Page 94 of 224 FirstFirst ... 44848990919293949596979899104144194 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Thought for the Day

Quote Originally Posted by holzz View Post
    unpopular opinions - mental health treatment is bullshit because they try and reinforce conservative conformity. by merely being on this site, most professionals reckon we're "ill". they can go fuck themselves.
    If I take issue with this claim, it is because of the two people I know who work in mental health, both would say that their priority is to prevent a patient or a client from harming themself or other people.

4 out of 4 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Psychiatric illnesses cause the person suffering from them enormous distress. People with these disorders often seek treatment not because the mental health field pathologizes difference but because the disorders interfere with daily life and impair functioning. This is true for all of the recognized neuroses and psychoses from panic disorder to social anxiety disorder to depression to bipolar disorder and its subtypes and finally schizophrenia. A schizophrenic hallucinates and/or has delusions, which are not merely differences in personality but a qualitative difference in the way they experience reality.

It's true that if someone is eccentric a layperson might ask what mental health condition afflicts them, but a psychologist or psychiatrist might say, "Nothing." Being different is not a disorder.

There is some discussion about whether what holzz is saying is valid in the case of personality disorders, though many of these personality types involve very severe emotional limitations that are destructive to other people.

4 out of 4 members liked this post.
    Last edited by broncofan; 05-06-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    If I take issue with this claim, it is because of the two people I know who work in mental health, both would say that their priority is to prevent a patient or a client from harming themself or other people.
    No, it's not.
    It's about enforcing their morals.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...sions-pandemic

Odd how Europe is the most affected from this.
    The lizard shape-shifters hate Europeans, seemingly.

No, it's not.
    It's about enforcing their morals.
    Anorexia kills- so what is your moral judgment- go ahead and die because I/society cannot impose my conservation of life ideology, Christian or otherwise, on you? Anorexia is not a normal condition, its treatment seeks to return the person affected to a condition of life in which whtever the source of their problem is, it is not expressed through starvation. It does not mean that the person concerned must change the way they dress, the music they listen to, their voting preference. They can be as eccentric as they want to be, but in order to be they must be alive.
    Szasz and Laing make interesting reading, but may not always offer the best practical therapy for specific cases. And have you not in your posts, made a moral judgment?

it's all a conspiracy theory.
    what defines a "normal" person?
    they actively disregard their own practices, and just use their own personal belief systems.

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org...rus-in-the-uk/

https://www.politico.eu/article/coro...escue-package/

This Africa one is interesting. Most African countries export raw materials. Less Western demand for cocoa, or precious metals, will fuck their economies. It would fuck developed countries with large agro sectors too like the US.

it's all a conspiracy theory.
    what defines a "normal" person?
    they actively disregard their own practices, and just use their own personal belief systems.
    I think you are confusing the difference between 'normal' behaviour and 'manageable' behaviour. Mental health is a mixture of clinical and moral judgment so that that 'this behaviour is not normal', is not as important a statement as 'this behaviour is causing harm to this person, and may harm others'- it is on balance more clinical even though it must contain a moral ingredient because all thought requiring a judgment does. Therapy has the intention of reducing the opportunity for harm, and then making an attempt to understand why harmful behaviour is taking place and seek to manage it so that the person concerned can stop it.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Stavros; 05-07-2020 at 02:57 PM.