Page 114 of 223 FirstFirst ... 1464104109110111112113114115116117118119124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 2227
    Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Default Re: Thought for the Day

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    I think the sight of Rudi's hair dye running with sweat was just as cringe-inducing. Was the aircon not working properly, or is this the sign of a man on the verge of meltdown?
    Rudy-Rambling Patsy-Giuliani bizarre press conference was a sign of a man who is experiencing a meltdown and believes in conspiracy theories.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

When I was a kid, the only 'image' of America I had was from the movies. You know, everyone had a swimming pool, drove Lincolns with horns on the front and women got their tits out at the drop of a hat (Though, thinking back, my movie choices may have been a bit suspect).
    Which has left me confused.
    How can America be *so* liberal and yet so conservative?

Which is a long way of getting around to...Boy, was the internet an eye-opener!...And that's my thought for the day.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    When I was a kid, the only 'image' of America I had was from the movies. You know, everyone had a swimming pool, drove Lincolns with horns on the front and women got their tits out at the drop of a hat (Though, thinking back, my movie choices may have been a bit suspect).
    Which has left me confused.
    How can America be *so* liberal and yet so conservative?

Which is a long way of getting around to...Boy, was the internet an eye-opener!...And that's my thought for the day.
    I was going to say the tits thing may be true in Florida. And not just on spring break.

As an American my disillusionment with my country has grown enormously not just since internet but over the last four years. On any number of things we can watch other countries make different decisions and get better results and we will resist the changes out of enmity or national pride. Your post doesn't just speak to our national myths, or ways we see ourselves that aren't true, but also a lot of regional differences. We find ourselves divided sharply on so many consequential things.

Anyhow, there's lots of good and bad here depending on your preference and where you are. It kind of sucks that when we are bad at something we stick with it (healthcare, gun regulation, criminal justice).

As for Britain, nothing in film or theater prepared me for the fact that there is a great Indian restaurant on every block in London. And no matter which Indian restaurant you try it will be as good or better than Indian food you can get almost anywhere in the U.S. except in NYC. Also, you meet people of every economic and social strata and not just "posh" Brits that we see in our shows (a Fish Called Wanda is probably my favorite movie that plays on national stereotypes and the cultural divide between Americans and Brits).

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

If the US now has a 'lame duck' President, could he be referred to as 'Donald Duck, the Quack in the White House'?

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    If the US now has a 'lame duck' President, could he be referred to as 'Donald Duck, the Quack in the White House'?
    Yes he absolutely can. And Donald Duck The Quack In The White House fits Donald Trump very well.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

Cuomo Defends Trump against ‘Unprofessional’ and ‘Really Biased’ Media

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cuomo-def...134627352.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	232138-1024x685.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	1283704Name:  renderart_d27616ef-b696-4117-a442-db032fa128bf_350x.png
Views: 114
Size:  50.2 KB

Time magazine announced its nominees for the Person of the Year today. Some of them include Governor Cuomo, AOC, Dr. Fauci, BLM activists, and Angela Davis.

There are only two types of people who deserve to win the award this year. Front line healthcare and essential workers. I think they truly went above and beyond the call of duty.

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    Time magazine announced its nominees for the Person of the Year today. Some of them include Governor Cuomo, AOC, Dr. Fauci, BLM activists, and Angela Davis.

There are only two types of people who deserve to win the award this year. Front line healthcare and essential workers. I think they truly went above and beyond the call of duty.
    I would also like to add election poll workers to the list of essential workers.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    I would also like to add election poll workers to the list of essential workers.

I agree with you in both of your posts, but I wonder, is Dolly Parton the most likely to be that person?