Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
    Silver Poster

So,

I've had the opportunity to listen to Cubes new album, RAW FOOTAGE, 3 times now.

I don't wanna get all long winded and shit,

but I'll just say that Cube is most definitely back. Back to callin folks Cavemen and Devils, if you know what I mean and listened to cubes 1st few solo career albums.

At any rate, most of his record is done well, and done smart. The only thing, I personally don't think this is gonna be one of those "blockbuster smashes" type of records because it's done too smart..........he's talking TOO intelligently and I personally don't think new schoolers have the mental capacity and patience for such a record. The kids don't wanna hear true hip hop in general, they want LOLIPOP (which was a hot track btw) and shit like that.

He teamed up with Young Jeezy, MusiQ Soulchild, The Game, WC, a couple others, but not too many.

My favorite tracks, Why Me f/MusiQ Soulchild, It Takes A Nation, Hood Mentality, and Thank God .

It's a good album....Even though I don't specialize in Hip Hop, I'll put my rep as a musician on it.

If you like Hip HOp and you don't get this album, especially you East Coasters, you are wrong.....simple as that.

I'm out to my slave shop now.

Rookie Poster

I know this is my first post but this thread is hip-hop and I couldn't help myself

Ice Cube is def a top 5 contender

anyone and everyone putting him down in this thread doesn't kno there hip-hop

yeah there's coast bias, but after Pac and BIG died that died as well

you either are up on ya hip-hop or your not

I personally don't think Ice Cube is Top 5 but he has credentials that apply 110%

my top 4 are Rakim, Nas, KRS-One & Big Pun

whoever brought up MC Ren in the earlier pages gets mad props from me

when I think NWA I think Ren & Cube. no offense to those other lamer characters.

I saw some lists with kanye & eminem. if that is what is considered top 5 then stop listening to whatever you have on now and listen to;

Ice Cube- Dvoidofpop (Remix)

eminem is hungangels #1 rapper & kanye just stole a m.I.a. sample from the beastie boys

wackjuice

now back to you Armani, you said Cubes album was the best but this one and his last 2 aren't touching Nas last 2 or KRS last 2 either, especially KRS

Ice Cube hasn't made a song like "Hip-Hop Lives" in a very long time

"Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It & Gangsta Rap (Remix) were great but nothing like;

Money ft MC Lyte

or I Was There

good thread tho I await the debate

"hip-hop aint dead but its swimming with a limb.." -Redman

"please settle down"

Silver Poster

Best rap vid of all time imho.

I've neverdone good things
    I've never done bad things
    I've never done anything out of the blue

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dahgoog
    I know this is my first post but this thread is hip-hop and I couldn't help myself.................

now back to you Armani, you said Cubes album was the best but this one and his last 2 aren't touching Nas last 2 or KRS last 2 either, especially KRS

Ice Cube hasn't made a song like "Hip-Hop Lives" in a very long time

"Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It & Gangsta Rap (Remix) were great but nothing like;

Money ft MC Lyte

or I Was There

good thread tho I await the debate

"hip-hop aint dead but its swimming with a limb.." -Redman
    __________________________________________________ _______________

I didn't say Cubes record was THE BEST,

I said it was good, and reminiscent of his previous militant records of past.

And I did say that Ice Cube's song. Gansta Rap Made Me Do It was the BEST Hip Hop single of the year so far......And I still back that and its almost Sept.

I also went on to imply that East Coasters, still to this day, have a problem with WEST COAST rap, and if they do NOT get this record, they are wrong and might just be ASSHOLES......that's what I implied.

It also seems that you do not carry all the bias that your regional peers do.....so maybe you'll go get the record.

Silver Poster

Ice is good at what he do, but I can't put him in my top 5 either. He does make great movies and he has longevity

Lifemember

Default Re: ICE CUBE: Top 5 greatest rappers of ALL TIME.

I don't know how to discern good rap from bad rap other than my own tastes. My tastes are based upon the way I have lived and what particular music means to me. I feel that Jay Z belongs within the top five and he strikes me as a real thug as well. I feel the same about Biggy Smalls, his music has inspired and motivated me to calmly get what I want on given days; not to mention he could freestyle with the best of em. M & M gets credit as well, especially when it comes to free style, and his lyrics are tailored for any situation; perhaps even a little too emotional in a few songs, for my tastes anyways. Tu Pac of course left his mark, but I'm only fond of a little of Pac's music, I get around being a favorite. I grew up in Milwaukee so lived neither West nor East, but am more partial to East Coast Rap. Jay Z and Biggy just seem like real Thugs in my book, whereas Snoop, Ice Cube and Easy leave room for speculation. Nonetheless I love Snoops music and animated videos, specially 10 lil Crips, Cube's 2000, Easy's music in general. Oh and before I close I have ta mention 50 Cent, for I have a short freestyle done by 50 right after he recuperated following being perforated which was especially inspiring. Just today I found music I have been unable to locate for 10 years, "Where da paper at," which is perhaps not top five material but was something I thought of as the best, to my tastes that is. The song came to my attention in one of the various volumes of R&B Hip Hop Favorites from 2001 I believe. In closing I wanna express that in my opinion rap music is necessary as a tool of diversity which I wish all people with interests in rock, metal, Grunge, Punk, Industrial, etc. would open their minds to rather than dismiss based on their hatred for other races. Diversity along with an open mind are the keys to true freedom. Rap as well as R & B, Mo Town etc. have meaning for everyone and can provide insight into single lives as well as an entire people to such an extent as to set one free from making a choice to hate. SO regardless of who the true top 5 greatest rappers of all times are, if such can actually be discerned and accepted, I respect each individual person as to their opinion based upon their tastes. Moreover, I appreciate this thread for making me think about all the music I have had opportunity to open my mind to as well as for the opportunity to share my opinions and tastes with others. And now I'm gonna go listen to Scarface, minds playing tricks on me...

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

All I'll say is that I prefer the stuff from the mid 90s to the sound-alike stuff being out out now...Snoop, Pac, Wu Tang, Black Moon, Hieroglyphics, Biggie, Jigga...I could go on and on.

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Senior Member Junior Poster Idt20082008"'s Avatar

I agree totally Willie and I'll even go back farther to start (and I didn't read any posts beyond the last couple) but give me Chuck D and Public Enemy, KRS-One, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Q-Tip and Tribe Called Quest, Too Short, Schoolly D, and a lesser known but personal fav MC Breed

Ice cube fell off in 1996...no way he's top 5

Senior Member Professional Poster up_for_it's Avatar

I wouldnt say Cube gets in my top 5 of all time and I agree he fell off after the whole Friday franchise. But, I do like some of his old stuff- Amerikkka's Most Wanted and before. My Summer Vacation has been on rotation on my mp3 player for weeks now. He's actually got a sense of humor and can tell a story if you can get past the bullshit.