Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mmmmm beefy Platinum Poster rockabilly's Avatar

Default Re: If You Wanted To Visit A Country Full Of Culture, Where Would You Go?

Ireland or Scotland

Junior Member Rookie Poster

Default Re: If You Wanted To Visit A Country Full Of Culture, Where Would You Go?

Scotland for sure. More tgirls in Edinburgh

Junior Poster

Been to Burma, Thailand, Afghanistan and Iran (years ago) and found the cultures in those countries so fascinating. The Afghans were incredibly friendly. Was able to travel and see where Gheghis Khan used to hang out.

Dunkie

Junior Poster

If I have read correctly, Nautica asked for culture. I love UK, but sorry folks, in culture, you brits are not the champs. Culture is more likely in China, Italy, Greece, Spain, Egypt, Turkey, Japan, Thailand, France, Morocco, Russia...

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PEPE3Z View Post
    If I have read correctly, Nautica asked for culture. I love UK, but sorry folks, in culture, you brits are not the champs. Culture is more likely in China, Italy, Greece, Spain, Egypt, Turkey, Japan, Thailand, France, Morocco, Russia...
    A stupid post from someone that if they've even visited the UK, has probably not made it out of the tourist traps of London. The UK has "culture" in droves, like many of those countries you mention. However, some of those countries celebrate ONE culture and don't embrace more (Japan for example).

Someone mentioned any country can have those things if you say away from the typical tourist traps and I agree. Have you fully discovered your own country?
    This year so far I've been to Thailand, Krakow, Montreal, Bordeaux (region), Costa del Sol (where I am now), Arizona, California and later this month in Budapest. I wasn't interested in coming to the Costa del Sol as it lacks the "culture" which I seek on a holiday, until I investigated further and had a tapas lunch beside a roman baths, Moorish castle and a 1000 yr old cathedral in the stunning Antequera (look it up) yesterday before driving a few miles away to look at 5000 yr old tombs and then to limestone formations at El Torcal.

You just have to look further. Every state in the US has places to be discovered. I've been to something like 45 of them and looking forward to the rest.

You need to clarify what you are looking for in a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by PEPE3Z View Post
    To be fair that depends how you define 'culture'...European culture is pretty much a continuum, like a box of chocolates (where did I hear that) the cultures are all slightly different but are very rich. Me personally, inside Europe, France, Italy and Scotland, not necessarily in that order. Most in-your-face is definitely Italy, most chic France. Scotland...I'm biased.

But for real wow, then: India! Brazil (I am amazed no-one mentioned it so far!) China, Japan, Thailand. Turkey--it has big problems and these may very well get worse, but in terms of cultural heritage the place is amazing. Egypt is probably off-limits for the foreseeable, unfortunately.

If you only speak English and that bothers you, then of course, you're restricted-- but here again India has to be at the top, since everyone with an education not only speaks it but is happy to.

Oh and btw, I was reading the other day that there are between 8-10 MILLION hijra in INdia now...and you know, they discovered hormones...

Quote Originally Posted by MacShreach View Post

Brazil (I am amazed no-one mentioned it so far!)
    I've found Brazil to be one of the most difficult and somewhat dangerous places to visit, with culture to be harder to find than other mentioned places. I've been there maybe 10-12 times and always enjoy it but it wouldn't be somewhere where I'd suggest people to visit above some of the other mentioned places. For traveling to foreign countries if you only speak English and want to find you way around safely but fun - Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam rank high. Japanese speak almost no English and can be a hard place to navigate and China, once you're outside the major cities is incredibly difficult.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

It might help this thread if posters actually read what Nautica asks for when seeking advice on culture:

Quote Originally Posted by Nautica View Post
    Like, seriously. Somewhere full of nature, not so robotic, where people have real gatherings, and make things by hand, etc. Where would you visit?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    It might help this thread if posters actually read what Nautica asks for when seeking advice on culture:
    I stand by what I posted - you can find that practically anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    I stand by what I posted - you can find that practically anywhere.
    I agree. Culture is everywhere. If someone is used to the package tourist destinations, they'll have to dig a bit, but it's there.

As to your earlier, I agree that Brazil is, umm, maybe not a beginner destination, especially if you only speak English, but having said that it is by no means the most dangerous or difficult.

There are skills to traveling, especially when you leave the beaten track (as I am certain you know) and the only way to learn them is to get in there. There is a way of being neither a target nor an aggressor, but just getting along...it's not so easy to describe.

In a lifetime of travelling I can only think of maybe four occasions when I felt really in danger, and two of those were in the Swat Valley, which is kinda hot, you know? One other was in Athens (of all places) but I was very young, and the other, equally weirdly, was in Iceland! Dangerous situations can occur anywhere, even in the UK; try navigating Sauchiehall St around midnight on a Saturday.

(And just to add: I have felt seriously threatened and in danger far far more than four times while I was at home in Scotland. Like the time in the Horseshoe bar in Glasgow, just chatting with some friends when a guy just came up and said 'Are you a Tim or a Prod?' 'Neither,' says I, honestly. 'I'm an atheist.' 'Aye,' says the other, 'but are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant one?' It didn't actually turn violent but it was a ballhair away...a resourceful barman defuseed the situation.)

As to the culture, it depends on your definition: for me, music is really a big thing. Brazil's musical culture is just amazing, and absolutely everywhere.