Page 100 of 223 FirstFirst ... 50909596979899100101102103104105110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2227
    Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: Thought for the Day

So I guess since the cable news networks are no longer showing the Coronavirus statistics (all except for those who have recovered), the pandemic must be over right?

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    So I guess since the cable news networks are no longer showing the Coronavirus statistics (all except for those who have recovered), the pandemic must be over right?
    I know you're being facetious but I don't watch cable news much so I haven't seen what you're saying. I am happy to see the numbers are definitely improving even as we open up. If you look at 7 day moving averages, deaths nationally have decreased something like 40% per day from our peak.

It's clear as you said that we have to move to our next phase and people aren't going to stay locked in indefinitely. It would be nice to see more people wearing masks as we're all going out in public.

The protests around the country that cable news is probably showing are definitely important. Will be interesting to see whether they bring lasting change in police tactics. Chokeholds and pressing a knee on someone's carotid artery should have no place in restraining people. Yes police have to use force sometimes but I'm seeing a lot of sadistic behavior and abuse of power in the videos that are coming out. Yes, there is vandalism and looting and I'm not defending that, but there's also a lot of senseless policing, from shooting rubber bullets at people for no reason to assaulting protesters.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    I know you're being facetious but I don't watch cable news much so I haven't seen what you're saying. I am happy to see the numbers are definitely improving even as we open up. If you look at 7 day moving averages, deaths nationally have decreased something like 40% per day from our peak.

It's clear as you said that we have to move to our next phase and people aren't going to stay locked in indefinitely. It would be nice to see more people wearing masks as we're all going out in public.

The protests around the country that cable news is probably showing are definitely important. Will be interesting to see whether they bring lasting change in police tactics. Chokeholds and pressing a knee on someone's carotid artery should have no place in restraining people. Yes police have to use force sometimes but I'm seeing a lot of sadistic behavior and abuse of power in the videos that are coming out. Yes, there is vandalism and looting and I'm not defending that, but there's also a lot of senseless policing, from shooting rubber bullets at people for no reason to assaulting protesters.
    I think at this point, the country needs to be opened completely with no restrictions in place. The most vulnerable can continue to shelter in the place and wear masks in public. I think between states being re-opened and the protests, we are probably going to see a spike in the infection rate anyway. I think most hospitals can deal with a surge in patients now. But we need to get people back to work immediately and we need things like sports and recreational activities as stress relievers.

This country can't handle people being out of work and angry at the same time. Its also not fair to business owners who had to see their business first destroyed economically and now physically.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    I think at this point, the country needs to be opened completely with no restrictions in place. The most vulnerable can continue to shelter in the place and wear masks in public. I think between states being re-opened and the protests, we are probably going to see a spike in the infection rate anyway. I think most hospitals can deal with a surge in patients now. But we need to get people back to work immediately and we need things like sports and recreational activities as stress relievers.

This country can't handle people being out of work and angry at the same time. Its also not fair to business owners who had to see their business first destroyed economically and now physically.
    I agree with a lot of what you said and the sentiment behind it. Robert A. George said something similar in a N.Y. Daily News Op-Ed. I didn’t link it because paywalls have come up pretty quickly with that paper in the past.

I don’t think you can lift all restrictions everywhere, since not all places are the same. For instance, New York nursing homes are probably going to be off limits to visitors for some time. This is unfortunate (many folks in nursing homes know they only have a little time left on the planet and not being able to see their relatives is like being in jail), but necessary. Indoor sporting arenas are probably going to be off limits for a while too...the virus spreads better in an enclosed environment. But regular businesses should be allowed to open. There can be common sense restrictions. But this lock down is absolutely crushing many people.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Rude Gurl Professional Poster Yvonne183's Avatar

Oh my, I am so glad that I got my supply of toilet paper before the riots began.

I'm the girl nobody knows until she commits suicide.
    Then suddenly everyone knew me.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    The US seems to have massive problem with police discipline. As this article notes, police involved in these kinds of incidents generally have a long history of complaints against them, which rarely result in any serious punishment. Even when they are dismissed for misconduct I read somewhere that half of them are eventually reemployed somewhere.
    https://theconversation.com/police-o...itizens-139709

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Does anyone here believe Officer Chauvin can get a fair trial? The legacy of Rodney King, and 'the Zimmerman paradox' lie in wait along the road, to mug anyone who thinks justice is at the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Does anyone here believe Officer Chauvin can get a fair trial? The legacy of Rodney King, and 'the Zimmerman paradox' lie in wait along the road, to mug anyone who thinks justice is at the end of it.
    Can he get a fair trial, Yes. Will he be found guilty, that's a different story.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Defund the police...hmm... can anyone on this site that agrees with that sentiment, please explain how it would work in the real world, and what would effectively take its place.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    Defund the police...hmm... can anyone on this site that agrees with that sentiment, please explain how it would work in the real world, and what would effectively take its place.
    I want to see justice done in George Floyd case too. But this is one of the problems I have with the progressive moment. Police misconduct and brutality should be dealt with. There are parts of the criminal justice system that needs to be reformed . But I still I want to live in a society where there are laws, there are people to enforce them, and those who are found guilty in a court of law are made to be punished for their crimes.

I just don't understand how some of them think that making sure the police don't abuse their power means they also can't do their job either.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.