Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Freudian Slip Platinum Poster Wendy Summers's Avatar

Default Re: Pulse Nightclub in Orlando Attack

Quote Originally Posted by dj3131 View Post
    The problem -is- religion, not which religion.
    To be fair, this isn't true either. Religion is like alcohol... in moderation it can actually be a very positive thing. Spirituality can be a good influence on people. But when someone uses it to mask or redirect their own hurt or problems rather than dealing with those emotional issues directly, we see religion twisted. When someone uses the guise of religion to control other's behavior and thinking, subverting the core tenants of the faith, we see religion twisted. Basically religion itself in neutral... it's how people practice that faith which is either good or bad.

6 out of 6 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

There has been enough suffering, no need for a silly Internet argument that will solve nothing. Its a better idea at this time to love and support each other. Peace

:) Junior Poster

I guess I should not be surprised about this, but reading the local news site comments.... well, let's just say if these people mean what they type, they are some cold cold ones without a single ounce of compassion.. to put it mildly.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Veni Vidi Vici

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The difference between 'Pray away the gay' and 'Slay away the gay' is a bullet -both are based on the view that same-sex relations are wrong and something can and must be done about them- and I feel that the US must make tough decisions about gun control or these massacres will continue to happen, whether the motive is paranoia, resentment, political, or the desire on the shooter's part to experience the apocalypse for real, taking as many innocent people with him as he can. The focus now returns to Congress, but if nothing was done when those children were slaughtered in Connecticut what hope is there that Orlando will make a difference?

From The Guardian this morning:
    New York City’s police commissioner, Bill Bratton, fiercely criticized the National Rifle Association, the most powerful gun lobby in the country, that has campaigned to prevent people named on the US government no-fly list from being barred from purchasing guns.

“The idea we have a terror-watch list, a no-fly list, and someone on that list can buy a gun – that’s the highest level of insanity,” Bratton told CNN. He added that the probe into the Orlando shooter would have to take in whether “there was anything from the FBI investigations that might have stopped him being able to acquire a firearm. I don’t hold out much hope for that: obviously the United States is too afraid of the NRA at this time.”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...t-fbi-guns-buy

How they got their guns -from the New York Times -
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...guns.html?_r=0

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

melody mayheim Veteran Poster melody mayheim's Avatar

I cant stop watching...or crying

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I’m writing through tears of relief. My two dear colleagues who had been vacationing in Florida and planned to do some clubbing (as well as camping, canoeing, sight seeing etc.) called to say they spent an extra day in Augustine and hadn’t yet made to Orlando. Yet still, thinking of what happened last night at the Pulse makes me queasy and sick. I know my condolences don’t mean shit to those who lost loved ones there, but I post my condolences anyway. I’m so sorry for your pain.

This morning the story is beginning to gel. The shooter was Omar Mateen. He was 29 and an American citizen by birth. His parents were born in Afghanistan. As of this moment the FBI believes Omar Mateen to be a lone wolf inspired by ISIS propaganda. CBS seems to confirm the story (Johnny Walker posted here last night) that his father has anti-American and homophobic views.

Clearly there is evil in this world. But it is not the Muslim religion, the Christian religion nor religion in general (I say this even though I do not personally subscribe to any religious worldview). Hatred, bigotry, ignorance and intolerance generalized and applied indiscriminately against the innocent is the evil we face. Omar Mateen was filled with it. Yet hatred, bigotry, ignorance and intolerance is threatening to devour us too. Reacting callously against all Muslims will only strengthen ISIS, create more lone wolves and compound the violence.

Certainly this tragedy is not an excuse (as some here seem to suggest) to drop our fight for basic human rights here in the U.S.: the right to use the restroom appropriate to our gender identity, the right to be served in the same manner as anyone else in a business establishment or an office of a state or municipal institution. If we give up, the bigots win.

Should it be an excuse to pass more secure firearm regulations? One sick man with a single assault weapon and a handgun just killed forty nine of our fellow travelers and injured fifty-three more, most of them critically. Certainly there is reason enough to reconsider the issue.

4 out of 4 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Don't all clubs have door security that pat patrons down before entering?
    How did the shooter get in with an AK-15?
    btw, the Orlando weapon is banned in the UK for all Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	942169non-military and LE personnel.

You are now being faced with a stark choice, no running away from this.

Islam is not compatible with the liberal western society.

If you want to keep the advances that have been made for the LGBT community then the Islamics need to stay in their own countries.

2 out of 4 members liked this post.

No ,your the one that's wrong.and your view of the world is the cause of this.burying your head in the sand and thinking nice thoughts get us nowhere.these people are idealogs with a twisted perverse view of civilization.if they didn't have guns it would be bombs and if not bombs knives.how many Christians have you heard of beheading people in the last 300 years? If your hatred for God is that intense I ask you why do you hate something you don't believe in? The Bible teaches love and acceptance not hate. The kuran teaches hate and the infidels that don't convert should be killed ,read it.no I'm not the one that's wrong here.if 1 person would have had their own gun there in that bathroom lives could have very likely been saved. Those vermin will use any means they can think of.do I think all muslims are like that of course not.it isn't hate it's reality.

3 out of 4 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Should it be an excuse to pass more secure firearm regulations? One sick man with a single assault weapon and a handgun just killed forty nine of our fellow travelers and injured fifty-three more, most of them critically. Certainly there is reason enough to reconsider the issue.
    Gun control didn't stop them in Paris did it?

1 out of 2 members liked this post.