Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Orange is the New Black anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I
    The phenomenon of the transgendered person is a thoroughly modern one, not in the sense that such conditions did not exist in the past — Cassius Dio relates a horrifying tale of an attempted sex-change operation — but because we in the 21st century have regressed to a very primitive understanding of reality, namely the sympathetic magic described by James George Frazer in The Golden Bough.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...n-d-williamson
    I was always under the impression that the little SOB Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, aka Emperor Elagabalus never went through with the operation. Does anyone have anymore info on this?

I've watched it. I found the first four episodes to be so disconnected with too many characters that are pointless props. It takes until mid-season for it to start to take shape and comes together in the end. I hope that's not a spoiler to anyone.

They could cut twelve characters and the story would still flow the same. As far as Laverne Cox goes, she's unfortunately one of those prop characters who plays virtually no role in the show, except to do inmates' hair. It's like Jenji Kohan said, I'm going to be a ground breaker with the transgender community and have a transgender actress play a part. It's a statement rather than writing a relevent character. Cox deserves more.

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bassman2546 View Post
    I've watched it. I found the first four episodes to be so disconnected with too many characters that are pointless props. It takes until mid-season for it to start to take shape and comes together in the end. I hope that's not a spoiler to anyone.

They could cut twelve characters and the story would still flow the same. As far as Laverne Cox goes, she's unfortunately one of those prop characters who plays virtually no role in the show, except to do inmates' hair. It's like Jenji Kohan said, I'm going to be a ground breaker with the transgender community and have a transgender actress play a part. It's a statement rather than writing a relevent character. Cox deserves more.
    ** NO SPOILERS BELOW **

This is relevant criticism.

On the surface I might argue against the main point as Cox's character is very sympathetic and a key figure in the drama. However, the producers involved her even less in the 2nd season than the 1st, so I'll argue against this by saying that even a token TS character, played by a TS, in a television series is important progress.

Anyone watching television in the 60's and 70's saw token black characters evolve into very bad all black television series, which eventually evolved into television series where African Americans were portrayed realistically. Baby steps.

The other aspect of Orange is the New Black that seems important is its deep dive into bisexuality and its inherent complications. And not just the relationships of the main character. There are several characters struggling more or less with bisexuality in a unisex environment. For gays and lesbians, the last few decades of movies and television depicting gay and lesbian relationships and characters have been a wellspring coinciding with and assisting the GLBT rights movement. Not so, for bisexuals.

In some ways, only a television series, in it's inherent long form, can do justice to the complex topic of being bisexual. And in my opinion, this series is doing this successfully, despite the tepid kisses btwn Taylor Schilling and Laura Prepon.

Even beyond the show's themes on sexual orientation, I have enjoyed it as a drama. I think I liked the 2nd season even more than the 1st. My fear, which I have with every television series, is that the producers see it as a cash cow and continue it season after season until it's boring and irrelevant. Perhaps Chapman's relatively short prison sentence will inherently put a cap on this series at 3 or 4 seasons, total. We can hope.

I love the show so much that I sat down and watched the entire second season in one day.

Its a truly great show Netflix has done an outstanding job on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
    My fear, which I have with every television series, is that the producers see it as a cash cow and continue it season after season until it's boring and irrelevant. Perhaps Chapman's relatively short prison sentence will inherently put a cap on this series at 3 or 4 seasons, total. We can hope.

Yes. Jenji Kohan's previous series, Weeds, continued for 2 or 3 seasons longer than it should have in my opinion. As much as I loved that show, I was kind of bored with it by the end. The same goes for True Blood.

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-g...5/+robharvilla

Funny and long piece on sex in the NY state male prison system. It's sort of the opposite (gender) view of what's shown in Orange is the New Black.