Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Donald Trump: Political Intolerance

Too many people confuse freedom of speech with some nonexistent right of impunity. Speech is an act, and actions have consequences. The concept of fighting words has been upheld by the courts. Anyone can speak, and anyone can be shouted down or just ignored. That's other people exercising their free speech. There's no such thing as a right to be heard, except in court when you're being accused. There used to be an equal time rule for the public airwaves, but that was removed in the '80s by executive fiat.

There's also confusion about rights in regard to personal status. Citizens of the US have some specific rights and privileges, but basic rights are held by all people within the jurisdiction of the US, regardless of status. That distinction is spelled out in the 14th Amendment, in section 1, under the due process and equal protection clauses.

I really wish that the people who whine about the Constitution would take a few moments out of their oh so busy lives and actually read the document, instead of reciting nonsensical talking points from their cult literature &/or websites. It's not that long. It's an easy read for anyone who's at all literate. The National Archives (NARA.gov) has it available under "Charters of Freedom".

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried
    I really wishthat the people who whine about the Constitution would take a few moments out of their oh so busy lives and actually read the document, instead of reciting nonsensical talking points from their cult literature &/or websites. It's not that long. It's an easy read for anyone who's at all literate. The National Archives (NARA.gov) has it available under "Charters of Freedom".
    They only care about the first and second amendments; every other one is basically moot. They also refuse to comprehend those first two amendments correctly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	947094

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Ben in LA; 07-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.

I'm convinced his a plant by the Clinton camp, to assure her success.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Thinking back on the GOP clown cars filled with presidential candidates over the past few cycles, I'm pretty sure he's the end result of a rather short and nasty de-evolution of Republican electorate accelerated by their insipid devotion to their inbred, monocultural, infotainment news media.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

I'll know if he got paid well, just a short time after she's elected, he'll prosper....