Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default Re: U.S Presidential Election 2016 Not Otherwise Specified

Here is the political ad of the election.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Born of a broken man, but not a broken man
    Born of a broken man, never a broken man

Latrodectus mactans

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    ..., I doubt 77% of British citizens can accurately describe how the US President is elected....

Can Americans? They should explain in great detail to me until I fully understand. On the condition that I explain the rules of Cricket to them. Then let's see what is complicated.

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by martin48 View Post
    Can Americans? They should explain in great detail to me until I fully understand. On the condition that I explain the rules of Cricket to them. Then let's see what is complicated.
    Cricket has been played in the US since the 18th century and the Staten Island Cricket Club is one of the oldest in the world, though these days it is mostly played by immigrants (and descendants) from the Caribbean -you may have read Joseph O'Neills's novel Netherland (Pantheon, 200-eight) of whose plot the NYT review noted-

The book’s second story line, and perhaps its more resonant one, is about the solace Hans finds in the vibrant subculture of cricket in New York, where he is among the few white men to be found on the hundreds of largely West Indian teams in the city, teams that fan out, in the hazy summertime, across scrabby, lesser-known public parks

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/bo.../Garner-t.html

Maybe 77% of Caribbean origin Americans do know the rules of Cricket. Is that satisfactory?

Easy.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I think I'm beginning to understand what Deepak Chopra's been saying all these years!

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Silver Poster

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Donald J. Trump might be in love with American Indian voters, his declared love for India however sounds hollow given the attacks he has made on foreigners taking the American jobs he is going to 'repatriate' at the expense of...er...the Tata Group and other Indian conglomerates. Tata was founded in 1868 and is the largest industrial conglomerate in India, it also runs a consultancy service which the Trump claims is linked to the Clinton campaign.

Apparently Mr Trump doesn't in fact love Indians, or not all of them, as his campaign team argued-
    "HCL and Tata are responsible for the layoffs of workers from Disney , Southern California Edison, Northeast Utilities, Xerox, University of California, Siemens, and countless others," it added
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst

Meanwhile the prospect of a Trump Presidency has led to a fall in the value of shares in India IT giant Infosys-

Concern around the US election had focused partly on concerns that Donald Trump, if elected, could introduce policies to restrict companies’ use of Indian IT contractors: for example, imposing high minimum pay levels for skilled foreign workers in order to encourage hiring of local people. Companies could also be deferring projects involving outsourcing in order to avoid criticism, he added, noting the heated rhetoric on the subject during the campaign.

https://www.ft.com/content/a354488c-...34b78Northeast Utilities, Xerox, University of California, Siemens, and countless others," it added

Last edited by Stavros; 10-29-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Indians don't take jobs. They buy motels.

Gold Poster

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/op...one-share&_r=0

Possible Hatch Act violation by Comey.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Comey's underlings in the FBI felt betrayed when he dropped the email investigation against Hillary. He felt betrayed by the evidence which never accumulated to anything he could act upon. He disappointed himself, his party and it all added to his longtime hatred of the woman who threatens his long held conservative ideals. He gave in to the pressure from without and within. As a result he may come under pressure of an investigation of his own actions: Is he attempting to use his position in the FBI to influence an election? Poor James Comey is under so much pressure from so many different directions, I don't believe he's even in control of himself anymore.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.