Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Wins!

I <3 Boobs + Blowjobs Platinum Poster RallyCola's Avatar

Default Re: Obama Wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Reflections View Post
    You are correct, I haven't offered up any ideas on how to improve or change our system but as far as why I don't like our system my opinion has never changed.

so....can you provide a differentiated argument that doesn't depend on itself? first you said dems and repubs are the same. then you said our system sucks. then you said that because they are the same our system sucks. which is it? the chicken or the egg?

if you are so inclined...please provide reasons...
    1) why dems and repubs are the same
    2) why our system sucks other than them being the same

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Let's face it...some women just look better with their clothes ON

Quote Originally Posted by RallyCola View Post
    so....can you provide a differentiated argument that doesn't depend on itself? first you said dems and repubs are the same. then you said our system sucks. then you said that because they are the same our system sucks. which is it? the chicken or the egg?

I wouldn't say that your system sucks , as such, but when the founding fathers designed the bicameral system with its inbuilt checks and balances on executive power, it's unlikely that they foresaw the situation which exists now and ran for some time under Clinton, ie. a virtual sclerosis of government which does much more than place checks on the office of president. With the house yet again under the control of a bunch of recalcitrant buffoons who will stop at nothing to prevent Obama enacting anything at all, the governmental process simply grinds to a halt and meanwhile the economy slides inexorably towards the fabled fiscal cliff. Let's hope that this time around Obama takes the gloves off and shames these neanderthals into acting responsibly at long last and not like spoiled kids who aren't getting their own way.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

my wife and i are both registered democrats however i will first concede that US and UK definitions of "liberal" differs substantially.

So, while I cannot impress upon anyone else what a bleeding heart liberal is, I can tell you that my wife embodies my definition. She is the type of liberal that puts her fingers in her ears whenever any republican speaks and could easily be confused for a marxist because she likes large expansive federally funded progams
    Sounds like she's more to the left than I am, so I guess you're right lol. I'm happy to debate with conservatives in the UK, but I think I'd probably resort to violence with some of the taliban tendency in the GOP.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

That is not a chicken or egg statement since them being the same actually does suck. Im not a student of politics nor will i pretend to be but I do know what I see and I see two parties run by corporations that only see us as dollar signs. While they my differ on the few issues that the for profit media covers it is the ones that aren't up for debate that they agree on that are the problem. With so few real differences between them people just argue over silly thing that don't really matter at the end of the day. We the people seem to gladly look the other way and smile while they line their pockets with cash and infringe on our civil liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    Now we get another 4 years of Congress stonewalling him on everything.
    Don't think so. If the GOP tries that again it will be the end of that party and they know it.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Escalade View Post
    http://whitepeoplemourningromney.tumblr.com/

Boo hoo. Stop alienating half the country and try working with the democrats. Those same folks you want out of your party do more than you think to keep this country going....like give birth to children. It was YOUR party's policies and your stubbornness to compromise that's holding us down.
    If Mitt Romney and the GOP had won the election and OnMyKnees, Faldur or one of the other Republicans here had posted something mocking black people I think some people - maybe a lot - would have felt it was way outta line.

I share 100 per cent your euphoria at the re-election of Obama. And I've attacked the racists in here over and over - and pointed up the racist element of the GOP's strategy. I agree that the GOP tactic have policies and stubborness that is holding the US down.

This was an important election and an important win. And Obama is, of course, far more than just another president. His importance as the first African American to achieve the highest office in the US is historic.

But i think your post was rather inappropriate. A massive white vote also went to "our" man (I put "our" because, of course, as a Brit, i can't vote.)

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    If Mitt Romney and the GOP had won the election and OnMyKnees, Faldur or one of the other Republicans here had posted something mocking black people I think some people - maybe a lot - would have felt it was way outta line.

I share 100 per cent your euphoria at the re-election of Obama. And I've attacked the racists in here over and over - and pointed up the racist element of the GOP's strategy. I agree that the GOP tactic have policies and stubborness that is holding the US down.

This was an important election and an important win. And Obama is, of course, far more than just another president. His importance as the first African American to achieve the highest office in the US is historic.

But i think your post was rather inappropriate. A massive white vote also went to "our" man (I put "our" because, of course, as a Brit, i can't vote.)
    I think Willie simply posted the link, Prospero, and it's that which talks about white people. And insofar as the neanderthal tea party faction is exclusively white, the narrow definition of those mourning Romney's defeat isn't wrong either.

However, you're also quite correct to emphasise the broad coalition of interests, minorities and ethnic groups who united to to vote Obama in for another four years.

What's most disappointing and disturbing is that all that's come from the GOP apologists so far has essentially ignored the demographic truth and tends to suggest that they will drive their party even further into the political wilderness in pursuit of their curious mix of religious fundamentalism, intolerance, paranoia and hate.

That's reflected in the few comments from the right that have appeared here so far, ranging from the incoherent to paranoid conspiracy theory. The electorate looked at what you had to offer, didn't like it and voted for something else. Get over it and move on after thinking about the direction you're heading in and whether it's right for your party or for the US

They're talking to themselves and ignoring reality. We can only hope that somewhere in there are wiser heads who can halt the rightward rush that began under Nixon and his personal brand of paranoia.

And in the meantime, think about your country and its needs and work WITH your President.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Yes - I was referring to the link.

On the Republican response, the more thinking right wingers here are, by and large, mute right now. The idiots are in exile or posting gibberish.

But the US nation has a tough battle ahead. I wish them well - all of them whatever their race or religion. Time to get together and let the differences go.

I liked the fact Romney called for a bipartisan approach in his concession speech. But Boehner already signalled that the obduracy of the House is likely to remain unchanged when he called for co-operation but also demanded tax cuts. Business as usual.

And of course Trump called for a revolution. lol

I <3 Boobs + Blowjobs Platinum Poster RallyCola's Avatar

someone should punch trump in the head until their hand breaks then take pictures and show the world what his head really looks like without a team of hairdressers to fix it with silly putty.

Let's face it...some women just look better with their clothes ON

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

That's why I posted the link...to show its a party of exclusion.

And yes, had Obama lost I would have eaten crow. But since his party welcomed ALL races, nationalities and such, the chances of him losing were narrowed down, especially against a challenger like Romney. His party is willing to work with everyone; Romney's party...well, click the link.

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.