Page 4 of 220 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast

Default Re: Thought for the Day

And now , for something completely different , or maybe not .
    Personality disorders.
    I am amazed by the number of people I have known over the years,and now know with severe personality disorders . This includes friends, people in the workplace and extended family.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...lity-disorders
    But what really disturbs me is the abysmal lack of understanding on the part of the friends , family and coworkers in identifying and dealing with such people.
    A 2007 National Institutes of Mental Health study found that roughly 9 percent of US adults have a personality disorder.
    http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science...pulation.shtml
    I have seen families and careers severely damaged or ruined and friends and families permanently scarred .This due largely to the general inability of most people to identify and understand personality disorders in the people they encounter in everyday life.
    Sure , our 'instinct' may tell us that "so and so " is difficult or unpleasant or unreliable and warn us away from more intimate personal or professional association with that person. But what do you do if that person is your boss or girlfriend ,wife or father?
    Fortunately , they are easy to spot with a little knowledge.
    Take a look at the 10 personality disorders outlined above and perhaps you will see someone you know.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by sukumvit boy; 06-20-2016 at 07:21 AM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The problem may be that ever since it became 'normal' to describe other people as 'mad' the stigma has got in the way of understanding. Yes, it is the case that we try to analyse the reasons behind the most terrible crimes, and produce a reasoned explanation, but the lingering thought for many is that the criminal was 'mad' because this helps to separate them out from the rest of us and measure that distance as a way of feeling safe. And yet at any one time in the Mall we may be passing someone who is convinced that he is being followed by a secret army of people who communicate with each other by whistling. Every time he hears someone whistle, he knows they are watching him. Or the person who believes her sister is plotting with another sister to sell their parent's home whe they die and not tell her. Or those who think the world economy is run by a secret government made up of the Illuminati, the Bilderberg Group, the Bohemian Grove and, of course 'the Jews'.

The real problem is that helping people with behavioural and psychological problems so that they can fit into the social structures we have, and work and enjoy a reasonable degree of interaction with others, and not feel isolated, alone or alienated, is that it costs money -a lot of money, and the creation of social services across the country. And mental health has been the Cinderalla of social services for as long as I can recall, and has yet to make it to the Ball.

Rudolph Giuliani has offered the citizens of the USA the following insight into crime in the USA-
    “If I were a black father and I was concerned about the safety of my child – really concerned about it and not in a politically activist sense – I would say, ‘Be very respectful to the police, most of them are good, some can be very bad and just be very careful’,” Mr Giuliani explained.

“I'd also say, ‘Be very careful of those kids in the neighbourhood, don't get involved with them because son, there's a 99 per cent chance they're going to kill you, not the police’.”
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7129926.html

As a large proportion of women in the US are murdered or raped by their husbands, partners or men known to them, would Rudolph Giuliani suggest that women not get involved -let alone consider marriage and the family- with 'the kids in the neighbourhood' who are more likely to rape and kill them than the police? But I guess in the long term it would help reduce overcrowding in neglected urban neighbourhoods...

Have we not moved on from the 'fascinating sociology' of Daniel Moynihan and Charles Murray?

Senior Member Silver Poster

Let's see....when it comes to rating this chick...I would give her,....oh,.....an EIGHT.

free image hosting

If I told you the stories about working with black guys in their twenties in Washington DC I'd be branded a racist, for sure. When it comes to blacks and whites, we are talking two completely different races, and two completely different realities.

Guiliani is fishing for a paying gig on Fox News, plain and simple.
    Everybody is imperfect, and the TRUTH is decided by adding up five different people's opinions and dividing by five.
    What it is is what it is and it's a curse or a blessing, all depending on the way you look at it.

World Class Asshole

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Rudolph Giuliani has offered the citizens of the USA the following insight into crime in the USA-
    “If I were a black father and I was concerned about the safety of my child – really concerned about it and not in a politically activist sense – I would say, ‘Be very respectful to the police, most of them are good, some can be very bad and just be very careful’,” Mr Giuliani explained.

“I'd also say, ‘Be very careful of those kids in the neighbourhood, don't get involved with them because son, there's a 99 per cent chance they're going to kill you, not the police’.”
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7129926.html

As a large proportion of women in the US are murdered or raped by their husbands, partners or men known to them, would Rudolph Giuliani suggest that women not get involved -let alone consider marriage and the family- with 'the kids in the neighbourhood' who are more likely to rape and kill them than the police? But I guess in the long term it would help reduce overcrowding in neglected urban neighbourhoods...

Have we not moved on from the 'fascinating sociology' of Daniel Moynihan and Charles Murray?
    Black mothers and fathers DO instruct sons and daughters on how to behave when pull over by the police. Don’t be confrontational. Keep your hands in sight. Ask permission to reach for the registration, etc. Mr. Giuliani is more interested, with his remarks, in propagating old stereotypes than passing on advice. Where does he advise police officers to be respectful as well?

Children are color are warned of all sorts of things. Stay away from gangs, stay away from drugs. Should urban children stay indoors all day? Children become socialized by their interactions with other children and young children, whether in the city or the suburbs usually find their playmates in the neighborhood. Instead of addressing the question of what Black families presumably aren’t telling their children, Giuliani should be addressing the economic and institutional reasons why urban neighborhoods have become such difficult places for raising kids.

I thank you for your analogy with women and marriage.
    __________________________________________________ _

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    If I told you the stories about working with black guys in their twenties in Washington DC I'd be branded a racist, for sure. When it comes to blacks and whites, we are talking two completely different races, and two completely different realities.
    If I told you the stories about working with white guys when I worked as a part time janitor in the summers for aluminum foundry, you’d brand them racist, crude and homophobic. I think factories, foundries, construction etc. aren’t conducive to polite behaviors. Manual labor was a hard way to make a living half a century ago and even more so today. Working men are often frustrated, trying to impress each other and bolster their own egos. There are no races - we’re just people and we live in the same world. The problem is that we perceive each other as different and often as in competition with each other.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    ....The problem is that we perceive each other as different and often as in competition with each other.
    That's a job interview!!!

World Class Asshole

[QUOTE=buttslinger;1704670]
    /QUOTE]

I also worked with Black people and can't say I noticed any substantial differences between us, other than their repertoire of swear words, and a tendency to prefer Rum over Whisky, perhaps due to their Caribbean heritage.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

That's a job interview!!!
    There's one guy interviewing these days for the job of President of the United States, and he's certainly pushing the idea that we belong to distinct races and tribes and that we are all in competition with each other for jobs, for housing, for health care, for education etc. We could all compete individually, or by tribe for these things; or we could cooperate and provide these things for ourselves and each other. Some of us might make better deals for ourselves if we go it alone - but then there's the other 99.9% where you and I by happenstance fall.

BTW: I give that woman a ten, just for being able to hold that many huge juggs - I mean beer MUGS - without a tray. She can be my friend any day.

Last edited by trish; 07-12-2016 at 12:10 AM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

I'd say poor people in general focus on social interests, while more affluent people cultivate their own personal interests.
    I would add that the Republican Party steers legislature toward the interests of the rich, while the Democrats legislate towards the interests of the middle class. Nobody wants to carry poor people. Poor people have each other, and neither Stavros nor Trish would be welcomed into their circle.

World Class Asshole

I'd say poor people in general focus on social interests, while more affluent people cultivate their own personal interests.
    I would add that the Republican Party steers legislature toward the interests of the rich, while the Democrats legislate towards the interests of the middle class. Nobody wants to carry poor people. Poor people have each other, and neither Stavros nor Trish would be welcomed into their circle.
    I think you will find that the poor spend most of their time trying to survive, and that it was the depression of the 1930s that established the Democrats as the party of the poor as well as the middle class. But just as with 'New Labour' under Tony Blair, the Clinton era had to confront a declining blue collar base as heavy industry in the US declined as a major source of work for the working class who graduated from High School but did not go on to university. As with 'New Labour' the Democrats recruited local government white collar workers and high tech graduates with a working class background as a substitute for the declining blue collar base, but in the US case the obsession with 'working people' and the 'Middle Class' makes one wonder if the Democrats have in fact turned away from the poor and the unemployed, and this is where I see the sharp difference between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders.
    Mrs Clinton's economic programme looks to me like an expansion of Federal agency jobs funded by the tax-payer, which is fine for many middle class people, including the Black Middle Class, but there are too many Americans in poor neighborhoods or regions of the country leaving school unable to read or write to the level required to push paper around an office or filter a thousand emails a day. This is one reason why education is critical for the future of the USA, and why it beggars belief that it does not have a whole section to itself on Donald Trump's website where it doesn't even rank as a 'Position'. A country that does not invest in education is not investing in the future and causing more problems with high cost consequences than it needs or should want.