Page 5 of 220 FirstFirst 123456789101555105 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Silver Poster

Default Re: Thought for the Day

Trump doesn't even mention education!!
    Every kid in school costs the taxpayer close to ten grand, that's why the Republican fatcats don't like it. Why teach Shakespeare to a car mechanic or garbageman?
    Bernie, on the other hand, is ultra pro education, maybe gene scientists of the future can filter out all the troublesome chromosomes and make a perfect race of Humanoids. Through Science.
    People look at Teaching as a calling rather than a job,
    My brother went to College with lots of rich white guys who were schooled in Expensive Private Schools, he said they were no better in general than anybody else, but when an important exam was coming up, they went into the ZONE, they would disappear into their rooms.
    As dire as the situation seems with Donald Trump, this is a fantastic time to be a Democrat in the USA.
    A Woman and Commie on the steps of the White House???
    The Republican Convention is going to expose the real Donald Trump.
    Reality is going to set in.
    Reality is the test.
    I give my main man Obama an A+
    Racism is a can of worms that's been fermenting in the can for 200 years, the stench is unbelievable.
    It's an American Dish.
    Rent THE WIRE, Stavros. It's Obama's favorite TV show.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    World Class Asshole

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Just a riff on your post, nothing more:
    I look at teaching as my day job; research my night job (and calling). In larger universities it's the other way around. I love to teach, though. I can spend hours thinking through and breaking down the material into digestible chunks and arranging it into a logical and pedagogically natural sequence. I'm a bit old fashioned in my approach. Rather than lead an meandering discussion where the students explore on their own, I still prefer to present a well planned lecture and answer the questions that arise as I go. Home and study groups are the places for exploring ideas.
    Most of my students will probably never apply, in a direct way, the subjects I teach. Why teach a garbageman Shakespeare, or Nabokov? You don't really. You expose him to human values well expressed, as well as to the process of reading and thinking questioningly and how to be critical and open at the same time. I know a meat packer who reads Kazuo Ishiguro. He remembers he had a crush on his old high school English teacher.

Living in exciting times, I believe, is an ancient Chinese curse. I do hope you're right about reality setting in (as opposed to reality TV).

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Just a riff on your post, nothing more:
    I look at teaching as my day job; research my night job (and calling). In larger universities it's the other way around. I love to teach, though. I can spend hours thinking through and breaking down the material into digestible chunks and arranging it into a logical and pedagogically natural sequence. I'm a bit old fashioned in my approach. Rather than lead an meandering discussion where the students explore on their own, I still prefer to present a well planned lecture and answer the questions that arise as I go. Home and study groups are the places for exploring ideas.
    Most of my students will probably never apply, in a direct way, the subjects I teach. Why teach a garbageman Shakespeare, or Nabokov? You don't really. You expose him to human values well expressed, as well as to the process of reading and thinking questioningly and how to be critical and open at the same time. I know a meat packer who reads Kazuo Ishiguro. He remembers he had a crush on his old high school English teacher.

Living in exciting times, I believe, is an ancient Chinese curse. I do hope you're right about reality setting in (as opposed to reality TV).

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Welcome back, Martin. Gee, thanks! That’s got that bit over. Currently educational theory and practice demotes the lecture and promotes problem-based learning and self-discovery. I like to call it FOFO learning (for Fuck Off and Find Out). There is little better than a well-presented lecture given by an enthusiastic expert. I used to teach quite complicated engineering math(s) without notes. Occasionally, I’d mess up a problem – but it showed the students that could make a mistake and how I argued my way back.

I’m all for active learning and being lectured to can be active.

I don’t teach now, just research (my calling). If that is what Trish meant, ‘cos she’s never called me.

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Hats off to our teachers.
    My thought for the day ,... I just wanted to share some excellent video coverage of todays' successful SpaceX launch and first stage recovery in the resupply mission to the International Space Station.
    http://www.spacex.com/webcast

Wow . now that was some convention ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DumpsterFire2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	951776

Senior Member Silver Poster

Here's my thought for the day:
    Donald Trump has been getting a PASS on everything from the Conservative Media, and really, the media at large, really,...but if Novembertime starts approaching and it looks like Trump has any real chance of getting into the White House,.........(which would have to mean a Republican House, Senate, and Supreme Court in Donald Trump's little hands)

World Class Asshole

His hands be too small to steer the ship of state!

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    His greed though big enough.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twtjebkms5hvjr0wiinh.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	953162

That sail will need a steady hand on the tiller to steer straight...

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...iter-tells-all
    Excellent New Yorker article.
    Tony Schwartz who ghostwrite "The Art of the Deal" felt compelled to speak out about the "sociopath , compulsive liar and bully" he came to know.

5 out of 5 members liked this post.