Page 132 of 224 FirstFirst ... 3282122127128129130131132133134135136137142182 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 2233

Default Re: Thought for the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    Indeed but a crazy with a machine gun can do a lot more damage than a crazy with a knife, so your argument, which isn't exactly an original one, is pure bollocks...
    Yeah , but we may need our Mack 10s for when the Zombie invasions comes ,right?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Terribly Mysterious Veteran Poster Nick Danger's Avatar

So what you're basically admitting is the USA, a supposedly progressive and forward looking nation, is actually too backward to effectively implement gun control measures that have been successful in many other countries?
    A supposedly progressive and forward looking nation? What planet do you live on? The USA is 100% at the mercy of special interests and the media, whether those interests are taxes, personal freedoms, employment, housing, marriage, guns, war, peace, sex, drugs, life, or death.

The American public can no longer differentiate between fiction and reality. We were recently presented with a months-long series of "PEACEFUL PROTESTS" by liberals that nearly brought the country to its knees and created billions of dollars in property damage and medical costs in the wake of countless acts of violence, mayhem, sedition, and vandalism. Then, we were presented a solitary "RIOT" by conservatives that ultimately resulted in two broken light fixtures, a dozen or so cracked or broken windows, and some grafitti.

The USA is neither progressive or forward looking, we are a high-functioning horseshit factory thanks to our corrupt media and incompetent government.

Indeed but a crazy with a machine gun can do a lot more damage than a crazy with a knife, so your argument, which isn't exactly an original one, is pure bollocks...
    Are you really looking for an original argument against gun control? This national conversation has been ongoing since the 1970's. The logic of either side of the argument is the same as it ever was. There's nothing more to say, Laphro, it's all been said, documented, spun, unspun, debated, re-debated, shelved, unshelved, and printed on bumper stickers at this point.

We are number one. All others are number two or lower.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

The American public can no longer differentiate between fiction and reality. Then, we were presented a solitary "RIOT" by conservatives that ultimately resulted in two broken light fixtures, a dozen or so cracked or broken windows, and some grafitti.
    Imagine saying that the sum total of damage caused by the insurrection is a couple of broken light fixtures and not thinking you reveal something about your disregard for human life. Did Officer Sicknick cease to matter because he wanted to prevent an attempt to overturn a democratic election? Was arresting Republicans that were trying to murder Pence a partisan act that makes his death irrelevant? And of the countless police officers who were injured? Do they not matter either? Does it not matter that someone planted pipe bombs at the capitol or that a man was caught parking a truck full of napalm?

Reporting the truth doesn't make the media corrupt just because you don't like it. Trying to extort the Secretary of State of Georgia to overturn an election is corrupt no matter how much you do like it. The person who has lost touch with reality is you and your cult.

What you offer is not a critique of your country's policies which people sometimes accuse those on the left of lacking patriotism for making. Instead you hide a visceral loathing of this country's political system, of most of its citizens and a desire to replace our government with an authoritarian cult of personality. How disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Imagine saying that the sum total of damage caused by the insurrection is a couple of broken light fixtures and not thinking you reveal something about your disregard for human life. Did Officer Sicknick cease to matter because he wanted to prevent an attempt to overturn a democratic election? Was arresting Republicans that were trying to murder Pence a partisan act that makes his death irrelevant? And of the countless police officers who were injured? Do they not matter either? Does it not matter that someone planted pipe bombs at the capitol or that a man was caught parking a truck full of napalm?

Reporting the truth doesn't make the media corrupt just because you don't like it. Trying to extort the Secretary of State of Georgia to overturn an election is corrupt no matter how much you do like it. The person who has lost touch with reality is you and your cult.

What you offer is not a critique of your country's policies which people sometimes accuse those on the left of lacking patriotism for making. Instead you hide a visceral loathing of this country's political system, of most of its citizens and a desire to replace our government with an authoritarian cult of personality. How disgraceful.
    Okay, Bronco, you want to talk about actual politics now? Because I thought I was talking about riots. I can critique policy all day long but I really don't think anyone here wants to have that conversation at all, and certainly not with me.

I have some concern for Officer Sicknick. But I figured I'd leave off mentioning the 700+ police officers who were killed or injured during the George Floyd protests, and maybe by doing so I could slide on mentioning Officer Sicknick. All these officers were simply doing their jobs. Death and injury are part of it.

The rest of it - the pipe bombs, napalm, whatever - is probably liberal-media bullshit. But in any case, was anything blown up? No.

I'm not even trying to justify the Capitol "Riot." All I'm pointing out is that somehow, it was a RIOT, but when the people who align politically with the leftist media did much worse, the self-same media stood in the burning streets of Minneapolis, right in front of a store that was being looted, and unashamedly called it a "peaceful protest."

You're entirely missing my point. My point is not that Republican riots are better than Democratic riots. My point is that 95% of Americans are not intelligent enough to discern when they are being manipulated by the media, which these days is pretty much 95% of the time. Our democracy has been hijacked by "journalism."

filghy2 Silver Poster

The American public can no longer differentiate between fiction and reality. We were recently presented with a months-long series of "PEACEFUL PROTESTS" by liberals that nearly brought the country to its knees and created billions of dollars in property damage and medical costs in the wake of countless acts of violence, mayhem, sedition, and vandalism. Then, we were presented a solitary "RIOT" by conservatives that ultimately resulted in two broken light fixtures, a dozen or so cracked or broken windows, and some grafitti.
    Far from being an isolated incident, right-wing extremists have been responsible for the great majority of terrorist attacks and plots in the USA in recent years. As at July last year, attacks by right-wing extremists had resulted in 335 deaths since 1994, compared to 22 by left-wing extremists.
    https://www.csis.org/analysis/war-co...-united-states
    https://www.csis.org/analysis/escala...-united-states

The Department of Homeland Security and FBI have both concluded that violent white supremacists constitute the biggest threat to US domestic security. https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...assessment.pdf

Around 93-96% of BLM protests have been peaceful, and most of those killed or injured were protestors.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violen...emima_McEvoy-1
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...h=1bae0dba4de4

Last edited by filghy2; 02-07-2021 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    Far from being an isolated incident, right-wing extremists have been responsible for the great majority of terrorist attacks and plots in the USA in recent years. As at July last year, attacks by right-wing extremists had resulted in 335 deaths since 1994, compared to 22 by left-wing extremists.
    https://www.csis.org/analysis/war-co...-united-states
    https://www.csis.org/analysis/escala...-united-states

The Department of Homeland Security and FBI have both concluded that violent white supremacists constitute the biggest threat to US domestic security. https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...assessment.pdf

Around 93-96% of BLM protests have been peaceful, and most of those killed or injured were protestors.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violen...emima_McEvoy-1
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...h=1bae0dba4de4
    Soooo, in other words, around 4-7% of BLM protests have been violent. I dunno, Flighty, that feels like a high percentage to me.

White supremacy has absolutely nothing to do with conservative politics. White supremacists identify with the Republican Party because the Republican Party does not cater to people based on their race (Republicans are assholes to all equally). It is the obvious of their two choices in a political party; what are they going to do, espouse Affirmative Action? But the Republican Party does NOT identify with white supremacists, in any way, and in fact repudiates them at every opportunity.

Unlike the Democratic Party and its media goon squad, Republican politicians and conservative-slanted broadcasters do not encourage their constitutents to engage in violence. And before you even go there, let's not forget how Donald Trump finished the speech in which the liberal media claims he incited the Capitol Riots - "PEACEFULLY AND PATRIOTICALLY MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD." Funny how that quote never seems to make it into the news coverage.

Sorry Flighty but if you're trying to make a point to me I've missed it. It's incredibly weird to me how liberals are suddenly acting as if they didn't spend the 6 months prior to the election violently tearing this country apart over a counterfeiter who died of a fentanyl overdose. But I guess when you've got nearly the entirety of the nation's media re-writing history as it happens, you can get away with it.

Gold Poster

- "PEACEFULLY AND PATRIOTICALLY MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD." Funny how that quote never seems to make it into the news coverage.
    Is that all he said? Did you know David Duke once said "I don't consider myself a racist." He also said "I'm called a racist but I have respect for the Black people of my country."

*spoiler alert-that's not all David Duke said that's relevant on the subject.

And on the subject of Trump did you know that when somebody spends months spreading conspiracy theories and then gives a speech, the content of that speech shouldn't be boiled down to the most exculpatory line? I'm sure at some level you do know. I'm watching one more episode of Brooklyn 99 and going to bed. My heart's not in this debate right now but I sense there's more to Trump's speech than that one line. Like when he sometimes condemns things and then equivocates and then contradicts his earlier condemnation.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Like when he sometimes condemns things and then equivocates and then contradicts his earlier condemnation.
    It's almost like we didn't hear Trump give a groveling apologetic speech that someone wrote for him as damage control and then get on twitter and started spreading the same poison. Did it ever occur to you that people sometimes say things to cover their ass and then contradict the spirit of it?

It reminds me of the most amusing trick I see by lay lawyers. They will write "no copyright violation intended" while they're violating copyright laws. I took an intellectual property class and I don't remember a thing from it. But I have a feeling that the intent required for a copyright violation is an intent to commit the relevant act (posting a video that is the subject of copyright protection) rather than an intent that it be considered an infraction. It's stuff like this that fools you but explains why briefs written by the worst lawyers in the country are laughed out of court.

You say you have intelligent people on your side. Trump is considered a moron by nearly every professor he had, he likely had someone sit for the SATs for him, and he didn't go to graduate school because it probably would have been harder to bribe his way in. The affluent people in your party are mostly old money, or third generation recipients of their grandpap's dough. But Trump is considered an embarrassment by most educated people and the rest of the world. Good night dude.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

But the Republican Party does NOT identify with white supremacists, in any way, and in fact repudiates them at every opportunity.
    They didn't even vote for Marjorie Taylor Greene to be removed from committee roles for impersonating a klansman. Again, your words are tested against your actions. She literally promoted great replacement theory which has been the catalyst for hate crime murders.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

The USA is neither progressive or forward looking, we are a high-functioning horseshit factory thanks to our corrupt media and incompetent government.
    Or perhaps it's being held back by conspiracy theorist, gun nut jobs who think Joe Public should be allowed to own a tank or an F-22?