Page 192 of 224 FirstFirst ... 92142182187188189190191192193194195196197202 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 2231
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Thought for the Day

Is it outrageous that Representative Santos is a shameless liar, or is it part of the deal now, that an elected politician can tell as many lies as he (or she) can fabricate, and it doesn't matter, and he as sure as hell is hot, will not resign -and his party in the House can't afford to get rid of him in case they lose the election to replace him -??

Every lie disgraced incoming Congressman George Santos has been accused of making, so far (yahoo.com)

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Is it outrageous that Representative Santos is a shameless liar, or is it part of the deal now, that an elected politician can tell as many lies as he (or she) can fabricate, and it doesn't matter, and he as sure as hell is hot, will not resign -and his party in the House can't afford to get rid of him in case they lose the election to replace him -??

Every lie disgraced incoming Congressman George Santos has been accused of making, so far (yahoo.com)
    Yes it is outrageous that the con artist George Santos who is posing as a member of the House Of Representatives is a liar,is under multiple investigations for lying about his credentials resisted calls to resign. The MAGA Party doesn't want to rid of him because they are of losing the election to replace him.

This is not weird so much as what one now expects from the Republican Party -are they being funded by Saudi Arabia? And will that House pass a rule to ensure that men always wear a jacket, and never roll up their shirt sleeves?

"Missouri Democrats slammed their Republican colleagues for a move to impose a stricter dress code on female lawmakers in the state House
    ...Proudie was speaking out against Republican state Rep. Ann Kelley's push to amend the House's formal rules by requiring women to wear a blazer while in the chamber. The GOP-led House later passed slightly amended rules that require female lawmakers to cover their arms but that allows for cardigans and other kinds of jackets,"
    Missouri Republicans pass a rule requiring women to cover their arms in the state House chamber (yahoo.com)

Will the NRA now issue a statement to say that the only thing that can stop a bad six year-old with a gun, is a good six year-old with a gun? When are the men and women who can do so, going to take control of the Gun Madness that America is suffering -and dying from?

Six-year-old Virginia boy’s backpack was searched before he shot his teacher | Virginia | The Guardian

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Will the NRA now issue a statement to say that the only thing that can stop a bad six year-old with a gun, is a good six year-old with a gun? When are the men and women who can do so, going to take control of the Gun Madness that America is suffering -and dying from?

Six-year-old Virginia boy’s backpack was searched before he shot his teacher | Virginia | The Guardian
    They're true believers though. The NRA and a large part of the GOP cannot be convinced that lots of guns lead to more killings and that guns are far less often use successfully in self-defense.

I'm afraid they've gone to this same place with healthcare. Many right-wing pundits openly promote anti-vax views. They may say they don't oppose vaccines generally and just oppose mrna vaccines for covid which they claim pose a special danger (there's no evidence of this). But the evidence they use to support this claim is very similar to how anti-vax propagandists have attacked other vaccines for infectious diseases. When NFL player Damar Hamlin was hit in the chest with a helmet and his heart stopped (he suffered commotio cordis), most rational people were hoping the medics had administered cpr quickly enough and that he'd survive (thankfully he did). Yet there were some right-wing pundits saying stuff like "how often do we see a perfectly healthy 25 year old have his heart stop. I wonder if he was vaccinated."

They've been doing this every time someone young dies, as though every year a certain percentage of younger people don't die of cardiac arrest. So they are extremists when it comes to guns but it's fairly new that they have really embraced the antivaxxer movement, another extremist movement that will lead to more deaths, young and old.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

If I'm former Presidents Obama, George W, Clinton, and hell even Carter, I'm going through my various residences and offices and making sure I don't have any classified documents hanging around. I would hate for Merrick Garland to have to come and hold another press conference announcing he is appointing a special counsel to investigate another former president and how they handled classified information.

filghy2 Silver Poster

I'm sure inadvertent mishandling of classified documents is quite common. Trump wasn't raided because he took home a few documents he forgot about. He was raided because he refused to return them all despite many requests, and tried to hide some of them.

The general public probably does not realise that government bureaucracy produces a massive number of classified documents, and most of them don't present much risk to national security. Officials have a tendency to overclassify. Often it's just something that might be slightly embarassing or invite inconvenient questions if it appeared in the media. I know this because I used to work there.

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    If I'm former Presidents Obama, George W, Clinton, and hell even Carter, I'm going through my various residences and offices and making sure I don't have any classified documents hanging around. I would hate for Merrick Garland to have to come and hold another press conference announcing he is appointing a special counsel to investigate another former president and how they handled classified information.
    All those lawyers that attend Presidents and Vice-Presidents, and who know that every scrap of paper must be handed over to the Archives. It may be a case of the men being sloppy, but at the same time, why shift something into the garage if you know its not supposed to be there? Did either of the two men ever carry the boxes themselves? I doubt it.

Now see this through the sectarian prism that is distorting US politics, where in time, if it happens, the Impeachment of Trump will be 'expunged', the attempt to overturn the election on Jan 6 become a public holiday, anyone convicted pardoned, Critical Race Theory banned throughout the country, George Santos to run for the Presidency, and the Kennedy family subject to an historic investigation, and why not?

And to add to my post above, this comment from Ron Johnson-

"The Wisconsin senator Ron Johnson refused to say Republicans planning investigations of Hunter Biden for profiting from his connection to the presidency should also investigate Jared Kushner, Donald Trump’s son-in-law and adviser who secured a $1.2bn loan from Qatar while working in the White House.
    “I’m concerned about getting to the truth,” Johnson insisted. “I don’t target individuals.”"
    Republican targeting Hunter Biden says: ‘I don’t target individuals’ | Republicans | The Guardian

What is an individual? Maybe American English is different from what we speak over here, innit?

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

You know how when you leave a job you're given a termination checklist that you have to go through and turn in to HR when you're done. I think we need to do the same thing for Presidents and Vice Presidents before they leave office. Just to make sure they don't have any classified documents accidentally packed away with their coffee mugs, plants, and various other items they have accumulated over the years.