Page 3 of 220 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Thought for the Day

A few thoughts on it:
    a) many coffee shops, including well-known chains in the UK have only the one toilet which is used by customers, some have two, one for men one for women, usually if they are larger; aeroplanes and trains just have the one toilet used by all.

b) airports and also some (large) railway stations have toilet facilities for men, women and a third which has a small table to make it easy to change a baby's nappy- a transexual I was travelling instantly chose the baby-changer unit when she needed the loo -and many/most in large facilities also have large stalls for the disabled, so in a sense we already have a 'toilet culture' that can adapt to diverse users.

c) While I can understand why some women would object to a male-to-female transexual using their facilities, assuming they took any notice of it, I am more concerned by those men who seem to think a public toilet is an all-hours sex club where they can jerk off in public and invite another man to share a cubicle.

d) a solution would be for there to be public toilets which are large enough to accommodate diverse users with the essential part being staff who not only keep the place clean but also monitor users, and may also be trained if the user is disabled, an elderly person with dementia or some other manageable issue. The problem is one of the law -should it be a legal requirement on local councils to provide public toilet facilities?- and financial -the UK has lost something like 40% of its public toilets in recent years.

This is an interesting article on it, with additional references to the US situation -
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...public-toilets

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

A few thoughts on it:
    a) many coffee shops, including well-known chains in the UK have only the one toilet which is used by customers, some have two, one for men one for women, usually if they are larger; aeroplanes and trains just have the one toilet used by all.

b) airports and also some (large) railway stations have toilet facilities for men, women and a third which has a small table to make it easy to change a baby's nappy- a transexual I was travelling instantly chose the baby-changer unit when she needed the loo -and many/most in large facilities also have large stalls for the disabled, so in a sense we already have a 'toilet culture' that can adapt to diverse users.

c) While I can understand why some women would object to a male-to-female transexual using their facilities, assuming they took any notice of it, I am more concerned by those men who seem to think a public toilet is an all-hours sex club where they can jerk off in public and invite another man to share a cubicle.

d) a solution would be for there to be public toilets which are large enough to accommodate diverse users with the essential part being staff who not only keep the place clean but also monitor users, and may also be trained if the user is disabled, an elderly person with dementia or some other manageable issue. The problem is one of the law -should it be a legal requirement on local councils to provide public toilet facilities?- and financial -the UK has lost something like 40% of its public toilets in recent years.

This is an interesting article on it, with additional references to the US situation -
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...public-toilets

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

The Mile High Club on a commercial plane, is it a myth or does it really happen ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_high_club
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	941059  

Thanks Stavros , for the neat summation of some of the essential issues and the entertaining /informative article from The Statesman on the history and future of the WC.
    I agree with the article and Stavros that the answer seems to be a unisex ,multiuse and semi private unit . Also , as Stavros noted , monitoring is a critical issue that could be better addressed , especially in places like airports and stadiums by unisex toilet spaces that can be maintained and monitored with minimal personnel.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I didn’t want to politicize the Pulse thread in general discussion anymore I already have; so for lack of a better place I thought I’d make these remarks here.

I haven’t been right since the shooting in Orlando. I haven’t been sleeping well and I feel nauseous whenever I dwell on the topic. My mind wanders and I can’t focus on my work. I am not afraid. But I am deeply disturbed. There is so much hatred in the air right night I can almost touch it. A third of nation is ecstatic about building a wall and having Mexico pay for it! Another third, good and loving people, applaud businesses that refuse to serve gays, or State workers who refuse to issue marriage licenses, or institutions that refuse to let transgender people use a stall in a public restroom.

As it turns out Omar Mateen was less of a radical Islamist than he was a self-hating gay man. Why are so many gay men driven to hate themselves and other gays? When there is so much general animus directed at the LGBT community by self-promoting politicians, religious zealots, bigots and ignorant sectarians, who can be surprised that some young and confused gay men turn that hatred inward?

Just to dispel the illusion that this sort of violence against gays is confined to persons of one faith or one ethnic group only take a look at these guys:

Pastor Steven Anderson
    http://www.towleroad.com/2016/06/ste...erson-orlando/

Pastor Roger Jimenez

I haven’t watched either of these links all the way through, because I get sick viewing them.

I don’t think religion is the problem here. Certainly banning Muslims from entering the country is probably the weakest and most ineffective approach to the problem of violence against gays that anyone has ever suggested - not to mention religious tests are anathema the First Amendment.

What would be an effective curb on all gun violence of this type is a serious assault weapons ban or at least some serious regulation on who can legally buy and own an assault weapon. Perhaps we should allow the FBI to automate their current gun registry. By law it’s all on sheaves and sheaves of paper, because the NRA lobbied against allowing the registry to be computerized. The NRA claims only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun. There was an armed off-duty police officer at the Pulse, but he was not able save forty-nine people from slaughter. My question is, “Why do we let bad guys have guns in the first place?”

The saw Trump the other day accuse Hillary of wanting to get rid of the Second Amendment entirely. Of course neither Hillary nor any other Democrat in office is suggesting any such thing. On the other hand, it seems to me Trump is out to totally gut the First Amendment. He wants a religious test on immigration. He bans news organizations he doesn’t like (most recently the Washington Post) from attending his rallies and press conferences. He wants to open up libel laws against news organizations.

First Amendment, Second Amendment - these are asides. The issue is ignorance and hatred. I know most people here don’t need to be reminded. I just writing for my own peace of mind. But still, I just want to remind people to be open-hearted and open-minded. With others, and with themselves.

5 out of 5 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

P.S. Sorry for the typos.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Gold Poster

As far as defamation laws go, most people only know the standard courts apply for public figures who are suing. The only reason this standard is more exacting than the common law standard is because of the first amendment. The precedent is over fifty years old and was set our in New York Times v. Sullivan. It is unconstitutional for a public figure to be able to successfully sue for defamation unless they show the defamatory (meaning harmful to reputation) statement about them was false and the defendant either knew it was false or was reckless regarding its falsity. I don't even think our courts recognize foreign defamation judgments unless they comply with our first amendment standards.

So good luck for Donald Trump...he does not even know by which branch of government our libel laws are determined. It would be unbelievable if he could appoint someone to the Supreme Court nuts enough to change this precedent. I don't even think any of the current guys on the court would go for it.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    It would be unbelievable if he could appoint someone to the Supreme Court nuts enough to change this precedent. I don't even think any of the current guys on the court would go for it.
    I guess I mean there really isn't a bipartisan split regarding this precedent. I have not heard of too many jurists who think it's controversial or at all inconsistent with their reading of the first amendment.

If killing people was the solution to our problems, we would not have any.

Courageous Republicans won't allow guns at their convention.
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...nvention-guns/

That is some crazy shit ! Imagine 'open carry' at a national political convention !?