Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Default Re: If You're John Laurinaitis, What Would You Be Ordering Teddy Long To Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    I agree. I'd be more apt to purchase a UFC PPV than a Boxing PPV. I think the UFC markets itself pretty well in the US. Any good MMA from Japan these days? Here's an old favorite of mine.

Oh man Frye vs Takayama, that's a great one. The sport has evolved allot since then and that was just a fun brawl but it's one of my favorites of all time. Don Frye was like Magnum PI on steroids lol. He's a great character even today.

No All great MMA is being fought here in the states now. Well I shouldn't say that because the UFC is a traveling circus but I mean it's based here. UFC bought out Pride which was the other best org and based in Japan. Now they replaced it with a org called Dream but it's not much of nothing because everyone (almost) worth their weight heads to the UFC for the bigger bucks and more reliability. Allot of those Japan orgs were infamous for not paying their fighters what they said or at all and also being run behind the scenes by the Yakuza.

There is a free UFC card on tonight actually on Fuel TV. Pretty decent card for free. If you have fuel and some time, check it out.

5 Star Poster south ov da border's Avatar

Default Re: If You're John Laurinaitis, What Would You Be Ordering Teddy Long To Do?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    No I've almost come to hate boxing now. The talent pool is far far less and like someone else said under here, no big names want to fight each other. I personally consider Mayweather the biggest coward to ever get involved with the sport. Oh his publicity team has done a great job of late, throwing blame elsewhere. But if you have kept up with the "Real" behind the scenes stuff, you know it's Mayweather spinning things his way. That dude is scared to death of Pac-man. Not wanting to get in an arguement over that or anything, if someone disagrees. it's not worth my time or anger to get in a heated discussion.

The heyday of boxing is far gone now. The 70 and 80s were it in my opinion. The HW's in the 70's and the middleweights and other lighter classes of the 80's. MMA is the new combat sports king.
    mayweather is good, but he's also a product of marketing. I liked his uncle growing up. The 70's heavyweights and 80's in just about every other division were the best. And de la hoya getting bood- classic . Paq man would give it to him because he throws hard and in bunches. No matter how many punches May dodges and slips it will wear him down. I don't see enough counter opportunities for him to get to manny really. He throws hard either hand. I just don't see May winning that...

too much french fries, not enough shakes...

i have a homie who wants me to check him out in training. I don't wanna do it until I'm at least a few months into BJJ on my own.

and he's got a wrestling background...I'm just not ready for the beatdowns yet LOL

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    Oh man Frye vs Takayama, that's a great one. The sport has evolved allot since then and that was just a fun brawl but it's one of my favorites of all time. Don Frye was like Magnum PI on steroids lol. He's a great character even today.

No All great MMA is being fought here in the states now. Well I shouldn't say that because the UFC is a traveling circus but I mean it's based here. UFC bought out Pride which was the other best org and based in Japan. Now they replaced it with a org called Dream but it's not much of nothing because everyone (almost) worth their weight heads to the UFC for the bigger bucks and more reliability. Allot of those Japan orgs were infamous for not paying their fighters what they said or at all and also being run behind the scenes by the Yakuza.

There is a free UFC card on tonight actually on Fuel TV. Pretty decent card for free. If you have fuel and some time, check it out.
    "Don Frye was like Magnum PI on steroids."

Yep. You see him in the Godzilla movie?
    Might watch that UFC tonight or DVR. Thanks for the heads up.

Rookie Poster

HOLY SHIT this thread blew up in a couple of days!

First of all, I just want to say that Dino is basically just like me when it comes to pro wrestling! EVERYONE you've been talking about in this thread is someone who I am a fan of too! Abdullah, Meng, Backlund, Sullivan, Manny, Jun Kasai, Regal, etc. You have damn good taste in pro wrestling. I hardly ever come across someone who likes just about everyone I do. You have my respect!

Yes, Hawk was the crazy mouthpiece of the Road Warriors with a voice that was pure insanity. Animal was the monster that just seemed to smash everything like the Hulk (it's a well known fact he was legitimately strong as FUCK).

The Goldberg vs Regal situation was interesting. Regal damn near shot on Goldberg. He wasn't expecting that crazy shit so he was struggling to put on a good match. And yes, WCW got mad as hell and fired Regal for that too. Goldberg had some training in real fighting and he was highly athletic and strong, that is true. But, Regal had was more legit experience on the mat than Goldberg, and he had some VERY solid training in old school submission grappling at Billy Robinson's gym. The man has real grappling skill and you don't want to shoot on someone like that, period. Regal certainly was not weak, he was in great shape, and he's an obvious heavyweight so he's certainly not small and he has some weight on him. If they had a straight up submission fight for real, Regal would hurt Goldberg. Highly skilled smaller men can immobilize, counter, strangle, or bend something the way it's not supposed to bend when going against less skilled big strong aggressive men in a matter of seconds with proper technique that doesn't even involve the use of raw strength. So think what Regal would do to Goldberg. I've had some training in that type of submission wrestling, and MMA, for a few years (been a bit sporadic, but I do it when I'm able to; I'm also a huge fan of boxing and it's history, I know a lot about fighters from the early 1900s and back into the bareknuckle era) so I've had a chance to experiment with some moves and have them performed on me to see that that shit is not to be fucked with LOL.

Big Japan has a long history of being very over the top and having high risk, dangerous matches. The guys who do that I have a tremendous amount of respect for, but I also wonder what the FUCK is going through their minds. I guess they're just doing it for the fans, because they're just looking in the mirror and saying "fuck you" to themselves. I love Japanese wrestling though. Their regular matches tend to be very serious and stiff compared to matches from other parts of the world. Depending on who's in there it can look like a borderline MMA or shoot match instead of something that's NOT full contact. They strike and slam each other to the point of blurring the boundaries of what's full contact and what's orchestrated. The amount of physical and mental shape you have to be in to operate at that high of a level and still do a good ass match week after week after fucking week while rarely getting a serious injury...and doing that shit for YEARS...can't get enough praise. Even more so for the guys who do the extreme bloody matches. The pain tolerance and bravery you have to have is something that the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to handle, and most couldn't even handle a regular match let alone something that involved tables and barbed wire. They just basically beat the living shit out of each other, and say "hey man, good match, I think they liked that shit haha". Crazy ass shit.

Jun Kasai has some problems LOL...

I happen to live about 50 miles outside of Charlotte, North Carolina. As you guys probably know there's a ton of American wrestling heritage centered around this area. Lots of older and newer wrestlers are either from this area or trained around here. Barbarian and Ric Flair live in Charlotte along with a lot of others. The Hardy Boys are from Aberdeen which is about as far from where I live to the east as Charlotte is to the west of me. Edge lives in Asheville. Andre the Giant lived in Ellerbe which isn't far from Aberdeen. My mom and aunt were childhood friends with the Junkyard Dog, and I went to high school with his daughter. A friend of mine from another high school I went to said his uncle knows the Barbarian (who was another LEGIT strong as fuck dude lifting several hundred pounds in the weight room! and lmfao at that pic of him with that paper talking shit about Inoki!!! I've never seen that!!!). North Carolina and pro wrestling are inseparable haha!

Oh, and I was in Atlanta a few years ago and I went to Abdullah the Butcher's restaurant. All of the photos that cover the walls are fucking amazing, and the food was pretty good too. I didn't see the man himself, he wasn't around at the time haha. But you know I had my camera with me JUST IN CASE!

Kevin Sullivan was such a good actor he actually made people believe that he was a devil worshiper. I have his shoot interview on DVD. He actually scared wrestlers and fans alike lmfao.

Speaking of Sting and Dick Slater, I heard that they got into a fight over a woman. They both wanted to fuck her so they had a fight LMFAO.

As for Brock Lesnar and MMA...this is my opinion of it. Brock is an outstanding amateur wrestler with a high level of strength and a very strong neck that allows him to take blows to the head without sustaining injury (and that same neck kept him from getting seriously injured or worse when he botched that flip onto Kurt Angle and he fell on his head). But honestly, that's all he had going for himself. Don't get me wrong, it worked and allowed him to get wins. But when he was really put to the test, he just wasn't capable of being a high level competitor. If he couldn't use his amateur wrestling moves and size/strength advantage to slam them down and get on top of them to use ground and pound with his strength and weight, he'd more than likely lose. He just didn't have much else to work with because he hadn't been training for very long, so he was quite 1 dimensional. If he had more mental toughness when it came to taking direct strikes from an opponent, weathering the storm and doing what he does best with taking them down and using ground and pound, he could have done a little better.

I don't even pay attention to boxing. I just look to the past for my boxing. The 1980s to the 1950s, the early 1900s, all the way back to the 1880s! Forget this new stuff. Guys today don't fight as much, and they're given easy fights to keep their record looking nice and pretty instead of being thrown to the wolves on a regular basis like they'd do to them in decades past so they get some grit about themselves and develop willpower and force themselves to fight like they fucking mean it. Some of those guys were so damn tough and tricky they'd be an absolutely frightening sight in today's ring. I'd love to see Jack Dempsey crush the Klitchko brothers (big men made Dempsey fight like he was possessed by a demon because he had a "get them before they get me" killer instinct, and the most brutal beating on video is when he beat huge Jess Willard into oblivion, literally shattering his face in several places and knocking his teeth out), or Joe Gans teach Mayweather what REAL boxing is (give him a lesson straight from the old school and beat that cocky attitude of his right out of him).

Guess who Mike Tyson pattered his fighting style after...

Last edited by urbanchampion; 04-14-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Crazy Monkey FTW

Here watch Kobashi get his ass handed to him by Dr Death. Backdrop Drivaaaaaaaah!!!

Last edited by Dino Velvet; 04-14-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Gaijin Invasion Of All Japan Coming Soon!!!

Two Bulls trying to kill each other! One of the best brawls ever served with extra potatoes!

I worked out with Big Van one time here in an Atlanta gym. Very nice guy. I was in my early 20's, he seemed like he was probably mid 50's if I had to guess. Still waaaay stronger than me lol.

I was also spotted on the bench one time by the Night Stalker. Huge mo-fo right there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	465124