Page 157 of 223 FirstFirst ... 57107147152153154155156157158159160161162167207 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 2227
    Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: Thought for the Day

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    When I say that I sometimes see antisemitism in the Pro-Palestine movement I often feel like I'm saying something I shouldn't even though I'm certain of what I'm seeing. I don't think anything demonstrates it better than a greeting from a football club to Jews for Yom Kippur and nearly every comment being about Israel or a promise to unfollow the club. This is a kind of unrestrained hatred that has nothing to do with politics and belies people's insistence that they see a separation between support of Israel and Jewishness. Is there room for Jews in societies where this is the stock response to any Jewish holiday, to Holocaust Remembrance Day, or to any mention of Jewishness?

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1438058647519744002
    You aren't saying something that you shouldn't. Because I recognize the antisemitism in the Pro-Palestine movement too.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    What is the 'Met Gala'? Every year I see photos of the well-known and to me, the unknown, mostly women dressed in designer frocks walking up some steps, or posing inside the lobby. What happens then? They go into a ballroom, stand around, gossip and drink white wine with canapés? Is that it? What is the news content?

As for AOC, I am amazed this appeared in the Telegraph (and so are the readers if the obnoxious comments are a guide, some referring to AOC as a 'Radical Left' even 'Revolutionary Left [!]) -but who is the woman in white standing next to her?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...trumpian-game/
    The woman who designed the dress.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    The woman who designed the dress.
    Thanks for the confirmation -MJ Rodriguez was also at the Gala, though she didn't make it to the galleries I saw, even though she has been nominated for an Emmy -so much for the 'Woke' waffle we keep hearing about?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...eading-actress

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

So now we know what the basis is for the Texas abortion ban- blame the women.

I assume Miller believes marriage can only be the union of a man and a woman- as defined by him-, and the children the consequence of sexual intercourse -so maybe he should persuade Greg Abbot f the Bible and his legislators, to make it illegal for a man to ejaculate outside of sexual intercourse, to 'level it up' with the women who say no, which as a strategy doesn't work with rapists and grubby uncles.

Thomas Hobbes published Leviathan in 1651, in which Reason replaces Faith as the foundation of the State of Government Hobbes argued was preferable to a State of Nature. Here we are, 370 years later, and it seems the propostion has been reversed.

"The legal architect of the Texas abortion ban has argued in a supreme court brief that overturning Roe v Wade, the landmark decision which guarantees a right to abortion in the US, could cause women to practice abstinence from sexual intercourseas a way to “control their reproductive lives”.
    “Women can ‘control their reproductive lives’ without access to abortion; they can do so by refraining from sexual intercourse,” Mitchell wrote in the brief. “One can imagine a scenario in which a woman has chosen to engage in unprotected (or insufficiently protected) sexual intercourse on the assumption that an abortion will be available to her later. But when this court announces the overruling of Roe, that individual can simply change their behavior in response to the court’s decision if she no longer wants to take the risk of an unwanted pregnancy.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...me-court-brief

So, today, a question for the Americans here-

Are you a Legacy American, or are you an Obedient Immigrant?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...emacy-1231248/

Reading about the emerging petrol crises in Britain reminds me of the one I lived through here in the US in 1973 (although caused by an actual 'gas' shortage in the US back then) .
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/28/w...-shortage.html
    I'm so glad that I decided to "kiss my gas goodbye" when I traded in my Cadillac and became the proud owner of an all electric 2020 Nissan Leaf SL Plus . And here in California 95% of our electric is from renewable sources . Admittedly I've got a lot of making up to do after 20 years of driving my Cadillac Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    Reading about the emerging petrol crises in Britain reminds me of the one I lived through here in the US in 1973 (although caused by an actual 'gas' shortage in the US back then) .
    I read in a book that at the time someone saw a sticker on the back of a car in the 'Sayuth' which read 'Drive 90, Kill a Yankee'...must have been Texas.

Democracy on the choppng block...in Texas (again! Why don't they just declare independence and make Trump their President for Life?)

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/plot-again...090047904.html

I read in a book that at the time someone saw a sticker on the back of a car in the 'Sayuth' which read 'Drive 90, Kill a Yankee'...must have been Texas.
    What is 'Sayuth' I Googled it and still don't understand ? Although the sentiment was certainly common in the South back then in the days before 'political correctness' .

Democracy on the choppng block...in Texas (again! Why don't they just declare independence and make Trump their President for Life?)

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/plot-again...090047904.html
    Yes, 'gerrymandering' just smacks of rigging and corruption. I've intermittently read of moves to ban it over the years but nothing ever seems to change!