilizations may just naturally go dark .
    Ever stop to consider how slow light speed really is in relation to intergalactic distances ?
    Given that the speed of light is the absolute fastest anything can move ,(discounting `quantum entanglement`which seems to defy that principle) , it takes 8.3 minutes for light to reach us from the Sun and our little galaxy is 100,000 - 180,000 light years in diameter .

Gold Poster

Given that the speed of light is the absolute fastest anything can move ,(discounting `quantum entanglement`which seems to defy that principle) , it takes 8.3 minutes for light to reach us from the Sun and our little galaxy is 100,000 - 180,000 light years in diameter .
    I guess I'm curious how long we've been listening? If a message is sent from 5 billion light years away (and for a presumably finite period of time), why should we expect to hear it within the infinitesimally short period we've been listening? There also has to be an equation for the small odds of synchronizing transmissions with their receipt. Which cuts back to Trish's point about the average length of time a civilization can sustain itself and not go dark vs. the distances traversed.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by broncofan; 05-21-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    I guess I'm curious how long we've been listening? If a message is sent from 5 billion light years away (and for a presumably finite period of time), why should we expect to hear it within the infinitesimally short period we've been listening? There also has to be an equation for the small odds of synchronizing transmissions with their receipt. Which cuts back to Trish's point about the average length of time a civilization can sustain itself and not go dark vs. the distances traversed.
    I suppose this is just a rehash of the previous posts...maybe we'll talk about what these different life forms would look like. Clouds of matter? Microscopic? Green? Use radio transmission or communicate telepathically? Maybe have consciousness but not the appropriate limbs and motility to build any advanced technologies? What different forms can life take?

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    ...Oh wait, that's where the angels are right?...Goddammit, hardly ever post and still fuck up when I do.
    There's no rule against serial posting....at least I better hope not.