Page 267 of 458 FirstFirst ... 167217257262263264265266267268269270271272277317367 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 4580
    Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Star Trek 2.... Imax, 3D.... predictable, unoriginal, uninventive and the same visual elements, with some extra polish, that have filled mass audience sci-fi since Stars Wars (and how long ago was that!). Dull and stupidly crass and only intermittently bearable. The originality of the first new Stars Trek film has evaporated leaving cliched nods to character and way too much crash bang and cosmic wallop. This is cinema for kids not adults - even those who enjoy some silly entertainment. It was not entertaining.

Senior Member Veteran Poster Corran's Avatar

Prospero that's the same way I felt after watching Star Trek 2. You just said it better that I would have lol

Member Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Sunshine (Danny Boyle, 2007)
    I have never seen the whole of this film before, so now having done so and also watched it twice with Brian Cox's narration I think it is quite outstanding; there are flaws, and I am not sure about Pinbacker, but it is an accomplished film which doesn't take the imagination too far away from reality, as Cox points out for example, the outer surface/layers of the Sun at 6,000C is cooler than the heat generated by re-entry into earth which can had up to 20,000C and so on. Acting is formidable too, and let's face it SciFi movies (Star Wars and Star Trek being obvious) can often be so beyond belief they are not worth watching at all.
    I liked the start of this movie, but I was disappointed at the dramatic turn this movie took. Great cast though.

Pale Italian Superhero Rookie Poster whiteitalianchocolate36's Avatar

Iron Man 3

Senior Member Junior Poster moonunit7's Avatar

About Star Trek 2. I didn't think it was that bad, but I didn't go into it with very high expectations.
    Pros: I thought the special effects were great, the guy who plays Kirk is pretty good and I liked Khan.

Cons: The McCoy character is horrible, too many cliches and reverse story situations and the Admiral piloting the super battleship was not very believable.

I know there will never be another Shatner/Nimoy era and I've learned to accept that. Gene Roddenberry is long dead and, for the most part, the general public is a bit too stupid and lacks the attention span for intense, intelligent sci-fi stories. Therefore, I've tried to dumb myself down and enjoy them as much as I can.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

"Behind the Candelabra' the much acclaimed biopic about Liberace. Brilliant perforance by Michael Douglas, but overlong and it seemed to reinforce certain old myths about the gay community.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Carancho (Pablo Trapero, 2011)

Powerful film about an ambulance chaser looking for change who falls in love with a medic also looking for a change: to get out of a corrupt system: good script, outstanding acting -as usual- from Ricardo Darin, and also Martina Gusman, who co-produced the film.
    I've also seen this film and was duly impressed. Darin's previous film, The Secret in Their Eyes, is an outstanding piece of work about the aftermath of Argentina's dirty war. Latin American cinema is pretty exciting these days.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    I've also seen this film and was duly impressed. Darin's previous film, The Secret in Their Eyes, is an outstanding piece of work about the aftermath of Argentina's dirty war. Latin American cinema is pretty exciting these days.
    My knowledge of Latin American cinema is not extensive -I saw most of Glauber Rocha's films in the 70s, and saw three of them again recently (Black God, White Devil; Land in Anguish; Antonio das Mortes) and was also keen on Sweet Hunters and Os Cafajestes by Ruy Guerra. I think along with Cuban cinema, Lucia (Humberto Solas) in the 60s and 70s they were playing with narrative structure, but it is also something one also notices with Inarritu's films (Amores Perros, Babel), whereas Argentinian films I have seen are often about the underside of life in Buenos Aires and how people struggle to make a living in a precarious economy -Nine Queens, The Secret in their Eyes and Carancho being quite different from say Happy Together (Wong Kar Wai) which is also set in Buenos Aires. Mexico also has Gael Garcia Bernal, good at both acting and directing, his film Deficit stands up to repeated viewing. Have no idea what is happening outside Mexico, Cuba, Brazil and Argentina, these seem to be the main countries regularly producing good films, although I am not an admirer of the recent Brazilian films about prison life. Would appreciate some recommendations.

Junior Member Rookie Poster reinhardt.lane's Avatar

The Last film i saw was 'Exiled.' Its a neat combination of Chinese Gangster and Spaghetti Western style. Johnnie To does really well with the subject material and its just funny enough without being campy.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Reinhardt do you -does anyone- know a Johnny To film in which a crew, dressed sort of like Reservoir Dogs, goes to a large house somewhere to eliminate someone only to find themselves depleted one by one? I saw it on an aeroplane some years ago and can't recall its title.