Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default Re: U.S Presidential Election 2016 Not Otherwise Specified

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    i don't know about that. trump has proved that he cannot really manage a business for long (eg. trump university, trump steaks, go trump, trump vodka, trump mortgage, trump magazine or donald trump jr. all failures.
    After reading a little bit about it, I think you're right. Expensive to start up, difficult to manage, takes years to generate profits even if it's done well. He doesn't have the management skill to do it...it could be done with his audience, but not by him.

I mean if he actually brought in a team of really talented people and worked with them...eh not his style

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

My greater worry, should Hillary win, is the continuation of obstructionism on the part of the legislative branch. Cruz and McCain have already promised that Republicans will block any and all of Hillary’s Supreme Court Nominees. It is already unprecedented to have blocked (without a vote) Obama’s most recent nominee for over three-hundred days now. The Senate is neglecting its duty to CONSIDER and vote usurping the Constitutional power of the president to appoint judges to the Supreme Court with the ADVICE and CONSENT of the Senate. If the Senate remains red, the Court may remain crippled for the next four years. The Dems NEED to take the Senate.

The House will almost assuredly remain red. I expect all proposals for fixing our Health Care system will die in House. Likely the House will vote fifty more times to overturn Obama Care. Members of the House are already hinting they’ll investigate Hillary’s emails again. The Dems NEED to win more down-ticket races. Hillary NEEDS a mandate.

Trump will not lose gracefully. My biggest worry is his gun-toting fans may take things into their own hands. We’ll see more Bundy-like take overs of Federal Wildlife preserves, more racism, more alt-right and neo-nazi activity all spurred on by Trump’s tweets and whatever new Palinesque media venue (Breitbart TV?) he’ll find for himself.

The GOP is not dying; it’s transforming - into something very ugly. It’s been transforming ever since Obama was elected (a black president President - OH MY - can’t be one of us - must be a Kenyan with anti-colonialist politics) and teabaggers started carrying guns into townhall meetings where citizens were asked to give their input on what they would like to see in a federal healthcare system. Remember the signs that read, “Keep UR Govt Mits Off My Medicare.”

Someday in the near future, some Caligula from this darkly devolving GOP is going to make it to the White House. I just hope he doesn’t usher in the next Dark Age.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Trump will not lose gracefully. My biggest worry is his gun-toting fans may take things into their own hands.
    except do you think a guy (or guys) like this can hit a still target? especially when that target has secret service agents around.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan-Bowman-612x412.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	975489

even the last guy that tried couldn't get it done and only just recently got parole. anyone know who john hinkley jr. is voting for or will he sit this one through?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    except do you think a guy (or guys) like this can hit a still target? especially when that target has secret service agents around.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan-Bowman-612x412.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	975489

even the last guy that tried couldn't get it done and only just recently got parole. anyone know who john hinkley jr. is voting for or will he sit this one through?
    No I don't think threats of assassination will be any higher for Hillary than for Obama, but I do fear more guns on display at protests, counter-protests and Bundy-like occupations - these things don't always start out with the intent of violence, but they can escalate to that pretty quickly. Polling officials are already fearful there may be violence at the polling places during this election - Trump and telling his followers to go to polls and make sure there are no shenanigans, "You know what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying." I'm afraid I do know what he's saying.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Silver Poster

oh you mean like joe walsh recently threatened/said?

i think what these yokels never take into account is how outnumbered and out armed they are. it's the whole tell don't show mentality

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    The comparison with Brexit must be lost on most Americans anyway as I doubt they even know what the EU is.
    Seems a bit smug. It's not that we don't know what the EU is (very similar to the original American Articles of Confederation that got tossed in the round file during the constitutional convention because it was an unsustainable system), we just don't care. Been there done that.

There's nothing going on in the US that even remotely compares to Brexit. Well... except for all the reactionary hysteria. We have Trump leading the crazy charge here. But Brexit actually won over there. We'll see how this shakes out in the days ahead. I'm thinking this just may a turning point in the relationship between the voters and the media coverage. Hope so.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    Seems a bit smug. It's not that we don't know what the EU is (very similar to the original American Articles of Confederation that got tossed in the round file during the constitutional convention because it was an unsustainable system), we just don't care. Been there done that.

There's nothing going on in the US that even remotely compares to Brexit. Well... except for all the reactionary hysteria. We have Trump leading the crazy charge here. But Brexit actually won over there. We'll see how this shakes out in the days ahead. I'm thinking this just may a turning point in the relationship between the voters and the media coverage. Hope so.
    Not smug at all. You are intelligent and well-informed, but many of your fellow Americas are not probably because, as you indicate, they don't care. A Gallup poll, 2004 to be fair, discovered 77% of Americans do not know what the EU is or does. Another reason my remarks are not smug is that on our side, I doubt 77% of British citizens can accurately describe how the US President is elected, or name a single Senator or Congressional Representative. And it is when you realise those 77% -on whichever side of the pond they live- make up most of the people voting that you worry about the future

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Not smug at all. You are intelligent and well-informed, but many of your fellow Americas are not probably because, as you indicate, they don't care. A Gallup poll, 2004 to be fair, discovered 77% of Americans do not know what the EU is or does. Another reason my remarks are not smug is that on our side, I doubt 77% of British citizens can accurately describe how the US President is elected, or name a single Senator or Congressional Representative. And it is when you realise those 77% -on whichever side of the pond they live- make up most of the people voting that you worry about the future
    Case in point. I thought the European Union was formed in the 1990s' after the fall of Communism. Come to find its roots date to back to after the second world war.

Silver Poster

trump suggested we cancel the elections and give him the presidency. i actually like that idea of repealing democracy and making him commander-in-chief.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    counter-protests and Bundy-like occupations
    no need to fret- turns out it's totally cool for us white guys to do "bundy-like occupations"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...027-story.html