Page 13 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast

Default Re: Occupy Wall Street protest

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    That inequality is just as marked here in the UK, Ben, which makes us different from almost all the other major member states of the EU. And for me it's one of the greatest failings of the Blair and Brown governments that not only did they fail to arrest the trend, it actually accelerated.
    It has been the shift from industrial capital to financial capital.
    America had strong industrial capital in the 50s and 60s and early 70s. Thus creating a big middle class.
    But circa 1973 the economy shifted to finance. Ya know, finance gained control of our government. So, long-term investment went out the door. (In the 50s and 60s 90 percent of investment was long term. And 10 percent speculation. Now it's 10 percent long-term investment. And 90 percent speculation. So, what that translates into is low growth. Both economic and wage growth. And it's designed to shift capital to the very top. So, it's simple policy decisions and who has control of our economy. Just read the conservative American economist Paul Craig Roberts. Yes! A conservative -- ha ha ha! He says we cannot continue to go down this road. That is: offshoring middle class jobs. And he also points out: you offshore your tax base and your economy, too, when you send jobs overseas.)

what law was broken? they are using a 100yr old no mask law.. wtf.. you call that right to restrict?

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden Harley View Post
    So you disagree with a protest as a whole, simply because you REALLY just disagree with a small portion of the protesters?
    Kayden....I don't disagree with the protesters because I don't know what they're protesting. Do they? Hey...as I say I'm cool with civil protest, but it seems to me that everybody with a bitch against somebody found a cool place to hang out for a couple weeks. Some don't like the government, some don't like the corporations, some don't like thier jobs...
    I often wonder if the "soft" me generation of today was around in 1929 and 1930 what this country would look like today. I undersatand lots of folks are having a tough time, but these folks need to do some reading on the Great Depression, or just talk to someone who lived through it, for a reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    I often wonder if the "soft" me generation of today was around in 1929 and 1930 what this country would look like today. I undersatand lots of folks are having a tough time, but these folks need to do some reading on the Great Depression, or just talk to someone who lived through it, for a reality check.
    I agree with that, up to a point. The Depression was a profound and bitter experience for millions, echoing down through the generations to this day, ironically ended in most cases by economies, of necessity, moving on to a war footing.

However, comparisons which tell you folks were worse off 80 years ago are cold comfort when you've lost your home, your job and all the certainties which underpin the American Dream. These people are angry, frustrated and largely disenfranchised. The Republican solutions would only make things tougher and Obama has demonstrated that he hasn't the balls for the really tough battles.

So they've turned their anger towards the proper target - the uncaring, selfish, arrogant, profit-mad, crooked bastards that got you and us into the mess in the first place. If government won't tackle the disgraceful obscenity that is Wall Street and over here the City of London, it's up to the people to take the lead. I wish the protestors all the luck in the world, and let's face it, they're going to need it.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Rookie Poster

When comparing to the great depression, in my opinion it MIGHT NOT be apples with apples so to speak. First off everything was in black in white( just kidding). What people look at in the depression are the bread lines. People waiting in line to get some food is a powerful picture. However, there are around 40 MILLION people on food stamps (estimate) RIGHT NOW. So imagine no food stamps and 40 million people waiting in line for food. Now today might appear much more bleak than then, if I were to give you a black and white photograph and no food stamps ( debit cards).

Yes some people are gaming the system now. But some people were probably gaming the system then in those lines too.

But like you I am unsure what the protesters are truly upset about so its hard for me to agree or disagree with them too.

We are EQUAL in the eyes of the law( or at least should be) but not equal in the results of our endeavors. This coming from a man who pretty much fails so far in his endeavors but loves the opportunity I have each time to "make it" in America. I love the chance I get in this country and hope for more chances until "I make it"

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    I agree with that, up to a point. The Depression was a profound and bitter experience for millions, echoing down through the generations to this day, ironically ended in most cases by economies, of necessity, moving on to a war footing.

However, comparisons which tell you folks were worse off 80 years ago are cold comfort when you've lost your home, your job and all the certainties which underpin the American Dream. These people are angry, frustrated and largely disenfranchised. The Republican solutions would only make things tougher and Obama has demonstrated that he hasn't the balls for the really tough battles.

So they've turned their anger towards the proper target - the uncaring, selfish, arrogant, profit-mad, crooked bastards that got you and us into the mess in the first place. If government won't tackle the disgraceful obscenity that is Wall Street and over here the City of London, it's up to the people to take the lead. I wish the protestors all the luck in the world, and let's face it, they're going to need it.
    Well, lets see where the "movement" is 30 days from now Robert. I suspect that those who are of power would not easily tolerate a genuine challenge to their authority. More than likely the protestors will be used by various factions on both the right and left to institute even more draconian measures hence increasing the control of the ruling elite of just about everything. Stay tuned boppers stay tuned

You're not that much of a cynic, are you Maaarc?

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Rookie Poster

Stay tuned boppers stay tuned[/QUOTE]
    Is that a "Warriors movie quote" can't go wrong with that in my eyes.

Last edited by Kayden Harley; 06-19-2012 at 06:23 PM.

5 Star Poster

my grand father was a bare knuckle prize fighter in the depression and president of the waterside workers union

live with honour