Thread: I Puritani

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default I Puritani

I wonder what people think of the resignation of General David Petraeus? I read a while ago that he was a natural for the Presidency should he want a crack at it in 2016; I think there is one constituency that believes it is no coincidence that the 'scandal' he has been exposed to has removed that possibility -one assumes so anyway. America's record of stable marriages is not outstanding, yet lauds married life as the epitome of the virtuous life; one half of the population of married men and women has affairs, yet shift youself from Mr Nobody in Main Street USA all the way to the top of the CIA via the Military, and nothing less than Puritan values will save you from wickedness and sin, and public ridicule; known elsewhere as reality. It may not have been news at the time, but JFK's sexual behaviour puts most Presidents, and probably most Chiefs of Staff and CIA directors to shame. Presumably these days he wouldn't even make it to the House.

In Bellini's opera I Puritani, a Roundhead discovers his beloved is in love with a Cavalier, the Cavalier uses his beloved's wedding veil to spirit the imprisoned widow of King Charles from the Roundhead's prison; his beloved, thinking herself jilted, goes mad and (still wearing her wedding dress of course) sings -don't they all? Amazingly for an opera set at the height of the civil war, it all ends amicably, the lovers are re-united, the Queen is set free. Whether or not Ms Broadwell gets her PhD from King's is now an open question. Somehow the ins and outs of this bizarre Soap Opera based in Florida just doesn't have the melodies.

The Conservative paper the Sunday Telegraph has a useful article on it here:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...gone-wild.html

Or you could just sit back and relax as Anna Netrebko goes mad...

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: I Puritani

U.S. military officers generally keep their politics hidden from view. It’s true the GOP was hoping they could lure Petraeus to run for president in 2016, but there’s no indication he would’ve accepted or even (as far as I’m know) that he is a republican.

There are of course all kinds of conspiracy theories about his resignation, but I’m inclined to go with the facts as they appear to be; i.e. he was drawn into an affair with a groupie (I understand Tampa society overflows with groupies who are starry eyed for the top brass), and stupidly the two left an internet trail. No need to go into the details of what happened when the affair went sour, because we all have the libretto memorized by now.

Some have made parallels with Clinton’s impeachment. Both Clinton and Petraeus had extramarital flings that were exposed. Both lied under oath about the affairs. Clinton did not resign his office, Petraeus did, and I think of his own free will.

Was it smart to resign. Only Petraeus can answer that. I think for Petraeus it was a matter of honor. Sure it was pretty dishonorable to have gotten into this situation, but that doesn’t mean he is now precluded from responding honorably from here on out.

I think that as much as we love sex scandals in American, we are sometimes pretty forgiving of the sexual adventures of our leaders. Clinton survived, Schwarzenneger survived, even Gingrich survived. We can only remain scandalized so long, and then, if you’re not a complete and utter asshole, we forgive you. It’s only sex after all. If Petraeus hadn’t resigned on his own, he may have eventually been asked to resign. Obama would have had to spend some political capital to keep him on as head of the CIA, and Petraeus probably isn’t worth the cost. Perhaps Petraeus is a democrat and took this calculation under consideration. Or maybe he’s just a good soldier and temporarily laid down his political life for the President.

Just to add to the ongoing operatics, I read that his wife is "more than furious."
    Thanks for the I Puritani

Last edited by trish; 11-18-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

I think he bailed because everything was about to go public. He & Clapper sat down & worked through the scenarios. It wasn't going to get better. This is going to blow over, & Petraeus will come out smelling like a rose. Now you have his replacement in Afghanistan (who's name escapes me) about to go through the mud bath over the same bullshit, just because he bitched out one of the women involved or something.

The more I hear about this, the more it looks like a bunch of 13 year olds arguing over who likes whom best. "But I like Tommy. Becky better stay away! Do you think Dick is cute? Does he like me? OMG!!! Becky's not even hot!" ...& on & on & on... It's turning into "general chaos".

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    U.S. military officers generally keep their politics hidden from view. It’s true the GOP was hoping they could lure Petraeus to run for president in 2016, but there’s no indication he would’ve accepted or even (as far as I’m know) that he is a republican.

There are of course all kinds of conspiracy theories about his resignation, but I’m inclined to go with the facts as they appear to be; i.e. he was drawn into an affair with a groupie (I understand Tampa society overflows with groupies who are starry eyed for the top brass), and stupidly the two left an internet trail. No need to go into the details of what happened when the affair went sour, because we all have the libretto memorized by now.

Some have made parallels with Clinton’s impeachment. Both Clinton and Petraeus had extramarital flings that were exposed. Both lied under oath about the affairs. Clinton did not resign his office, Petraeus did, and I think of his own free will.

Was it smart to resign. Only Petraeus can answer that. I think for Petraeus it was a matter of honor. Sure it was pretty dishonorable to have gotten into this situation, but that doesn’t mean he is now precluded from responding honorably from here on out.

I think that as much as we love sex scandals in American, we are sometimes pretty forgiving of the sexual adventures of our leaders. Clinton survived, Schwarzenneger survived, even Gingrich survived. We can only remain scandalized so long, and then, if you’re not a complete and utter asshole, we forgive you. It’s only sex after all. If Petraeus hadn’t resigned on his own, he may have eventually been asked to resign. Obama would have had to spend some political capital to keep him on as head of the CIA, and Petraeus probably isn’t worth the cost. Perhaps Petraeus is a democrat and took this calculation under consideration. Or maybe he’s just a good soldier and temporarily laid down his political life for the President.

Just to add to the ongoing operatics, I read that his wife is "more than furious."
    Thanks for the I Puritani
    As usual a balanced judgement. I think I read somewhere that Petaeus was a Republican although I don't know if that is true, I also read that Gen. McChrystal voted for Obama in 2008 as did Powell (and since), so we should not assume Generals are Republicans. I also think you must be right about public attitudes -so I guess maybe Americans are not so Puritan after all, and I am wrong (but I still prefer Bellini).

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    ...but I still prefer Bellini).
    Me too.
    To all my overseas friends, I'll be checking in less often this week. Driving to my parent's house for Thankgiving. I'll have a bite of turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce thinking of you.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

And to you also Trish. It's a better Thanksgiving than it might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Me too.
    To all my overseas friends, I'll be checking in less often this week. Driving to my parent's house for Thankgiving. I'll have a bite of turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce thinking of you.
    Enjoy the break Trish, and I extend this to all the Americans whatever it is you are doing for Thanksgiving.

awww! i was hoping it was about the opera

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by princesa View Post
    awww! i was hoping it was about the opera
    There is a thread for this which RobertLouis started up a while ago if you want to join in with your thoughts and preferences (don't be shy!)

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/sho...lassical+music