Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Professional Poster BluegrassCat's Avatar

Default Re: Mass Shooting at DK premiere in CO!

Quote Originally Posted by Faldur View Post
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria, Criminologist in 1764. -Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Lulz..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abe.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	487551  

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Guy View Post
    There we go. The ad hominem attack. 'Comic book fantasies.' 'Irrational.'

I can't possibly raise a good point, which you choose to disagree with by presenting another good point. No, I'm irrational and have comic book fantasies. That must be it.

There can't possibly be good things and bad things about 'open carry' as compared to 'concealed carry'. Of course not. You must be right. About everything. You must be.
    Your recent response is nothing but an ad hominem attack! I see no arguments given whatsoever. Let me repeat my response to the assertion that "'open carry' is just plain foolish" and that banning concealed carry amounts to a virtual ban of all firearms.

"Banning concealed carrying leaves a hell of a lot dangerous things you can still do. It's nowhere near a virtual banning of all guns. If you want to carry a gun in public have the balls to carry it in the open so that everyone is aware of the risk they take by being in your proximity and so everyone can see the orientation of the barrel.

Bringing a gun into a public area is an infringement on our general right to a safe public space. If you're going to bring a hazardous instrument into a playground, a tennis court, a store and thereby increase our risk of injury, then at the very least let us know: display your piece. Why is that so unreasonable? I know, I know...you have this fantasy that all the bad guys will then know who is carrying and take them out first. Comic book fantasies are generally not a good basis of rational thought."

Sorry you didn't like the part about comic book fantasies...but I thought I counter that tired old argument about bad guys taking you out first 'cause they spied your weapon before you had a chance to make it.

Last edited by trish; 07-25-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Just because I'm telling you this story doesn't mean that I'm alive at the end of it.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

BTW, let's quit making fun of the Brit members here for being Brits. They are our one true ally and call shit the way they see it. Wrong or right. There's so much cultural overlap I don't see the point in condescending them as if they don't know 'how things are' over here across the pond.

From my experience most of them are more informed about life in the States than vice versa, and if one of them notices there happens to be a steaming pile of shit in the middle of my living room, it would be to my advantage not to step in it.

That said, we have too many guns in this country period.
    And I do agree with much of Kitty's politics but I still don't think we are on the doorstep of the 2nd American Revolution.

We need political reform, not a violent insurrection.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Re the two quotes in sequence:

1) was not quoted by Jefferson, they are words that were underlined in his copy of Beccaria's book On Crimes and Punishments (1674)

2) Jefferson never said or wrote The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -the quote was unknown before 2007, ref: Matt Carson, On a Hill They Call Capitol: A Revolution is Coming (Carsons Publishing, 2007), p131.

Note, to labour this point again, that the 2nd Amendment refers to 'People' not 'Persons', ie a collective of persons, not individuals.
    That's a good one and typical.

Name:	abe.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	487553  

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Im curious to know how many people have actually prevented street robbery my felons armed with guns because they are also carrying weapons? Anyone got any intelligent info on that - rather than the line that just goes 'i carry a gun to stop being the victim of violent crime."

Similarly how many armed burglars have been shot by householders in the US defending their property?
    Back in 2009 I prevented a neighbor from being beaten to death by her boyfriend. How did I do it, you might ask. I kindly informed him that if he didn't get off her, I would blow his f#cking head off.

Just because I'm telling you this story doesn't mean that I'm alive at the end of it.

hmmmm

Name:	abe.2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	487555  

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    hmmmm
    This is the trouble with the internet

Name:	up next bigotry.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	487558  

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by loren View Post
    Are these two being sarcastic or just exhibiting the skills in deception they perform with admittedly clever showmanship on stage? The Continental Army commanded by Washington fought a British army -not a British militia, and the militia referred to in the clip are those which had existed in states (eg in Connecticut) for decades before the revolution even began! And also, People, where I come from, is the Plural form of the word Person, and the structure of the sentence, pauses and all, begins with a reference to Militias because that is what the Amendment is about. Simple really.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

+1 Stavros!!!